Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Cars - a genuine appeal

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
simsqu
Lemon Slice

Cars - a genuine appeal

Postby simsqu » September 28th, 2021, 12:03 pm

We live in London. All this malarky with queues for petrol has made me very glad I don’t own a car. A few years ago our car was on its last legs and we needed to get a new one. We thought long and hard and decided, mainly on environmental grounds, to go without a car for a bit and see if we could manage.

Seven years later we are still without a car. On the downside, we have to plan journeys around London a little, certainly the freedom to jump in the car and go anywhere you want is not present, going to the dump is tricky: we have to ask my sister for a lift occasionally. You don’t have the privacy of a space to yourself.

However, on the upside, no traffic jams: tubes, buses, trains, pedestrians have absolute priority over cars in London. No parking problems, no parking fines. No insurance, servicing, fuel costs, or indeed any costs of any sort. We are old, so all London Transport is free for us: not possible for a lot of people of course, but you can't really use a car to commute in London anyway. Most London journeys by public transport are quicker than a car. We walk a lot more than when we had a car. We shop locally: local shops in London are FANTASTIC – they’ve got everything you need, and for whatever reason, never seem to suffer any shortages that supermarkets occasionally experience. If we need a lot of stuff? Online Morrisons delivery. Need to go out of London? Train, then taxi.

We just had a week on the south coast. Got there by train quicker than by car. Lots of lovely walks, visits, restaurants etc. There were three occasions when we needed a car, so we just booked a taxi.

Now, I fully appreciate that many people need a car. We can only manage because we live in a large metropolis with excellent public transport.
Is not having a car inconvenient? Some of the time, sure. But with a little planning, and a few lifestyle changes, it is perfectly possible to manage, and manage well. So can I suggest, with all sincerity, particularly now, when perhaps some people are cursing their perceived reliance on their car, that they seriously consider if their way of life might be possible, without too much inconvenience, to manage without.

I’m sure there must be some of you out there, if you really think about it, who could do it

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Cars - a genuine appeal

Postby pje16 » September 28th, 2021, 12:33 pm

Like you I get free travel and live/work in London
BUT
I love my BMW and the thought of hauling the weekly shop home on public transport, or not being able to nip down the road too see my Dad or local mates
I go and see my brother and his family 260 way miles once or twice a year and love the long drive up North
I have also been able to help with foodbanks and delivering nurses scrubs during lockdown

Financially I would lose the arguement, but I love driving

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » September 28th, 2021, 1:00 pm

If you don't want a car, good for you. But I don't want your preferences imposed on me. I like cars, cars are my hobby, I have a few of them. How would people feel if someone imposed a ban on golf or football or any other pastime or hobby that people enjoy.

Haven't had a car for 7 years.....that's great for you......but it isn't what I want.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 28th, 2021, 1:02 pm

I don't think the OP is trying to impose
at least I didn't take it that way
each to their own is often the best way :)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 28th, 2021, 1:12 pm

For what it's worth, when I lived in London I found cycling the quickest way to get about. Obviously much quicker than driving, or public transport, but also (rather to my surprise) quicker than motorcycling.

Out here in rural Devon a car would have more use, but would still be a liability in terms of having to spend half my drive time finding parking spaces, and now queueing for petrol. I don't cycle as far or as fast as I used to, and the bus is certainly slower than driving. But the bus gives me time to read, and walking across the moors is such a pleasure I find myself choosing to walk for many things I might once have done by bike or car: for example a good backpack carries a lot of supermarket shopping.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 28th, 2021, 1:14 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:For what it's worth, when I lived in London I found cycling the quickest way to get about.

I live at the top of a very steep hill, very few cyclists get up that :lol:

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 28th, 2021, 1:17 pm

pje16 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:For what it's worth, when I lived in London I found cycling the quickest way to get about.

You said up-thread you live in London. Your hill is not something we in more hilly areas would recognise.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » September 28th, 2021, 1:18 pm

95% of the country's senior residents can only dream of free* unlimited 24 hour travel. Should that ever come to pass, I too would be happy to consider going carless.

Two buses a day, not going where many need to go is the reality for us, and probably it's even worse for many.

*Yes, I know it's "only" within London

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » September 28th, 2021, 1:21 pm

staffordian wrote:95% of the country's senior residents can only dream of free* unlimited 24 hour travel. Should that ever come to pass, I too would be happy to consider going carless.

Two buses a day, not going where many need to go is the reality for us, and probably it's even worse for many.

Why does it have to be free to consider giving it up? Running a car isn't free, so surely its the relative saving versus the loss of flexibility etc. that is the measure, not the absolutes of being free and unlimited?

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » September 28th, 2021, 1:32 pm

Like Staffordian we couldn't live without a car. Our bus service ended about 15 years ago and before that Dr. Beeching put the kybosh on our rail service. We live in part of the Clwydian range so when we leave the house we can choose to go up or down but at some point in the procedure we have to go up again and as I watch peletons of fit young cyclists struggle to go up hill I thank the Lord for Aggie my ancient landrover. I suppose I could resort to horse and trap but no doubt someone somewhere would tell me that I'm polluting the land with horse manure - though no doubt the roses would benefit. I think if we're totally honest most of us love our cars too much to give them up easily.

