Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Light hearted, possibly trite, hopefully thought provoking?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Light hearted, possibly trite, hopefully thought provoking?

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » September 10th, 2021, 10:08 am

Because I'm human I have a couple of minor flaws :lol:

I do over-think and at times I can take myself way too seriously albeit have recently been able to reflect on both behaviours and manage them a little more efficiently both to my own benefit and those I interact with.

I can be quite defensive too.

Is it just me?

AiY

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Light hearted, possibly trite, hopefully thought provoking?

Postby bungeejumper » September 10th, 2021, 10:30 am

History has always been full of overthinkers. They're the ones who question things and develop new ideas. They also make up for the countless millions of underthinkers. Good job, keep at it. :D

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 10th, 2021, 10:51 am

What do you call an overthinking introspector?

Extraspector? Ultraspector? Hmmm .... nope.
Maybe introsuperspectre? Whoops, mustn't get carried away with misspellings like that. Damn, can't make this work. Over to you ...

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 10th, 2021, 11:16 am

I've recently realised i don't really care that much about most things these days, compared with my past self
Must be an age thing!
More worryingly I seem to have lost interest in my hobbies - haven't picked up my guitar for months, although I'm still listening to a lot of music.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 10th, 2021, 11:37 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Because I'm human I have a couple of minor flaws :lol:

I do over-think and at times I can take myself way too seriously albeit have recently been able to reflect on both behaviours and manage them a little more efficiently both to my own benefit and those I interact with.

I can be quite defensive too.

Is it just me?

AiY

If you have just a couple of minor flaws......yes, it's just you ;)
Or you have an unbelievably tolerant wife :lol:

--kiloran

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 11th, 2021, 5:37 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:More worryingly I seem to have lost interest in my hobbies - haven't picked up my guitar for months, although I'm still listening to a lot of music.

Now that could be a bit worrying
- or it could just be you need a looper pedal?

-sd

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 11th, 2021, 7:43 am

The trouble with over thinkers is that in addition to sometimes being great at inventing new stuff they can also be very deliberate in deciding what to do and thus slow things down generally. An over thinker would be best suited for some jobs and not others. For many occupations an over thinker can be a pain in the proverbial, still thinking about yesterday's problems when the whole enterprise has moved on.

Dod

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » September 11th, 2021, 9:50 am

Dod101 wrote:The trouble with over thinkers is that in addition to sometimes being great at inventing new stuff they can also be very deliberate in deciding what to do and thus slow things down generally. An over thinker would be best suited for some jobs and not others. For many occupations an over thinker can be a pain in the proverbial, still thinking about yesterday's problems when the whole enterprise has moved on.

Dod

Oy :lol: Yes I think that's one of the problems some will have. Thankfully my "over-thinking" doesn't flow backwards. Something I should celebrate I suppose. I tend to look into the now and future in great depth. Often I can see what others miss and, not blowing my own trumpet, it's beneficial mostly. But it's damn tiring :shock:

For the most all of my symptoms are now being managed quite well. In itself that's been exhausting. I do sometimes feel bitter but on those occasions I put a huge boot up my own backside and remind myself not to waste what's left of my time. Now it's time to improve my emotional IQ which was left to rot from about the time I started with my symptoms at age 13. I'm not beating myself up - just updating the model.

I'm not sure I could invent anything - more refine I think. In my current role I've been very successful in a short period of time. The building site I was on was both behind program, with no end in site and over budget with no bottom to speak of. I've worked on both in a sort of "patch" role between PM and QS. And we now know a date we will be off site and have found the bottom on the budgets. I've saved about £300K in 6 months and fixed several areas of the supply chain that were clearly not fit for purpose. It's interesting and I do need people skills too. I need to influence, inspire and regrettably on one occasion I've had to pull the contract out. That wasn't a unilateral decision on my part. I report upstream but for the most because I do spend "time" making sure information is robust "we" can make informed decisions beneficial for the business.

AiY

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 11th, 2021, 10:00 am

Dod101 wrote:The trouble with over thinkers is that in addition to sometimes being great at inventing new stuff they can also be very deliberate in deciding what to do and thus slow things down generally.

Dod

Yeah. I just can't decide what to procrastinate over, so I never get around to it.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 11th, 2021, 12:11 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
Dod101 wrote:The trouble with over thinkers is that in addition to sometimes being great at inventing new stuff they can also be very deliberate in deciding what to do and thus slow things down generally. An over thinker would be best suited for some jobs and not others. For many occupations an over thinker can be a pain in the proverbial, still thinking about yesterday's problems when the whole enterprise has moved on.

