Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

You can tell I live in North London

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: You can tell I live in North London

Postby AF62 » July 27th, 2021, 4:44 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:Well seriously my nephew, who had made ludicrous sums setting up and running a hedge fund and was a complete foodie, got a Michelin starred chef downfrom his favourite London Restaurant, to cook a meal for his builders as a thank you when they had finished the extensive works to his medieval manor in Oxfordshire. :D

Although that sounds a nice gesture, I am sure that whatever was spent on the Michelin starred chef that the builders would have far preferred the equivalent as a 'thank you' cash tip to do with as they wished.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » July 27th, 2021, 5:49 pm

Although that sounds a nice gesture, I am sure that whatever was spent on the Michelin starred chef that the builders would have far preferred the equivalent as a 'thank you' cash tip to do with as they wished.

As a part time dweller in North West London (I know, I know), that even to me sounds condescending.

T7

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 27th, 2021, 7:04 pm

terminal7 wrote:

As a part time dweller in North West London (I know, I know), that even to me sounds condescending.

T7

Honestly?

If you had done a good job for a client (whatever that job was) would you have preferred that the client invited you to sit down with them for a meal where you might well be forced to feign enjoyment and entertainment, or the client simply said "thanks" and "here is a bonus for your good work" - a bonus that you could then use to take your significant other and family out for a treat to enjoy as you wished.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » July 28th, 2021, 7:35 am

AF62 wrote:
terminal7 wrote:

T7

Honestly?

If you had done a good job for a client (whatever that job was) would you have preferred that the client invited you to sit down with them for a meal where you might well be forced to feign enjoyment and entertainment, or the client simply said "thanks" and "here is a bonus for your good work" - a bonus that you could then use to take your significant other and family out for a treat to enjoy as you wished.

Honestly. Well it's not binary, but from a business perspective it would more likely be the interaction with the client. Getting to know him, and his circle of contacts better, as an access route to repeat business and recommendation. Not that I am in the building game, but these are lengthy projects. I would already know my client enough to know whether I would enjoy spending time in his company, or not. Nobody would be forcing me to do anything - that's an odd world I don't live in.

Cash Tip? Not usual in my world, and can't imagine being offered one, let alone taking it.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » July 28th, 2021, 8:24 am

AF62 wrote:
terminal7 wrote:

T7

Honestly?

Workers REALLY appreciate an unexpected cash bonus. I paid one last month to our long-suffering staff and immediately got a wonderful handwritten letter of thanks from the supervisor on behalf of all the staff. I really don't think a single meal, no matter how fancy, would have been received with quite the same enthusiasm!

GS

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 28th, 2021, 9:49 am

GoSeigen wrote:
AF62 wrote:
terminal7 wrote:As a part time dweller in North West London (I know, I know), that even to me sounds condescending.

Honestly? If you had done a good job for a client (whatever that job was) would you have preferred that the client invited you to sit down with them for a meal where you might well be forced to feign enjoyment and entertainment, or the client simply said "thanks" and "here is a bonus for your good work" - a bonus that you could then use to take your significant other and family out for a treat to enjoy as you wished.

Workers REALLY appreciate an unexpected cash bonus. I paid one last month to our long-suffering staff and immediately got a wonderful handwritten letter of thanks from the supervisor on behalf of all the staff. I really don't think a single meal, no matter how fancy, would have been received with quite the same enthusiasm!

Ah, but you have changed the example there from contractors to workers.

So of course the manager of a business can give a cash bonus to his staff. That is routine.

But if you have an outside contractor do a job for you then it would be much more unusual to give them some kind of cash tip at the end. And it might even raise questions of bribery to get the contract in the first place. Whereas hosting a dinner, party, trip or some other shindig is common to commemorate the successful completion of a project.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » July 28th, 2021, 10:42 am

Lootman wrote:
GoSeigen wrote:
AF62 wrote:Honestly? If you had done a good job for a client (whatever that job was) would you have preferred that the client invited you to sit down with them for a meal where you might well be forced to feign enjoyment and entertainment, or the client simply said "thanks" and "here is a bonus for your good work" - a bonus that you could then use to take your significant other and family out for a treat to enjoy as you wished.

Ah, but you have changed the example there from contractors to workers.

So of course the manager of a business can give a cash bonus to his staff. That is routine.

But if you have an outside contractor do a job for you then it would be much more unusual to give them some kind of cash tip at the end. And it might even raise questions of bribery to get the contract in the first place. Whereas hosting a dinner, party, trip or some other shindig is common to commemorate the successful completion of a project.

Ah, I missed that subtlety, when I read "to cook a meal for his builders" I hastily assumed they were his own employees.

GS

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » July 28th, 2021, 8:23 pm

Have you North Londoners been up the Marble Arch Mound yet?

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » July 28th, 2021, 9:59 pm

pje16 wrote:I guess he didn't get out much :lol: (esp up North)

He'd never lived there, was dropped into a safe seat by Blair. He lived at 10 Northumberland Place, W2; bought with money borrowed from Geoffrey Robinson, Labour's Paymaster General*

* Wiki: 'Geoffrey Robinson (born 25 May 1938) is a British Labour Party politician who was the Member of Parliament (MP) for Coventry North West for 43 years, from 1976 to 2019. He was Paymaster General from May 1997 to December 1998, resigning after it was revealed that he had lent his government colleague Peter Mandelson £373,000 to buy a house. From 1996 to 2008 he was the owner of the New Statesman, a centre-left weekly political magazine.' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_Robinson

New Labour, ie entirely unembarrassed about being filthy rich. Unlike Old Labour, the likes on Viscount Anthony Benn, who renounced his weighty title and styled himself Tony, man of the workers. 180 degrees the opposite of the other later Tony B...

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » August 13th, 2021, 9:08 am

The builders are still here. Radio blaring. Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 1

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » August 13th, 2021, 9:23 am

DiamondEcho wrote:
pje16 wrote:I guess he didn't get out much :lol: (esp up North)

He'd never lived there, was dropped into a safe seat by Blair. He lived at 10 Northumberland Place, W2; bought with money borrowed from Geoffrey Robinson, Labour's Paymaster General*

* Wiki: 'Geoffrey Robinson (born 25 May 1938) is a British Labour Party politician who was the Member of Parliament (MP) for Coventry North West for 43 years, from 1976 to 2019. He was Paymaster General from May 1997 to December 1998, resigning after it was revealed that he had lent his government colleague Peter Mandelson £373,000 to buy a house. From 1996 to 2008 he was the owner of the New Statesman, a centre-left weekly political magazine.' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_Robinson

New Labour, ie entirely unembarrassed about being filthy rich. Unlike Old Labour, the likes on Viscount Anthony Benn, who renounced his weighty title and styled himself Tony, man of the workers. 180 degrees the opposite of the other later Tony B...

Of course it was Tony Benn who really was filthy rich, or at least his wife and her family who as I recall owned half of Cincinnati :D

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”