Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Not enough Olympics already

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Not enough Olympics already

Postby pje16 » July 30th, 2021, 12:57 pm

MrFoolish wrote:Which is another reason I don't think it should be in the Olympics. How can you award medals when so much of it comes down to the horse? Perhaps the horse should get a medal too - how big is the podium?

and if his name is Mr Ed he may well say thanks for the medal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_Ed

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » July 30th, 2021, 3:15 pm

MrFoolish wrote:
moorfield wrote: It's not an individual sport being a test of both rider and horse

Which is another reason I don't think it should be in the Olympics. How can you award medals when so much of it comes down to the horse? Perhaps the horse should get a medal too - how big is the podium?

How can you award medals when so much of it comes down to the boat

How can you award medals when so much of it comes down to the bike

How can you award medals when so much of it comes down to the shoes

How can you award medals when so much of it comes down to the fabric of the swimming costume

How can you award medals when so much of it comes down to the racquet

How can you award medals when so much of it comes down to the board?

DM

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 30th, 2021, 3:27 pm

Some examples above are a bit tenuous
Put any running shoes on Usain Bolt and he would have won :roll:

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » July 30th, 2021, 4:50 pm

pje16 wrote:Some examples above are a bit tenuous

https://theconversation.com/nike-vaporf ... oes-131249

DM

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 30th, 2021, 5:40 pm

dionaeamuscipula wrote:
pje16 wrote:Some examples above are a bit tenuous

https://theconversation.com/nike-vaporf ... oes-131249

DM

Such issues would be completely avoided if the Olympic Games were played as the ancient Greeks did -- totally naked.

Would boost viewing figures too. :D

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 1st, 2021, 8:27 am

dealtn wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:
Back in the "old days" of a few years back, people who showed real expertise or talent could get away with it: Michael Palin, Julia Bradbury, Michael Portillo, Mary Beard had real ideas and came up with good programs where effort was put into detail. Or if it's a genuine expert - say a historian or archaeologist visiting a site - that's fine by me. But z listers who know nothing outside the script can stay at home.

Arb.

Or you could exercise the option of not watching. Most such programmes are "entertainment" and work to the same rules of demand as others. Many like to watch them.

I DON'T watch them!
That doesn't stop be being able to criticism the whole concept of so called "celebrities" getting a free holiday at others expense. If I see the name Tichmarsh, for example, I'll look elsewhere, thanks. On the other hand, and acknowledged expert will have me taking a second look.

If you want dumbing down, that's up to you, but it isn't something I would encourage or rejoice in.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 1st, 2021, 8:33 am

MrFoolish wrote:The dressage is more akin to a circus performance than a serious competitive sport. Olympic events should be about individual athleticism and preferably not too subjective. Making a horse prance about is stretching things too far in my opinion.

Whether or not it's stretching things, you are quite wrong about it not being a serious competition. It really is - and it is a highly disciplined and skillful one. Competition is extremely fierce and for those interested can create moments of great tension, as does show jumping. Many people can recognise and appreciate the fact: others will be blind to it.

There are many events which leave me cold too, but I usually see the skill.

Arb.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » August 1st, 2021, 8:41 am

Arborbridge wrote:
dealtn wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:
Back in the "old days" of a few years back, people who showed real expertise or talent could get away with it: Michael Palin, Julia Bradbury, Michael Portillo, Mary Beard had real ideas and came up with good programs where effort was put into detail. Or if it's a genuine expert - say a historian or archaeologist visiting a site - that's fine by me. But z listers who know nothing outside the script can stay at home.

Arb.

Or you could exercise the option of not watching. Most such programmes are "entertainment" and work to the same rules of demand as others. Many like to watch them.

I DON'T watch them!
That doesn't stop be being able to criticism the whole concept of so called "celebrities" getting a free holiday at others expense. If I see the name Tichmarsh, for example, I'll look elsewhere, thanks. On the other hand, and acknowledged expert will have me taking a second look.

If you want dumbing down, that's up to you, but it isn't something I would encourage or rejoice in.

Arb.

Who said I watched them?

I'm not the one proposing others can't watch what they want to watch though. Or that TV companies can't produce what their audience wants to watch.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 1st, 2021, 9:03 am

Snorvey wrote:Jesus, can you imagine the men's 110m high hurdles?

Ouch......ouch....ouch... ..ouch.....etc

Given there's now mixed relays it could lead to awkward "that's not the baton" moments

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » August 1st, 2021, 10:12 am

Arborbridge wrote:
MrFoolish wrote:The dressage is more akin to a circus performance than a serious competitive sport. Olympic events should be about individual athleticism and preferably not too subjective. Making a horse prance about is stretching things too far in my opinion.

