Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Packaging: here I go again

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Packaging: here I go again

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 1st, 2021, 1:01 pm

We alternate recycling and rubbish, and I usually only have one small bag of rubbish per fortnight - so the black wheelie bin is 20% full approx.
A big hassle for me is the kerbside plastics collection is only for 'bottle shaped' items, so trays etc have to lugged up to my nearest Sainsbury's
Bonkers! Any sort of plastic bottle is OK, but a PET tray is not allowed

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » October 1st, 2021, 1:03 pm

Leothebear wrote:I think the big supermarkets are missing a trick here. The first to make a significant effort to reduce plastic packaging will be rewarded with better sales and a boosted profile.

And possibly lower profits.

Leothebear wrote:As it is I'm sick of filling my recycling bin every time I want a fruit salad.

So make your own, or is the convenience of that packaged product actually worth something to you?

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » October 1st, 2021, 1:33 pm

simsqu wrote:but basically, I did a pretty good 2-3 day shop with ZERO packaging, other than a few paper bags.

Great.

Could you now tell us how much food is wasted as unsaleable at the packaging free shops where customers get to put their sticky fingers in it before choosing not to buy, compared to the packaged food at the supermarket.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » October 1st, 2021, 1:44 pm

dealtn wrote:
Leothebear wrote:I think the big supermarkets are missing a trick here. The first to make a significant effort to reduce plastic packaging will be rewarded with better sales and a boosted profile.

Leothebear wrote:As it is I'm sick of filling my recycling bin every time I want a fruit salad.

So make your own, or is the convenience of that packaged product actually worth something to you?

I do make my own but the ingredients all come in clear plastic punnets.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » October 1st, 2021, 1:47 pm

Leothebear wrote:
dealtn wrote:

I do make my own but the ingredients all come in clear plastic punnets.

Shows how annoyingly convenient that packaging is.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » October 1st, 2021, 1:52 pm

What exactly is your point? Or are you simply a full time irritant?

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » October 1st, 2021, 2:05 pm

Dod101 wrote:
richlist wrote:My housekeeper buys items like washing up liquid in bulk (5 ltr) containers. The same goes for many other cleaning materials, toilet rolls etc and anything normally supplied to the catering trade is sourced in quantity. Ok you need somewhere to be able to store such items but it makes perfect sense to us.

Since I would not want to have a 5 litre container of washing up liquid on my worktop and it would not fit under the sink that means I assume decanting the liquid into fairly standard containers. There is bound to be some faff with that plus almost inevitable spillage or at least loss of some of the liquid surely?

Dod

The point I'm trying to make is buying in bulk usually means lower cost, less packaging (plastic), promotes the re-use of existing containers etc.

My comment about needing somewhere to store the bulk purchase recognises you wouldn't want to keep them in your kitchen.

Fortunately we have a store room where supplies are kept but most people should be able to find a corner somewhere.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » October 1st, 2021, 2:05 pm

Leothebear wrote:What exactly is your point? Or are you simply a full time irritant?

That there are many ways to buy "stuff". The fact that many choose to buy with packaging reflects the usefulness and cheapness of doing so. The fact that companies choose to do so reflects its usefullness and efficiency too.

People choosing to make points about how "wrong" it is should remember how the solution to delivering mass supply to mass demand results. If packaging, and the "sickness" it gives you, and others, is so important to you there are alternatives.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 1st, 2021, 2:35 pm

richlist wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
richlist wrote:My housekeeper buys items like washing up liquid in bulk (5 ltr) containers. The same goes for many other cleaning materials, toilet rolls etc and anything normally supplied to the catering trade is sourced in quantity. Ok you need somewhere to be able to store such items but it makes perfect sense to us.

Since I would not want to have a 5 litre container of washing up liquid on my worktop and it would not fit under the sink that means I assume decanting the liquid into fairly standard containers. There is bound to be some faff with that plus almost inevitable spillage or at least loss of some of the liquid surely?

Dod

The point I'm trying to make is buying in bulk usually means lower cost, less packaging (plastic), promotes the re-use of existing containers etc.

My comment about needing somewhere to store the bulk purchase recognises you wouldn't want to keep them in your kitchen.

Fortunately we have a store room where supplies are kept but most people should be able to find a corner somewhere.

My late wife used to buy as if she were catering for an army. In fact I am still using tissues, envelopes and the like which she bought probably 7 or 8 years ago. But the point I was making about washing up liquid you have left unanswered. I understand of course what you are saying but it does not suit everyone or probably very many to be buying it (for instance) in a 5 litre container. Not only is there the bulk but also the weight and as I said the faff and almost inevitable loss in decanting it into more manageable containers.

Dod

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » October 1st, 2021, 2:41 pm

richlist wrote:Fortunately we have a store room where supplies are kept but most people should be able to find a corner somewhere.

You honestly think that the vast majority of people who don’t have a store room want to have a 5 litre container of washing up liquid in the corner of the living room or bedroom? As well as the 5 litre containers of bleach, washing machine detergent, fabric conditioner, pile of toilet rolls, etc.

And that is before you get to people who are living from pay packet to pay packet being able to afford to buy in bulk, and the wastage if anything is used before it goes off.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » October 1st, 2021, 3:25 pm

Dod101 wrote:
richlist wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

My late wife used to buy as if she were catering for an army. In fact I am still using tissues, envelopes and the like which she bought probably 7 or 8 years ago. But the point I was making about washing up liquid you have left unanswered. I understand of course what you are saying but it does not suit everyone or probably very many to be buying it (for instance) in a 5 litre container. Not only is there the bulk but also the weight and as I said the faff and almost inevitable loss in decanting it into more manageable containers.

