Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Disengagement

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Disengagement

Postby terminal7 » October 18th, 2021, 10:42 am

Clearly there has been some disquiet about the unending prejudicial 'banter' on this thread and more serious discussions on other threads. Frankly some Fools are too foolish for me and their attendant degree of polemics is no longer worth the effort to counter. From my position as a lowly lemon slice, I shall sadly restrict my comments to financial, legal and the arts.

T7

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: Disengagement

Postby 88V8 » October 18th, 2021, 3:10 pm

terminal7 wrote:...I shall sadly restrict my comments to financial, legal and the arts.

Although I enjoy reading the often misguided views of others :) I sometimes think it would not be a bad thing if we all did that.

V8

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » October 18th, 2021, 3:33 pm

I was saddened to read Itsallaguess's comment because I value and enjoy his posts and his absence, IMO is a loss to the TLF community. Consequently I've given the matter some thought and I wonder if there are too many non-investment boards and that TLF might be improved by pruning some of them, specifically those that tend to generate acrimonious disagreements and point scoring. There are of course other forums available elsewhere. Reducing the number of boards should make moderation easier too. After all, the description in the banner at the top of the page is Shares, Investment and Personal Finance Discussion Forums and it seems that the boards that generate most acrimony are those which aren't about Shares, Investment and Personal Finance.

RC

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 18th, 2021, 3:41 pm

Perhaps someone might care to enlighten the ignorant among us. To what thread does this refer? Neither T7's nor RC's references are clear to me.

I fear I try to disengage from threads that descend into generating more heat than light, so I've no doubt missed something.

Oh, and whole boards that generate more heat than light - as in HYP Practical. Whoops, that's an investment board blighted not by political issues but by obsession with its own rules!

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » October 18th, 2021, 3:46 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Perhaps someone might care to enlighten the ignorant among us. To what thread does this refer? Neither T7's nor RC's references are clear to me.

I fear I try to disengage from threads that descend into generating more heat than light, so I've no doubt missed something.

Oh, and whole boards that generate more heat than light - as in HYP Practical. Whoops, that's an investment board blighted not by political issues but by obsession with its own rules!

Speaking for myself:

viewtopic.php?p=450558#p450558

RC

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 18th, 2021, 3:51 pm

Just looking at a snapshot of subjects on the first page of Beerpig's Snug I see only one locked thread. I can't help wondering if what is actually missing here is a sense of proportion?

New here
Disengagement
Early Warning Notice - No Quantity Surveyors
Online pharmacies
Beam me up, Scotty
David Amess - Thread Locked
Hacked off
Cars - a genuine appeal
The Larkins
Resigning matters?
Is it now safe to send bank statements etc by email
The Start of a Retirement Plan
Merry Xmas
The End of the world
Poor Mark Zuckerberg
Micro Art
Interesting paint job but why?
Amazon: My Public Shame
Things that make you go oooh thread....
Here goes more panic buying
My kind of girl
Cat lovers ( Queen - Bo Rhapsody)
Packaging: here I go again
Expensive electricity
Electricity Price Hikes

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » October 18th, 2021, 4:11 pm

XFool wrote:Just looking at a snapshot of subjects on the first page of Beerpig's Snug I see only one locked thread. I can't help wondering if what is actually missing here is a sense of proportion?

New here
Disengagement
Online pharmacies
Beam me up, Scotty
Hacked off
Cars - a genuine appeal
The Larkins
Resigning matters?
Merry Xmas
The End of the world
Poor Mark Zuckerberg
Micro Art
My kind of girl
Expensive electricity
Electricity Price Hikes

I don't think you can take a locked thread as a measure. There are maybe 5-6 posters on TLF who insist on always having the last word and it's the sheer quantity of posts from these 5-6 that cause the problem, even though they might not push the boundary so far as to cause a locked thread. Even if the number of non-finance forums were to be limited, I can guarantee that the 5-6 would still find a way to divert threads into petty, pedantic arguments.

It's a real shame

doolally

Sussexlad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sussexlad » October 18th, 2021, 4:28 pm

XFool wrote:Just looking at a snapshot of subjects on the first page of Beerpig's Snug I see only one locked thread. I can't help wondering if what is actually missing here is a sense of proportion?

