Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Genesis on tour

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
BobbyD
Lemon Half

Re: Genesis on tour

Postby BobbyD » September 21st, 2021, 3:42 pm

Laughton wrote:The days when ticket prices were put on a poster are well and truly gone.

Many/most shows now use "dynamic ticket pricing" where prices can be "adjusted" depending on intial and on-going demand.

Promoters and venues are already trying to get rid of the touting business (promoters and artists' managers really do hate the fact that touts are making more money than they are). Buy a ticket from viagogo and don't be too surprised when told it isn't valid when you arrive for the show. The venue will give you a letter confirming and you can use that to get a refund from viagogo - but is it really worth all the hassle?

Whether they print them on a poster or not the fact remains that incredibly savvy multi billion dollar businesses are asking us to believe that they are leaving 75% of the value of their product on the table for Del boy to scoop up... If tickets were sold at market value there wouldn't be a significant secondary market and there wouldn't currently be prime tickets for the very tour under discussion on resale for a significant premium so whatever they think they are doing obviously isn't working. It isn't going to work either. It's actually illegal to resell football tickets in this country, some of the major reselling sites are based in Spain...

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » September 21st, 2021, 5:54 pm

"It's actually illegal to resell football tickets in this country" - and yet it happens.

Here's a suggestion - buy a touted ticket for one of Ed Sheeran's shows next year and see if you get into the venue.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 21st, 2021, 6:34 pm

Laughton wrote:"It's actually illegal to resell football tickets in this country" - and yet it happens.

...a lot, and anybody who wants to circumvent just sets up shop abroad which was rather my point. Regulation isn't going to help in the absence of enforcement, or if the underlying system isn't fit for purpose.

Laughton wrote:Here's a suggestion - buy a touted ticket for one of Ed Sheeran's shows next year and see if you get into the venue.

God no. Knowing my luck they'd let me in.

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » September 21st, 2021, 7:40 pm

The underlying systems are getting better.

Promoters and venues have given up hope of "officials" stopping the trade and many have worked out ways of making things much tougher.

I've had shows at major London venues where viagogo ticket holders have been turned away. The idea is that fans will realise the risk they are taking and stop buying other than through official channels. It's a slow process.

SimonS
Lemon Slice

Postby SimonS » September 21st, 2021, 9:13 pm

Laughton wrote:The underlying systems are getting better.

Promoters and venues have given up hope of "officials" stopping the trade and many have worked out ways of making things much tougher.

I've had shows at major London venues where viagogo ticket holders have been turned away. The idea is that fans will realise the risk they are taking and stop buying other than through official channels. It's a slow process.

I've a memory of one Band (ColdPlay?) selling out in under 4 minutes from the box office opening and a subsequent investigation pointing out that an authorised reseller is by law unable to sell at more than the face price of the ticket and isn't allowed to resell returned tickets. The investgation then revealed the cosy relationship between the organisers and the resellers who were enabled to buy significant numbers of tickets as individuals but who then resold their tickets through the resellers organisation while splitting the difference through a 'sponsorship' deal with the organisers.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, the organisers were able to claim a fan-enabling face price, while making sure that few people actually got to pay that price. Making sure that the media hyped the expected shortage of tickets, heightening the fans Fear of Missing Out and ensuring that they would happily pay the eye-watering resale price to maintain their bragging rights.

In a similar vein, would you queue day and night on a pavement, even travelling to a different country, just so you could buy a new version Apple phone
at a few seconds after midnight on the day it was released on public sale? How galling to discover that complementary copies had been given to 'special service providers' earlier.

SimonS
Lemon Slice

Postby SimonS » September 21st, 2021, 9:35 pm

Watis wrote:
And, looking back, who, among us gig-goers in the 1970s, would have believed anyone who told us that, in the 21st century, venues would be filled with people prepared to pay to listen to rock 'n' roll performed by pensioners!

Watis

Isn't there a case being considered at the moment against a company who have released an entirely computer generated music film and sound track, featuring a younger, imaginary, approximate version of a now ancient band, with characters who almost but not quite look like said band, singing songs , including new releases- that are very reminiscent of said band's work.

The case hinges around the idea that the film somehow is passing itself off as the original band, even though neither the characters nor the voices nor the songs can be traced to the original. The worry is that it will cut out the whole structure of the music industry, since they used AI to create the song material. Just for irony the company responsible said they took inspiration from a film in which a promoter generated a female CGI who became very popular as a celebrity, who then fell in love with the image and personality generated and finally died of unrequited love, whereupon the computer committed suicide (with apologies to Shakespeare who sort of got there first).

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 21st, 2021, 9:58 pm

SimonS wrote:Isn't there a case being considered at the moment against a company who have released an entirely computer generated music film and sound track, featuring a younger, imaginary, approximate version of a now ancient band, with characters who almost but not quite look like said band, singing songs , including new releases- that are very reminiscent of said band's work.

The case hinges around the idea that the film somehow is passing itself off as the original band, even though neither the characters nor the voices nor the songs can be traced to the original. The worry is that it will cut out the whole structure of the music industry, since they used AI to create the song material. Just for irony the company responsible said they took inspiration from a film in which a promoter generated a female CGI who became very popular as a celebrity, who then fell in love with the image and personality generated and finally died of unrequited love, whereupon the computer committed suicide (with apologies to Shakespeare who sort of got there first).

