Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Larkins

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
SimonS
Lemon Slice

The Larkins

Postby SimonS » October 13th, 2021, 6:10 pm

What a travesty!

Was there anything good about it, or was it simply an excuse to exercise the company's Woke credentials?
The acting was rubbish, one was totally aware that this was a bunch of shamateurs just saying the words, it was impossible to suspend one's belief that these were characters in a story. Bradley Walsh (more orange than Trump) played Bradley Walsh with the same verve and interchangeability as he exhibited in Doctor Who.

Then there were all the inaccuracies:

An MGA a 'girlie;s car', in 1958?
Offering the owner £250 (new it cost £844) for a bend in the bonnet (a new on cost £20, the garage might have charged one day of labour (£1.50) as wages were around £12 a week for full time manual workers.
The 'evil' property developer turns up in 1958 in a car (triumph Herald) not sold until 1959 and offers two to three times what the target property was worth. Obviously an offer to turn down.

A retired 'Colonel' in the Ghurkas who was Nepalese (even today only two Nepalis have been promoted to Lieutenant Colonel)?
A female of indeterminate race (she's meant to be the Colonel's sister, therefore Nepalese) as the schoolteacher, but peculiarly inept.
A cheery British Caribbean in the pub, used as an example of love at first sight.

Not entirely impossible in 1958, when one non indigenous person was rare, but to all end up looking reasonably prosperous, in a small village in the poorest county in Britain? Clearly an opportunity to exercise #diversity and qualify for next year's Baftas.

To demonstrate woke credentials an excuse was found to lecture the young male children in the etiquette of meeting girls. Gently, with kindness, quiet words and deportment. Don't scare them. Meantime their elder sister is demonstrating female independence by attacking someone who has kissed her sister with a length of 2 by 4 to the back of the head.

Obviously the lesson was only meant to apply to young men.

Still I guess being hit by tub thumping propaganda, badly acted but keeping members of the acting brotherhood in work, qualifies as entertainment today. At least it didn't have canned laughter but by being turned int a sort of soap expect assorted murders, a plane crash, train derailments and the revelation that Mariette isn't going to marry "Charlie" but instead will come out as a member of LBGTQ++, marry the barmaid but live in a maison a quartre, with a king size bed and Primrose in the flat downstairs for a bit of incest when the ratings fall.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: The Larkins

Postby bungeejumper » October 13th, 2021, 6:34 pm

Would I regret it very much if I asked what the Larkins was? Some sort of a retro docudrama, I imagine? Goodness, how time flies. So how is young Philip getting on with his parents these days? A little better, I hope?

BJ

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 13th, 2021, 6:42 pm

I'd not heard of it either, but on a quick google...

"The Larkins is British TV at its insipid worst – get ready for more like it

ITV’s dismal adaptation of ‘The Darling Buds of May’ paints a delusional picture of the nation’s own identity
."

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/larkins-british-tv-itv-b1937736.html

And others: https://www.google.com/search?q=The+Larkins&tbm=nws

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 13th, 2021, 6:50 pm

mc2fool wrote:ITV’s dismal adaptation of ‘The Darling Buds of May’

Ah, thanks. 1991? Who'd a thought it? I never saw it, but I understand it was the darling buds of Catherine Zeta Jones that kept the ratings up?

BJ

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » October 13th, 2021, 8:20 pm

One of the worst, wrong-headed things I've ever had the misfortune to watch.

Did you know that, once upon a time, popular culture had some value and sanity?

There is no hope. Ignorance has prevailed.

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » October 18th, 2021, 7:17 pm

Coincidentally I was putting up outside lights in Hildenborough in the rain today. The cast and crew of this thing are filming the Christmas Special in Underriver, down the road and have hired the building where I'm working to park, feed, and otherwise pander to those involved.

Not having a TV set it all meant little to me but this thread's title raised my eyebrow.

Chris

dubre
2 Lemon pips

Postby dubre » October 19th, 2021, 8:48 pm

We gave it another chance by watching the second episode. It was even worse than the first. So bad that the programme makers must be doing it on purpose. They are taking the michael...surely?