New here
Disengagement
Online pharmacies
Beam me up, Scotty
Hacked off
Cars - a genuine appeal
The Larkins
Resigning matters?
Merry Xmas
The End of the world
Poor Mark Zuckerberg
Micro Art
My kind of girl
Expensive electricity
Electricity Price Hikes

Well, as a contributor to the locked thread, i don't know what the issue was. Yes, it had drifted off the original heading but isn't that what happens in bars ? As far as I'm aware, there was no antagonism, just a mild disagreement. Anyway, as someone who's not an investor but just found the broad and sensible knowledge interesting, I'd be sorry to see the general interest boards removed.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 18th, 2021, 4:32 pm

Sussexlad wrote:
XFool wrote:Just looking at a snapshot of subjects on the first page of Beerpig's Snug I see only one locked thread.

Well, as a contributor to the locked thread, i don't know what the issue was. Yes, it had drifted off the original heading but isn't that what happens in bars ? As far as I'm aware, there was no antagonism, just a mild disagreement. Anyway, as someone who's not an investor but just found the broad and sensible knowledge interesting, I'd be sorry to see the general interest boards removed.

I do sometimes get the impression some people react to any kind of personal disagreement, or indeed argument, as if it were a public row or even a brawl...

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » October 18th, 2021, 4:46 pm

Sussexlad wrote:Well, as a contributor to the locked thread, i don't know what the issue was. Yes, it had drifted off the original heading but isn't that what happens in bars ? As far as I'm aware, there was no antagonism, just a mild disagreement. Anyway, as someone who's not an investor but just found the broad and sensible knowledge interesting, I'd be sorry to see the general interest boards removed.

That was my thought exactly. I thought the idea of a "pub" is a place where conversations drift from one topic to another.

But some people seem to get highly triggered if a thread goes off-topic. Each to their own I suppose.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » October 18th, 2021, 4:48 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:I was saddened to read Itsallaguess's comment because I value and enjoy his posts and his absence, IMO is a loss to the TLF community. Consequently I've given the matter some thought and I wonder if there are too many non-investment boards and that TLF might be improved by pruning some of them, specifically those that tend to generate acrimonious disagreements and point scoring. There are of course other forums available elsewhere. Reducing the number of boards should make moderation easier too. After all, the description in the banner at the top of the page is Shares, Investment and Personal Finance Discussion Forums and it seems that the boards that generate most acrimony are those which aren't about Shares, Investment and Personal Finance.

RC

Please, please, a million times..no! Like TMF, TLF is a place where I can delve into a bit of politics, economics and, thanks to excellent moderation, can read some very good discussions. Yes, it gets silly at times, but for the most part, we have some interesting arguments. Plus, I think that the rules 'discuss the message, not the messenger' serve a very useful educational lesson that we all learn.

Many years ago, the one place that kept me glued to TMF was the Joke board. These days, it's more than that; Comfort Cafe, Bitter Lemons, Beerpig's Snug, Legal, DAK, LBYM etc. There was a time on TLF during and following the referendum, when I didn't read the Serious Topics board due to the tabloid style, aggressive and frothing at the mouth type pro-Brexit posts, but now in 2021, it's a lot safer place.

So please don't change anything! I won't have a home! :roll:

Cue....'Somewhere over a rainbow'.... ;)

Steve

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 18th, 2021, 4:49 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:I was saddened to read Itsallaguess's comment because I value and enjoy his posts and his absence, IMO is a loss to the TLF community.

Agreed, IAAG is far and away the most thanked Lemon so his loss is indeed sad. At least he only said he was taking a break rather than leaving for good, so we may see him again. Plus we need all the Liverpool supporters here that we can summon.

I did wonder whether things are worse for IAAG because he is a moderator. Most of us can ignore Lemons whose contributions we deem worthless or worse. But as a moderator you are obligated to read such posts when they are reported, and then take action or not based on the content. So IAAG has less choice about what he reads than the rest of us, and it creates work for him.