Dod

Oy :lol: Yes I think that's one of the problems some will have. Thankfully my "over-thinking" doesn't flow backwards. Something I should celebrate I suppose. I tend to look into the now and future in great depth. Often I can see what others miss and, not blowing my own trumpet, it's beneficial mostly. But it's damn tiring :shock:

For the most all of my symptoms are now being managed quite well. In itself that's been exhausting. I do sometimes feel bitter but on those occasions I put a huge boot up my own backside and remind myself not to waste what's left of my time. Now it's time to improve my emotional IQ which was left to rot from about the time I started with my symptoms at age 13. I'm not beating myself up - just updating the model.

I'm not sure I could invent anything - more refine I think. In my current role I've been very successful in a short period of time. The building site I was on was both behind program, with no end in site and over budget with no bottom to speak of. I've worked on both in a sort of "patch" role between PM and QS. And we now know a date we will be off site and have found the bottom on the budgets. I've saved about £300K in 6 months and fixed several areas of the supply chain that were clearly not fit for purpose. It's interesting and I do need people skills too. I need to influence, inspire and regrettably on one occasion I've had to pull the contract out. That wasn't a unilateral decision on my part. I report upstream but for the most because I do spend "time" making sure information is robust "we" can make informed decisions beneficial for the business.

AiY

You sound like the sort of guy needed where you are. In my fairly pressured commercial job, no one had time to over think things and a lot was done on gut feeling. That suited me well because I tend to operate like that anyway. Those who did more or less over think things usually dropped out quite early on, but I think it all depends what sort of job we are in and of course the working environment.

Dod

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 11th, 2021, 12:33 pm

servodude wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:More worryingly I seem to have lost interest in my hobbies - haven't picked up my guitar for months, although I'm still listening to a lot of music.

-sd

I think I need a Line 6 pod... but they seem to be unavailable , other than in a mini version

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » September 11th, 2021, 4:41 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:I've recently realised i don't really care that much about most things these days, compared with my past self
Must be an age thing!
More worryingly I seem to have lost interest in my hobbies - haven't picked up my guitar for months, although I'm still listening to a lot of music.

WHAT! you've not picked up your guitar for HOW long? What's going on, eh?

Let me put temptation your way!

https://www.google.com/search?q=gibson+ ... ivxn&hl=en

https://www.google.com/search?q=guitar+ ... ivxn&hl=en

Failing that.... there's no hope!

:lol:

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » September 11th, 2021, 4:42 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:
servodude wrote:

-sd

I think I need a Line 6 pod... but they seem to be unavailable , other than in a mini version

Have a look at the Line 6 Stomp range.

'Dr' monabri

#and I will fix youuu!

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 11th, 2021, 10:14 pm

that's quite enough Coldplay for one evening ... or for my entire life to be honest

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 12th, 2021, 1:00 am

monabri wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:I've recently realised i don't really care that much about most things these days, compared with my past self
Must be an age thing!

Oh stop it
I've got two perfectly reasonable guitars - Squier Strat , Japanese 90s version and v good, and a Kramer Striker 420 for anything requiring humbuckers, flat neck, and a Floyd Rose trem ....whooooeeewwww..clunk
Unfortunately I've decided I really need a Charvel So-Cal or San Dimas in blue....

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 12th, 2021, 1:13 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:
monabri wrote:
Must be an age thing!

Oh stop it
I've got two perfectly reasonable guitars - Squier Strat , Japanese 90s version and v good, and a Kramer Striker 420 for anything requiring humbuckers, flat neck, and a Floyd Rose trem ....whooooeeewwww..clunk
Unfortunately I've decided I really need a Charvel So-Cal or San Dimas in blue....

+ head band, mullet and wind machine ;)

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » September 12th, 2021, 2:02 am

Given my current (and inevitably) future state of hair the last thing I need is a headband...
Normal is a grade 3 all over, and I'm starting to resemble my nom de web

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleister_ ... rowley.jpg

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » September 12th, 2021, 1:51 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Dod101 wrote:The trouble with over thinkers is that in addition to sometimes being great at inventing new stuff they can also be very deliberate in deciding what to do and thus slow things down generally.

Dod

Yeah. I just can't decide what to procrastinate over, so I never get around to it.

I can never make up my mind about procrastination. Why put off today what you can put off tomorrow? Probably better to sleep on, even during the next five minutes.

TJH

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » September 12th, 2021, 10:21 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

Dod

I can never make up my mind about procrastination. Why put off today what you can put off tomorrow? Probably better to sleep on, even during the next five minutes.

TJH

"What do we want?" "PROCRASTINATION"
"When do we want it?" "SOME TIME NEXT WEEK"

SimonS
Lemon Slice

Postby SimonS » September 16th, 2021, 9:02 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:[

TJH

All we hear about is pro crastination, but what we need is a little anti-crastination.

After all, procrastination is to delay doing something that you know about, so anticrastination is much more subtle, it the art of deliberately not doing something that you don't know you should be doing.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”