Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Resigning matters?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Resigning matters?

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 12th, 2021, 4:30 pm

When in a hole, dig ever harder!

If a person in charge of an entity enters into a contract that affects the lives of many, and that contract proves - as widely predicted - unfit for purpose, do you:

(a) accept the consequences of your actions?
(b) just renege on the contract?
(c) seek to renegotiate?
(d) demand your own terms that were extensively discussed in the contract negotiations and would work for neither side?

If you're the other party to that contract and made considerable compromises in reaching it, do you then just accept demands (d) knowing the goalposts will move again? Might you not instead be more inclined to expect those who dug the hole to resign and make way for fresh negotiators - perhaps including some of the many voices who described the problems clearly five years ago?

I've quit jobs in my time to escape Bad Things, though of course that's not in the same league as many. I've also known a Jewish man who escaped Germany as a child in the 1930s, and a Vietmanese man who had escaped on a small boat, both before settling in Blighty. Where are Fools on that scale?

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: Resigning matters?

Postby 88V8 » October 12th, 2021, 5:43 pm

Resigning is unfashionable.
A mini skirt.

As to your options, it would depend on the extent of one's self-belief, and the thickness of one's Teflon coating.

He hopes for another term.
In an age of political pygmies, he might even get it.

V8

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » October 12th, 2021, 5:46 pm

He should be locked in the tower for the rest of his natural

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » October 12th, 2021, 6:53 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:When in a hole, dig ever harder!

If a person in charge of an entity enters into a contract that affects the lives of many, and that contract proves - as widely predicted - unfit for purpose, do you:

(a) accept the consequences of your actions?
(b) just renege on the contract?
(c) seek to renegotiate?
(d) demand your own terms that were extensively discussed in the contract negotiations and would work for neither side?

If you're the other party to that contract and made considerable compromises in reaching it, do you then just accept demands (d) knowing the goalposts will move again? Might you not instead be more inclined to expect those who dug the hole to resign and make way for fresh negotiators - perhaps including some of the many voices who described the problems clearly five years ago?

I've quit jobs in my time to escape Bad Things, though of course that's not in the same league as many. I've also known a Jewish man who escaped Germany as a child in the 1930s, and a Vietmanese man who had escaped on a small boat, both before settling in Blighty. Where are Fools on that scale?

e) Blame somebody else, adding the above to flavour the cocktail to suit the current popular fashions.

If you are the other party walk away, and wait until the current bunch of teenage tantrumistas are replaced by adults. It's not fair! They made me do it!

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » October 12th, 2021, 7:53 pm

F) go on holiday, there will be a new catastrophe in 2 weeks time and everyone will forget about this one.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » October 13th, 2021, 11:38 am

Option c

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » October 13th, 2021, 1:13 pm

e), then f), and then g) claim it is all part of a master plan to improve productivity

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » October 13th, 2021, 6:06 pm

Blame your inferiors for failing to tackle the project with sufficient vigour and skill. Another good one is to blame the techies for being cynical about the project from the off.

A better plan is to leave for a better post before the project fails. When it is seen to fail, you can then claim the failure was due to them lacking your drive and delegation skills.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”