R6

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » September 28th, 2021, 1:55 pm

dealtn wrote:
staffordian wrote:95% of the country's senior residents can only dream of free* unlimited 24 hour travel. Should that ever come to pass, I too would be happy to consider going carless.

Why does it have to be free to consider giving it up? Running a car isn't free, so surely its the relative saving versus the loss of flexibility etc. that is the measure, not the absolutes of being free and unlimited?

The "free" bit is the icing on the cake, especially the free trains. I qualify for free bus travel but the real issue is their availablity, or to be more precise, the lack of it...

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 28th, 2021, 2:01 pm

dealtn wrote:

And I do not read the OP as advocating doing without a car because public transport is free. Free to him I thought was free of the hassle of owning a car, free of trying to find a parking space, free of the cost of running a car and so on. I do not love my car and simply see it as a means of getting around. It is an expensive way of doing so but it works. I have often though how I would manage if I lost my driving licence. A number of my friends have through loss of sight and they manage and I am sure so could I. I have a mainline railway station just over a mile away and buses from time to time well within that distance. Also we have local taxi services. What I would find difficult would be driving to N Ireland to see my son and family and of course holidays driving up the west coast of Scotland. I think if I lived in a city I too would go carless whether other forms of transport were free or not.

Dod

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » September 28th, 2021, 2:01 pm

I can live without a car BUT.....
I don't cycle .....I hate it.
I don't use public transport.....people don't wear masks.
I don't enjoy walking to bus stops or train stations, I have better things to do with my time.
I can afford a driver &/ or taxis......but I want to drive myself.

Interesting that the Tory John Whittingdale MP OBE......doesn't think there is a fuel crisis. He needs to visit my part of Essex and show me a fuel station that is actually open cos I can't find one.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 28th, 2021, 2:07 pm

richlist wrote:I can live without a car BUT.....
I don't enjoy walking to bus stops or train stations, I have better things to do with my time.

Interesting that the Tory John Whittingdale MP OBE......doesn't think there is a fuel crisis. He needs to visit my part of Essex and show me a fuel station that is actually open cos I can't find one.

Yes, this past weekend I drove in three different counties, moved a piece of furniture for one of my children, did a huge grocery shop out of town, did a run to the local tip to get rid of crap, and ferried my mother-in-law about because she cannot get about herself.

Could anyone explain to me how I could have done that on a bike or a train? It seems to me that the no-car lifestyle is really only suitable for people who are willing to cut down on what they do and where they go. It is a form of minimalism that might suit some but is not feasible for most.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 28th, 2021, 2:20 pm

Lootman wrote:
richlist wrote:I can live without a car BUT.....

Yes, this past weekend I drove in three different counties, moved a piece of furniture for one of my children, did a huge grocery shop out of town, did a run to the local tip to get rid of crap, and ferried my mother-in-law about because she cannot get about herself.

Could anyone explain to me how I could have done that on a bike or a train? It seems to me that the no-car lifestyle is really only suitable for people who are willing to cut down on what they do and where they go. It is a form of minimalism that might suit some but is not feasible for most.

You can get people to do all of that for you. All you need is a little money.

Dod

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 28th, 2021, 2:27 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
pje16 wrote:

You said up-thread you live in London. Your hill is not something we in more hilly areas would recognise.

You can only have one rec.
And that's for putting it more politely than I could ;)
-sd

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 28th, 2021, 2:41 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
pje16 wrote:

Come round and see if you can run up it - smarty
I do love those who offer opinions without knowing the facts

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » September 28th, 2021, 3:39 pm

Lootman wrote:Yes, this past weekend I drove in three different counties, moved a piece of furniture for one of my children, did a huge grocery shop out of town, did a run to the local tip to get rid of crap, and ferried my mother-in-law about because she cannot get about herself.

The other side of the coin is that the cash saved by not running a car goes an awfully long way towards taxis, and the odd hire van or car.

Whilst in the current circumstances I certainly would not consider giving up mine until I have to, there are alternatives, albeit not always as instant or convenient.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 28th, 2021, 3:46 pm

staffordian wrote:
Lootman wrote:Yes, this past weekend I drove in three different counties, moved a piece of furniture for one of my children, did a huge grocery shop out of town, did a run to the local tip to get rid of crap, and ferried my mother-in-law about because she cannot get about herself.

The other side of the coin is that the cash saved by not running a car goes an awfully long way towards taxis, and the odd hire van or car.

Whilst in the current circumstances I certainly would not consider giving up mine until I have to, there are alternatives, albeit not always as instant or convenient.

That is what I have concluded, especially if you count the depreciation involved with owning a car and the cost of a car must be more easily appreciated if you take one of the many finance deal at a cost per month. My fairly expensive car spends an awful lot of its time sitting on my driveway.

Dod

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » September 28th, 2021, 4:01 pm

staffordian wrote:The other side of the coin is that the cash saved by not running a car goes an awfully long way towards taxis, and the odd hire van or car.

Our current small car is just entering its 13th year and has cost £65 per week over that time. On the other hand our bigger car is now in its fifth year (second with us) and has cost £20 per week. You won't get many taxi rides out of that, and the distances are bigger in the country.

TJH

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”