Dod

I did type a reply that included that topic but for some reason it got lost.

I'd say that buying in bulk normally provides a sizeable discount compared to buying smaller quantities. When you refill smaller bottles using a funnel there is a very minimal loss but that is more than compensated for with the bulk discount price. We often bulk buy items and split the quanity/cost between other families. It's not compulsory......it's just an idea that can sometimes reduce packaging waste.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » October 1st, 2021, 3:34 pm

AF62 wrote:
richlist wrote:Fortunately we have a store room where supplies are kept but most people should be able to find a corner somewhere.

You honestly think that the vast majority of people who don’t have a store room want to have a 5 litre container of washing up liquid in the corner of the living room or bedroom? As well as the 5 litre containers of bleach, washing machine detergent, fabric conditioner, pile of toilet rolls, etc.

And that is before you get to people who are living from pay packet to pay packet being able to afford to buy in bulk, and the wastage if anything is used before it goes off.

This thread is about excess packaging, I'm merely suggesting that one way to reduce packaging is to buy in bulk. It's not compulsory, so if you don't want to or don't have the space for storage it's your choice.

What I won't do is hold back from making legitimate suggestions that might help some at the risk of offending others who don't have the space, cant or don't want to buy in bulk.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » October 1st, 2021, 3:49 pm

richlist wrote:This thread is about excess packaging, I'm merely suggesting that one way to reduce packaging is to buy in bulk. It's not compulsory, so if you don't want to or don't have the space for storage it's your choice.

What I won't do is hold back from making legitimate suggestions that might help some at the risk of offending others who don't have the space, cant or don't want to buy in bulk.

Your “most people should be able to find a corner” didn’t suggest that.

Anyway as long as you accept that for the vast majority of people who cannot bulk buy then the packaging on their normal sized products is not “excess”, then all is good.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » October 1st, 2021, 4:07 pm

There seems to be a lot of people who live in property that is perhaps to small for them. I can see that not having any spare corner to store a few boxes or items is likely to be a problem. I'm also guessing that living in a high rise means it's not going to be fun carrying 5 litres or large quantities of anything up to your front door.

But there are many items that I don't buy in bulk that seem to have excessive & therefore unnecessary packaging.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » October 1st, 2021, 4:14 pm

richlist wrote:But there are many items that I don't buy in bulk that seem to have excessive & therefore unnecessary packaging.

Such as?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 1st, 2021, 4:24 pm

AF62 wrote:
richlist wrote:But there are many items that I don't buy in bulk that seem to have excessive & therefore unnecessary packaging.

Such as?

At the very minimum there are cucumbers which not only have a loose out plastic covering but also one which goes tightly round the item (fruit vegetable? I do not know) but it does not need two layers.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » October 1st, 2021, 4:27 pm

richlist wrote:There seems to be a lot of people who live in property that is perhaps to small for them. I can see that not having any spare corner to store a few boxes or items is likely to be a problem. I'm also guessing that living in a high rise means it's not going to be fun carrying 5 litres or large quantities of anything up to your front door.

But there are many items that I don't buy in bulk that seem to have excessive & therefore unnecessary packaging.

There are more commonly, especially on these Boards probably many people who live in a property that is too big for them. Frankly not having a store room for bulk purchases is hardly a sign of a property being too small for the occupier. I have a double garage which remains empty because the entrance doors are too narrow for my car and therefore have plenty of space for bulk purchases but certainly for me it is just not worth the effort.

Dod

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » October 1st, 2021, 4:34 pm

Dod101 wrote:
AF62 wrote:

Such as?

At the very minimum there are cucumbers which not only have a loose out plastic covering but also one which goes tightly round the item (fruit vegetable? I do not know) but it does not need two layers.

Dod

I agree....the whole issue of double packaging is exactly what I find excessive.

* This week my other half has bought some hot chocolate. They are individual, sealed sachets and they are then put in a box.
* The same with some coffee, individual sachets then put in a box.
* The same with some Alpen cereal bars. Sealed wrapper and then boxed.
* Virtually all multipack chocolate bars. Sealed wrapper and then sealed again.......et c etc.

I guess buying individual items in the quantity that suits you would make the check out take longer and you perhaps need to be a little more carefully with bagging up and transport but hey ho.......don't you want to save the planet ?
Last edited by richlist on October 1st, 2021, 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » October 1st, 2021, 4:40 pm

richlist wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
AF62 wrote:
Such as?

Dod

I agree....the whole issue of double packaging is exactly what I find excessive.

* This week my other half has bought some hot chocolate. They are individual, sealed sachets and they are then put in a box.
* Virtually all multipack chocolate bars. Sealed wrapper and then sealed again.......et c etc.

Cucumbers - never known them to come with a loose outer covering only the shrink wrap which minimises waste.

As for multi-pack - well the clue is in the name. Do you expect them to sell individual sachets of hot chocolate? And for the biscuits if they were not wrapped individually then they would go start to go stale as soon as the outer package was opened, so increasing food waste.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » October 1st, 2021, 4:51 pm

AF62 wrote:
richlist wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

Cucumbers - never known them to come with a loose outer covering only the shrink wrap which minimises waste.

As for multi-pack - well the clue is in the name. Do you expect them to sell individual sachets of hot chocolate? And for the biscuits if they were not wrapped individually then they would go start to go stale as soon as the outer package was opened, so increasing food waste.

No. Chocolate multipack biscuits are in individual sealed wrappers......thats what keeps them fresh. They are then wrapped again in another wrapper in quantities of 4 or 6 or more. If you want to reduce packaging, sell them separately.

We are where we are because of convenience for the manufactuer, the retailer, the warehouse and the consumer. If you want to save the planet attitudes have to change.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”