Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Not enough Olympics already

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: Not enough Olympics already

Postby Arborbridge » August 3rd, 2021, 9:29 am

gryffron wrote:
MrFoolish wrote:It should take more than a level of skill to qualify it as an olympic event. Otherwise we might as well include snooker, darts and the potters wheel.
Sorry but dressage just comes across as a bit silly. And I fail to see what the horse gets out of it. We've stopped making animals perform tricks in circuses haven't we?

In order to qualify as a sport, a hobby or pasttime must meet both of the following 2 requirements:
1) Physicality. Participants must at least break sweat (on a cold day, sunbathing definitely does not qualify).
2) Objectivity. Whilst there may be an umpire to adjudicate fair play, they should not decide the outcome.

Quite a few Olympic "sports" fail the second test. Dressage may be the only one that fails both.

FWIW I think the Olympics should dump all the sports that have bigger international competitions of their own. Football, Tennis, golf etc. They just steal the publicity/limelight from the others.

;)

That's your own definition, I suppose? I can break out in a sweat doing nothing :lol: And what does physicality mean? Surely not just big chunky blokes? - and there's a spectrum on chunkiness from weightlifters to dressage which is still physical but more about subtle control. You can draw the line where you like - some might even go back to the original of the games and exclude most of the modern sports. Thoug, know some have even lobbied for darts....

As for "umpires" I think that dressage passes on that basis - it must be one of the most judged of sports as there are usually panels of expert judges around the arena of different nationalities. I'm not sure what the system is at the Olympics, but it would be normal to have them on all four sides so each judge gets a different perspective.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 3rd, 2021, 9:33 am

dealtn wrote:
I'm not the one proposing others can't watch what they want to watch though. Or that TV companies can't produce what their audience wants to watch.

Neither am I the one, and I wouldn't want others to think I believe that. You can watch what you like: TV companies can make what they like. I don't have to approve any more than you do.

All I've said is what I meant - acknowledging people's freedom of choice doesn't stop me criticising those types of programs I referred to.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 3rd, 2021, 9:35 am

pje16 wrote:make sure you watch the men's 400m hurdles
won't spoil it - just watch it

My fingers are bananas today. Trying to google the above, I realise I had searched for "mens 400mm gurdles" :lol:

Having types it correctly, the only videos which come up are "not available in your region".

You'd think organisations would want as wide a coverage as possible to show them in a good light.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » August 3rd, 2021, 9:52 am

Arborbridge wrote:
pje16 wrote:make sure you watch the men's 400m hurdles
won't spoil it - just watch it

My fingers are bananas today. Trying to google the above, I realise I had searched for "mens 400mm gurdles" :lol:

Having types it correctly, the only videos which come up are "not available in your region".

You'd think organisations would want as wide a coverage as possible to show them in a good light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iykQvjQ_Po

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » August 3rd, 2021, 2:45 pm

So many new sports, well new to me.

What's missing is the organic egg & sustainable spoon race, where the team must lay its own egg, and carve its own spoon from certified timber before running. The egg can be any type of egg... runner duck might be suitable.

V8

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 3rd, 2021, 3:59 pm

Cadburys Cream one ok ? :lol: :lol:

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”