Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

My kind of girl

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
simsqu
Lemon Slice

My kind of girl

Postby simsqu » September 27th, 2021, 1:36 pm

We went to The Elderflower in Lymington last week and had the 7 course tasting menu. Great food, service, atmosphere - very enjoyable evening. The wife of the chef-patron, a Madame du Bourg served us the wine and we had a quick chat: she came across as a bit of a force of nature, but very pleasant.

When I got home, I looked up the restaurant on Tripadvisor and of course went straight to the one-star reviews (as you do). There were 11 moaning BnC-types (no offence BnC, but you know what I mean) and Man Alive, did she lay into them. Absolutely fantastic. I laughed so much I don't think they'll ever dry

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... ml#REVIEWS

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Re: My kind of girl

Postby brightncheerful » September 27th, 2021, 2:14 pm

As a rule when considering a visit i always read the 1 and 2 star rating on TripAdvisor as one gets the truth, particularly if the reviewer is American since American tourist/visitors attitudes towards sub-standard and sloppy service, etc is far less tolerant than us Brits.

---

A while back I sold numerous items (books mostly, on Amazon and 'earned' 100% 5 star ratings from almost every buyer except one who awarded 4 stars.

I gave the 4 are person exactly the same high standard of care etc as the others yet for reason known only to that person seemingly wasn't good enough. I concluded that having had glowing on-line comments from everyone else, this 4 star person took it upon him/her-self to pull me down a peg, for the sake of it. If this person (whose name i have) ever wants to buy from me again then i should have great pleasure in refusing to accept their offer to buy.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 27th, 2021, 2:18 pm

The Madame sounds a bit like Basil Fawlty. Who would dare to complain?

Dod

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » September 27th, 2021, 2:39 pm

brightncheerful wrote:As a rule when considering a visit i always read the 1 and 2 star rating on TripAdvisor as one gets the truth, particularly if the reviewer is American since American tourist/visitors attitudes towards sub-standard and sloppy service, etc is far less tolerant than us Brits.

---

A while back I sold numerous items (books mostly, on Amazon and 'earned' 100% 5 star ratings from almost every buyer except one who awarded 4 stars.

I gave the 4 are person exactly the same high standard of care etc as the others yet for reason known only to that person seemingly wasn't good enough. I concluded that having had glowing on-line comments from everyone else, this 4 star person took it upon him/her-self to pull me down a peg, for the sake of it. If this person (whose name i have) ever wants to buy from me again then i should have great pleasure in refusing to accept their offer to buy.

Actually, I have to disagree with you. From the times of school and uni, top marks are reserved for those efforts that go beyond what is expected. I tend to treat with a bit of scepticism, 5/5/ and 1/5, 2/5. Not always. If a person gives a detailed description of their purchase and awards 5/5, then I'm likely to accept it. I actually trust the 4/5 awards far more. Most of the very low marks are pretty obviously people who have a gripe about Amazon, Ebay etc. Sometimes it's a mistake. But I think it's human nature to question the 5/5.

As a rule, I write good reviews but rarely give more than 4/5. That is 80%, which is bloody good! 8-)

Steve

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 27th, 2021, 3:41 pm

stevensfo wrote:Actually, I have to disagree with you. From the times of school and uni, top marks are reserved for those efforts that go beyond what is expected. I tend to treat with a bit of scepticism, 5/5/ and 1/5, 2/5. Not always. If a person gives a detailed description of their purchase and awards 5/5, then I'm likely to accept it. I actually trust the 4/5 awards far more. Most of the very low marks are pretty obviously people who have a gripe about Amazon, Ebay etc. Sometimes it's a mistake. But I think it's human nature to question the 5/5.

As a rule, I write good reviews but rarely give more than 4/5. That is 80%, which is bloody good! 8-)

What Steve said. What's the point of a one to five star rating system if people are going to get all offended by a rating of less than 100%? Would we refuse to watch a film that didn't get the full five-star accolade from the reviewers and the Rotten Tomatoes people? Would we turn down a restaurant because it only had one Michelin star?

Somehow we seem to have got ourselves into a situation where some people are expecting automatically superlative ratings because they've put care, professionalism and effort into something. (I gather that Uber drivers are like that, although I've never had the pleasure so can't speak from experience.) And that's just silly. Isn't it? What are the other gradations for, if not to give graduated levels of praise?

If you ask me, what the system really needs is a few minus-number ratings for liars, scammers and thieves. . I never hope to have to give one, but it would be nice to have the option. :twisted:

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 27th, 2021, 3:53 pm

stevensfo wrote:Actually, I have to disagree with you. From the times of school and uni, top marks are reserved for those efforts that go beyond what is expected. I tend to treat with a bit of scepticism, 5/5/ and 1/5, 2/5. Not always. If a person gives a detailed description of their purchase and awards 5/5, then I'm likely to accept it. I actually trust the 4/5 awards far more. Most of the very low marks are pretty obviously people who have a gripe about Amazon, Ebay etc. Sometimes it's a mistake. But I think it's human nature to question the 5/5.

Steve

I agree with that. 4-star is good. 5-star is exceptional.