Whether or not it's stretching things, you are quite wrong about it not being a serious competition. It really is - and it is a highly disciplined and skillful one. Competition is extremely fierce and for those interested can create moments of great tension, as does show jumping. Many people can recognise and appreciate the fact: others will be blind to it.

There are many events which leave me cold too, but I usually see the skill.

Arb.

It should take more than a level of skill to qualify it as an olympic event. Otherwise we might as well include snooker, darts and the potters wheel.

Sorry but dressage just comes across as a bit silly. And I fail to see what the horse gets out of it. We've stopped making animals perform tricks in circuses haven't we?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 1st, 2021, 10:50 am

Past the halfway mark now. Normal life will resume in another week or so. :)

BJ

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 1st, 2021, 11:10 am

MrFoolish wrote:It should take more than a level of skill to qualify it as an olympic event. Otherwise we might as well include snooker, darts and the potters wheel.

No takers for tiddlywinks or marbles :lol: :lol:

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » August 1st, 2021, 12:39 pm

MrFoolish wrote:It should take more than a level of skill to qualify it as an olympic event. Otherwise we might as well include snooker, darts and the potters wheel.
Sorry but dressage just comes across as a bit silly. And I fail to see what the horse gets out of it. We've stopped making animals perform tricks in circuses haven't we?

In order to qualify as a sport, a hobby or pasttime must meet both of the following 2 requirements:
1) Physicality. Participants must at least break sweat (on a cold day, sunbathing definitely does not qualify).
2) Objectivity. Whilst there may be an umpire to adjudicate fair play, they should not decide the outcome.

Quite a few Olympic "sports" fail the second test. Dressage may be the only one that fails both.

FWIW I think the Olympics should dump all the sports that have bigger international competitions of their own. Football, Tennis, golf etc. They just steal the publicity/limelight from the others.

;)

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » August 1st, 2021, 12:44 pm

gryffron wrote:
FWIW I think the Olympics should dump all the sports that have bigger international competitions of their own. Football, Tennis, golf etc. They just steal the publicity/limelight from the others.

;)

What would that leave then?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 1st, 2021, 12:51 pm

pje16 wrote:

No takers for tiddlywinks or marbles :lol: :lol:

...but curling in the cold version?

and isn't archery just darts with a helping string?

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » August 1st, 2021, 12:52 pm

dealtn wrote:What would that leave then?

Most of the rest. Athletics, swimming, sailing...
What else has "bigger" events (in terms of money/viewers) than the olympics? Probably only boxing to add to my previous list. Maybe baseball & basketball, although these are pretty minority in most of the world.

Gryff

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » August 1st, 2021, 12:53 pm

gryffron wrote:In order to qualify as a sport, a hobby or pasttime must meet both of the following 2 requirements:
1) Physicality. Participants must at least break sweat (on a cold day, sunbathing definitely does not qualify).
2) Objectivity. Whilst there may be an umpire to adjudicate fair play, they should not decide the outcome.

Quite a few Olympic "sports" fail the second test. Dressage may be the only one that fails both.

I'd suggest you book yourself a few riding lessons, and come report back to us on point 1) ...

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » August 1st, 2021, 1:33 pm

gryffron wrote:
dealtn wrote:What would that leave then?

Most of the rest. Athletics, swimming, sailing...
What else has "bigger" events (in terms of money/viewers) than the olympics? Probably only boxing to add to my previous list. Maybe baseball & basketball, although these are pretty minority in most of the world.

Gryff

Ah, you are ranking them then on money/viewers, rather than on how they are perceived in the sport themselves.

Athletics International events plenty of prize money, Olympics none.

Swimming World Championships 76 events >$100k prize money for winning, Olympics 37 events no prize money.

Sailing America's Cup money is astronomical

Rowing more events in World Championship regatta than the Olympics

With many sports having "no money", and only shown as part of a bigger, and more viewable event like the Olympics, it isn't surprising on your metric the Olympics is that sport's peak. Our judgement on your original suggestion "bigger international competitions of their own" would be different.

Then again I don't agree on your elimination of the higher profile events anyway. That would diminish the remainder in itself.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 3rd, 2021, 8:03 am

bungeejumper wrote:Past the halfway mark now. Normal life will resume in another week or so. :)

BJ

AFAIK, normal life has hardly been interrupted by the Olympics. Most people I know haven't been following it as in previous Olympics and the whole thing is a little on the damp squib side.
I hear a bit on the news, or occasionally have sought out an event to watch on video, but otherwise normal life - that is watching Buffy (now on the final stages of the 144 episodes) continues to take precedence :)

Arb.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 3rd, 2021, 8:21 am

make sure you watch the men's 400m hurdles
won't spoil it - just watch it

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”