Got some references, please? Both to the company/band referred to in the first paragraph and the film in the second. Both sound interesting .... ;)

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 21st, 2021, 11:50 pm

Laughton wrote:The underlying systems are getting better.

I'm not sure why 'officials' would stop the trade. It isn't illegal. I can see why they would pontificate about it in the press and announce some ridiculously ineffective scheme which will win them positive press coverage, but solve the problem? Surely you jest?

I'm also totally flummoxed as to why promoters would want to stop what I have no doubt is a very profitable distribution alley for a significant portion of their wares. It provides them with perfect cover, and doesn't result in them leaving an unbelievably high percentage of the value of their product on the table, whether it is realised by a tout or evaporates unrealised in to the ether as the tickets are sold below market value. It's not my business, but I'm guessing that isn't the sort of behaviour which leads to you becoming a multi billion dollar corporate entity with the scope and resources to act at the top of the game.

You said earlier that, "Promoters and venues are already trying to get rid of the touting business (promoters and artists' managers really do hate the fact that touts are making more money than they are)," but doing away with touting won't earn the promoters or the artist a single centime more, but will incur costs, and added friction for legitimate punters which is bound to lead to ill will, unfortunate outcomes and claims of the systemic exclusion of certain classes of fan. Beyond a little good publicity it's all kill no thrill.

I'm sure being able to claim that 'some' touted tickets were refused plays well with the fans, but what percentage of touted tickets do you think were actually turned away? As far as I can see there are two ways to go about it. You either tie the ticket to an individual, which is the method I have seen* in operation, or you attempt to identify individual tickets as they are touted. Both involve costs to the promoter, no extra income, and inconvenience legitimate punters.

How is it not better to realise the full value of the ticket whether out in the open, or as I have never ever seen anybody in the industry deny by diverting a significant portion of tickets in to the secondary market? Why make yourself poorer just to prevent somebody else making money, when the obvious alternative is to just take the money people are trying to throw at you already?

Come to that why continue to run on a first come first served basis. If you insist on selling non-transferable tickets at below market value, ballots are far harder to game, and you can give some reputable third party the booking fee to run it for you, leaving you with hands so clean you could eat out of them! It's a system used by organisations who are very concerned with the impression of propriety since the beginning of time, think Wimbledon, Last Night of the Proms, and now Liverpool Football Club. Of course this would make the entire sales procedure publicly auditable...

* Ironically given the number of concert, football, and theatre tickets I've had over the years which I could have sold for many multiples of what I paid for them this was to get in to a two thirds empty Serie A game, but their motivation I do buy. A big sign out front saying no knives or firearms, ticket checked against passport twice and a frisk make sense when you are trying to make people feel safe and push match attendance up. It's spending money to make money, not spending money to prevent anybody else making money.

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » September 22nd, 2021, 9:33 am

No not a fan of those, silly stuff. Totally agree about Yes. Though even those are almost tolerable compared to Jethro tull and the Who's quadrophenia.

Now Led Zeppelin never made anything less than a classic genius album. Early Stones eg let it bleed, were worthwhile before they became a load of rubbish.

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » September 22nd, 2021, 9:40 am

I went to a brilliant coffee morning concert put on for friends of our town band. Live music. Variety. Free of charge, coffee and a cake thrown in. Bucket collection at the end.

Gaggsy
Lemon Slice

Postby Gaggsy » September 22nd, 2021, 10:43 am

monabri wrote:I see Genesis are on tour! I thought I might see if I could get tickets but I was astounded by the rip off costs. The cheapest ticket ( at Birmingham) would be £84. If you wanted to be in the middle and near the front , £258 per ticket.

A long time ago (1980?), my mates and I queued overnight for tickets for a Genesis tour ( venue Leeds) thinking that it would be difficult to get said tickets. In the morning when the box office opened there were about a dozen fans in total. We bought our tickets and drove home to Manchester. I think we paid a fiver. None of those rip off booking agents then!

https://www.viagogo.co.uk/Concert-Ticke ... n=g&ps_d=t

Alternatively, if you like Genesis from the late 70s era - go and see Steve Hackett reliving the 'Seconds Out' tour. 4th row from the front in the middle of the stalls at the Palladium tonight for under £60 each.
https://www.hackettsongs.com/tour.html

Gostevie
2 Lemon pips

Postby Gostevie » September 22nd, 2021, 11:37 am

SimonS wrote:
Watis wrote:
And, looking back, who, among us gig-goers in the 1970s, would have believed anyone who told us that, in the 21st century, venues would be filled with people prepared to pay to listen to rock 'n' roll performed by pensioners!

Watis

Isn't there a case being considered at the moment against a company who have released an entirely computer generated music film and sound track, featuring a younger, imaginary, approximate version of a now ancient band, with characters who almost but not quite look like said band, singing songs , including new releases- that are very reminiscent of said band's work.

Abba?

FanciThat

Postby FanciThat » September 22nd, 2021, 5:34 pm

Alternatively, if you like Genesis from the late 70s era - go and see Steve Hackett reliving the 'Seconds Out' tour. 4th row from the front in the middle of the stalls at the Palladium tonight for under £60 each.
https://www.hackettsongs.com/tour.html

Went to see Steve Hackett last Weds in Birmingham at the Symphony Hall, £42 great seats and a fantastic gig, he's the best Genesis tribute band out there :D

One of the guys I went with is also going to see Genesis tonight, but after seeing Phil Collins on the BBC 2 weeks ago, he's wondering whether it will be worth it at £80!

Cheers, FT

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”