For a tradesman I gave 5 stars to the locksmith who, when fitting a new lock after I'd moved in here, also took the trouble to make a slight realignment to the door so it closed more smoothly. That is, in addition to turning up on time, offering advice where I sought it, and doing a generally good job - which would have earned an easy four stars and positive words.

Bad reviews are the ones most worth reading, but carefully, and sometimes with a pinch of salt. If the complaint makes sense and is something that would bother me, that's tending to a red flag.

As for an amazon or ebay vendor, WTF is there to review? "Product arrived and is as described" is just a tick: it can't merit five stars (unless perhaps the product is handmade/artistic), but neither does it merit having stars deducted. Stars are simply not approriate!

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » September 28th, 2021, 10:36 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:As for an amazon or ebay vendor, WTF is there to review?

As an occasional eBay vendor who take a deal of trouble with pics and description and packaging, I do like to have that reflected in feedback.
Given that eBay is powered by feedback, it irks me that many buyers can't be bothered.

And one only has to buy on eBay as I regularly do - never use Amazon - to realise that some private sellers are extremely thick and lazy when it comes to the packaging.

V8

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » September 28th, 2021, 10:46 am

88V8 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:As for an amazon or ebay vendor, WTF is there to review?

As an occasional eBay vendor who take a deal of trouble with pics and description and packaging, I do like to have that reflected in feedback.
Given that eBay is powered by feedback, it irks me that many buyers can't be bothered.

And one only has to buy on eBay as I regularly do - never use Amazon - to realise that some private sellers are extremely thick and lazy when it comes to the packaging.

V8

I'm one of those people nowadays.

I make three or four ebay purchases a week and always used to leave feedback because it was quick and easy with autofill to just go click, click click, "Item arrived promptly and just as described", job done in a couple of seconds, I'd do a large batch of them every two or three weeks.

Now however, leaving feedback is a PITA. There are too many aspects to score and auto fill seems to have stopped working. Granted it is easy enough for a single feedback but try doing a batch of 25, your mouse finger gets RSI. And don't get me started on the ebay sellers who PM after I leave a poor but accurate review trying to get me to change it!

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 28th, 2021, 11:06 am

Mike4 wrote:And don't get me started on the ebay sellers who PM after I leave a poor but accurate review trying to get me to change it!

It's the automatic chase ups that get my goat these days

"How did you enjoy your delivery of the 2021 Grade 3 guitar book?"
- "well I returned it because it was damaged on receipt and have been refunded a week ago, got a replacement from a local shop for less who hand delivered it to my door.. otherwise fine"

Or the guys that sent two of the wrong Xbox controllers, offered various levels of refund, until they said "keep it here's the money back".... then asked for a review.

I'll give feedback now if it's a guy who's spoken to me as a person

-sd

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » September 28th, 2021, 11:17 am

brightncheerful wrote:As a rule when considering a visit i always read the 1 and 2 star rating on TripAdvisor as one gets the truth, particularly if the reviewer is American since American tourist/visitors attitudes towards sub-standard and sloppy service, etc is far less tolerant than us Brits.

---

I'm not convinced by that. I often feel the low star ratings are either people with and agenda, professional moaners or complete idiots. I am not sure they are any nearer the truth - probably best to take an overall impression away from all the various reviews, if there aren't too many to read!

Arb.

onthemove
Lemon Slice

Postby onthemove » September 28th, 2021, 11:24 am

brightncheerful wrote:A while back I sold numerous items (books mostly, on Amazon and 'earned' 100% 5 star ratings from almost every buyer except one who awarded 4 stars.

4 Stars is still a good, positive rating according to the Amazon rating system, so I think you're being a bit harsh on the buyer.

Moreover, if you do refuse to sell to anyone who doesn't give you the full 5 stars, that could be considered 'rating manipulation' territory, and then that's not a seller who I'd want to buy from.

And, btw, surely you'd only be able to refuse after they've placed the order. From what I've seen of seller review comments, a seller cancelling an order is usually a sure fire way of the seller getting themselves a 1 star rating from the buyer!

BTW, I've given sellers 4 stars in the past when I've bought second hand books through Amazon - more often than not, it's been when I felt the book wasn't in the condition as advertised. The book may still be perfectly acceptable and I'm still happy to keep it, but it just didn't match what I was led to believe the condition would be, and for me when buying 'blind' online, trust in the seller's description is critical because that's all you've got to go off - I'll knock a star (or stars) off their rating if the book's condition isn't exactly as advertised (even if the condition is still perfectly acceptable). Though I usually leave a comment explaining my rating.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » October 7th, 2021, 8:33 pm

Tripadvisor, a historically good rating for the place except from one person on their first review by someone with a bug up their ArZ.

Tripadvisor can be really helpful, but you as a potential diner also have to be able to spot the glaringly obvious occasional mal-reviews/professional haters/compo seekers; and it's not difficult!

It's at all not difficult to spot them. For example click their profile and surprise you might find all of their few reviews describe utter alleged disasters. I suspect we've all in our lifetimes crossed paths with such people; but thankkfully few of us have to cater to them and suffer their public reviews.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 7th, 2021, 9:22 pm

Arborbridge wrote:

---

... I often feel the low star ratings are either people with an agenda, professional moaners or complete idiots. ....
Arb.

Yessssss.... reminds me of someone not a million miles away ;)

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”