Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Cars - a genuine appeal

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Re: Cars - a genuine appeal

Postby brightncheerful » October 11th, 2021, 3:27 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:I don't own a car.
Never have, and I don't even have a driving license. Had some lessons when I lived in west London, but didn't like it at all.
I've lived in the South East for 28 years (London then Berkshire) and I find the public transport more than adequate, and I'm happy to walk several miles if required. It's not 100% a 'green' thing, it's more I really don't feel at ease in a car.
I'm probably going to retire back to Shropshire in the next few years where public transport is ...not good.
Small market town with local buses and all the shops and pubs are a reasonable walking distance, but the nearest mainline station is > 15 miles away and buses don't run on Sundays, and finish at 6pm other days. Luckily taxis/minicabs are reasonably priced compared with the south

I realise I'm in a tiny minority of non-driving, non-TV owning weirdos!

I managed perfectly well without a TV for some 8 years. I enjoy watching TV but don't have to and wouldn't miss not having TV. Were it not for Mrs Bnc i wouldn't have one now. As a gesture of goodwill, she pays the TV licence fee.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 11th, 2021, 4:12 pm

28 years for me.
When I go back home now, I rarely watch the TV.
I do spend too many hours in front of my laptop though. Not just work - also YouTube, which has replaced TV I guess...
(Mainly music stuff- and outdoor/bushcraft channels, ironically for a desk bound techie like me)

NotSure
Lemon Slice

Postby NotSure » October 15th, 2021, 12:51 pm

richlist wrote:Like a large section of society i really couldn't care less about pollution. I will continue to buy, run, do, take part in all the things I currently enjoy until such time that legislation or financial constraints compels me to do otherwise.......

Each to their own, but that would help explain why we have so many laws and taxes...... :idea:

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”