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » October 19th, 2021, 8:53 pm

dubre wrote:We gave it another chance by watching the second episode. It was even worse than the first. So bad that the programme makers must be doing it on purpose. They are taking the michael...surely?

We had decided to give it another chance. However a power cut intervened and thwarted our plan.

It does rather seem that groping in the dark in search of torches and candles was a better use of our time than watching it :D

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » October 19th, 2021, 9:35 pm

I watched a couple of bits of the first episode. I guess I asked myself what everybody else is asking. Why did they bother to make the series, because the first version with David Jason was perfick? Woke issues aside, I found the actor who played Pop Larkin was totally inadequate. In many ways the stories always revolve around Pop Larkin, and David Jason had the right amount of 'presence' to carry story lines which are neither outright comedy nor drama. The appeal of the stories is the pure nostalgia for a rural English idyll, which wokeism just corrupts.

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » October 19th, 2021, 10:23 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:I watched a couple of bits of the first episode. I guess I asked myself what everybody else is asking. Why did they bother to make the series, because the first version with David Jason was perfick? Woke issues aside, I found the actor who played Pop Larkin was totally inadequate. In many ways the stories always revolve around Pop Larkin, and David Jason had the right amount of 'presence' to carry story lines which are neither outright comedy nor drama. The appeal of the stories is the pure nostalgia for a rural English idyll, which wokeism just corrupts.

I've never seen 'Darling Buds of May' but there are some programmes and films that just shouldn't be remade.

Whose idea for example was it to remake the classic 'Get Carter' with Stallone in the lead role ??

Or The Omen (the original of which I've booked to see at just after midnight on Halloween with my girfriend who's never seen it..... :shock: )

Charlie's Angel, Ghostbusters.....nooooo

Don't even get me started on Still Open All Hours... :(

fisher
Lemon Slice

Postby fisher » October 20th, 2021, 1:28 am

SteMiS wrote:
Nimrod103 wrote:I watched a couple of bits of the first episode. I guess I asked myself what everybody else is asking. Why did they bother to make the series, because the first version with David Jason was perfick? Woke issues aside, I found the actor who played Pop Larkin was totally inadequate. In many ways the stories always revolve around Pop Larkin, and David Jason had the right amount of 'presence' to carry story lines which are neither outright comedy nor drama. The appeal of the stories is the pure nostalgia for a rural English idyll, which wokeism just corrupts.

I've never seen 'Darling Buds of May' but there are some programmes and films that just shouldn't be remade.

Whose idea for example was it to remake the classic 'Get Carter' with Stallone in the lead role ??

Or The Omen (the original of which I've booked to see at just after midnight on Halloween with my girfriend who's never seen it..... :shock: )

Charlie's Angel, Ghostbusters.....nooooo

Don't even get me started on Still Open All Hours... :(

The taking of Pelham 123!

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » October 20th, 2021, 7:53 am

I thought the Larkins was brilliant, very entertaining & great fun. I missed the first one and ive just watched the second on catch up.

I never watched the David Jason series at all and I don't particularly like Bradley Walsh but I was blow away by how much I enjoyed it.

Still, we can't all dislike the same stuff or life would be very boring wouldn't it !

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 20th, 2021, 1:49 pm

richlist wrote:I thought the Larkins was brilliant, very entertaining & great fun. I missed the first one and ive just watched the second on catch up.

I never watched the David Jason series at all and I don't particularly like Bradley Walsh but I was blow away by how much I enjoyed it.

Still, we can't all dislike the same stuff or life would be very boring wouldn't it !

I'm looking forward to getting a chance to see it and had been put off somewhat by the reviews here; so thanks for the encouraging perspective!

-sd

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » October 20th, 2021, 4:58 pm

richlist wrote:I thought the Larkins was brilliant, very entertaining & great fun. I missed the first one and ive just watched the second on catch up.

You cannot be serious!

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”