As for T7 I fear he may not be completely innocent of the very sin he claims to dislike. :D

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » October 18th, 2021, 6:00 pm

Lootman wrote:I did wonder whether things are worse for IAAG because he is a moderator.
Wonder no longer, he wasn't a moderator. Unfortunately he quit that role quite a while back Chris

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 18th, 2021, 6:54 pm

Sussexlad wrote:Well, as a contributor to the locked thread, i don't know what the issue was.

I might have been the guilty party there. I reported my own post on the subject of housing and young people.

Basically I posted first, then realised what topic I'd posted under. Normally I'm perfectly happy with thread drift (so long as it stays basically civil), but seeing it in a thread about a murder victim made me uneasy. My suggestion was to split off that sub-thread into its own thread, but the mods took a different course.

As for people coming and going, it happens in any forum. We will lose valued members from time to time. Where's Snorvey?

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » October 18th, 2021, 7:03 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Where's Snorvey?
He wants to take some time away from the site. Chris

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » October 18th, 2021, 7:16 pm

There is always the foe box which serves as the old "Ignore Fool" did. Stops you from seeing their posts

Back in August on one thread I said that I'd have to stop posting as my new job had T&C restrictions on my public investment, finance and economics posts.

This was met with several abusive posts; all of these posters are now firmly in my foe box. When I returned, I was briefly met with some ignored posts.

They're all members of the group of serial posters who love to have the final word (and who hardly ever post about investment anyway)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 18th, 2021, 7:38 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:They're all members of the group of serial posters who love to have the final word (and who hardly ever post about investment anyway)

I think it is OK if there are some folks here who do not contribute on investment topics. After all there must be some souls who join TLF to learn about investing and that brings good faith new people to the community.

That said if someone posts a lot on boards like Current Affairs and News (CAN), often with a repetitive ideological theme, then I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt if and only if they also contribute to investment topics. If instead they do not, and most of their posts are on CAN, then I give them less of a break. Especially if a significant percentage of their posts are on an obsessive theme, like right-wing conspiracy theorists or endless bitching about Brexit.

And by the way I read the posts that were hidden from you, and both were Lemons from whom I have never seen any useful investment discussion. A characterisation that could never be attributed to you.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » October 18th, 2021, 10:09 pm

Lootman wrote:
SalvorHardin wrote:They're all members of the group of serial posters who love to have the final word (and who hardly ever post about investment anyway)

I think it is OK if there are some folks here who do not contribute on investment topics. After all there must be some souls who join TLF to learn about investing and that brings good faith new people to the community.

That said if someone posts a lot on boards like Current Affairs and News (CAN), often with a repetitive ideological theme, then I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt if and only if they also contribute to investment topics. If instead they do not, and most of their posts are on CAN, then I give them less of a break. Especially if a significant percentage of their posts are on an obsessive theme, like right-wing conspiracy theorists or endless bitching about Brexit.

And by the way I read the posts that were hidden from you, and both were Lemons from whom I have never seen any useful investment discussion. A characterisation that could never be attributed to you.

I do find it odd that on an investment forum there are people who have never posted anything about investment.
This is true for one of two of the main instigators. I know this because in a fit of boredom one day I viewed every single post they had made up to that point. It was mostly Brexit/Tories with a bit on TV and films. And bizarrely for someone claiming an interest in investment and making themselves better off (why else sign up to TLF as opposed to a politics site?), they had a prolific bit about a wealth tax.
Very very odd. Who are these people and why do they come here?

It would be like me signing up to Mumsnet to post about the 'evil Tories'/Brexit even though I have no children and actively dislike them.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 18th, 2021, 10:53 pm

For myself, I am always rather intrigued by those posters who seem to take an inordinate interest in the posts, posting habits or posting style, of other posters. Especially so when they are also at pains to point out how they have no interests whatsoever in those very same posts and posters!

Interesting... :)

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » October 18th, 2021, 11:35 pm

I don't understand any of this.

I have never posted anything about investment, but then again I tend to keep most of my sporadic posts to Beerpig's Snug. Should I not post anymore?

Yours

Confused of North London

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”