Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

MasterChef 2021

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

MasterChef 2021

Postby nimnarb » November 9th, 2021, 1:34 am

Saw the first two episodes tonight(thx simsqu for the reminder) Strange new format, 30 mins, then Eastenders then another 30 mins. Why? Also didn't we use to have 6 contestants to start with normally as opposed to 4 or did they change that last year? Can't remember. Anyway, even though Dan got praise from the judges, I can't see anyone, him included, reaching the top level. But oh boy, those bangers and mash that Marcus did were something else and going to try myself using the exact ingredients as looked delicious and better than anything else I saw tonight.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Re: MasterChef 2021

Postby nimnarb » November 20th, 2021, 2:38 am

Spoilers, below. You have been warned for those yet to see recent episodes......

Finally, some great cooking and dishes in episode 8 and just based on that alone so far, one or two of them will reach the finals I believe. Was getting concerned as the standard apart from hubcap ears John in a previous episode, the rest looked naff. I personally like Jamie, very calm and I think there is more to come from him but he has some extremely strong competition with Aaaron(worked or still works as a private chef for Sir Richard Branson on Necker Island) and Charith whom although I am not into very spicy foods, can clearly see is on another level, but will he come unstuck if asked to do anything non-spicy or non-asian?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 20th, 2021, 11:33 am

I agree with your take on this so far. That latest episode was top notch. Mrs RS called it when it came to which "two" would go through.

John

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » November 20th, 2021, 5:04 pm

nimnarb wrote: hubcap ears

Yes he's good, but his ears completely put me off. I can't stand looking at them: they make me feel funny.

I'd love to try the Sri Lankan guy's stuff.

Very pleased the man with huge quantities on black pubic hair on his chin has gone. Made me feel VERY funny

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » November 22nd, 2021, 11:48 pm

Was just on Amazon Prime and came across this...."My Greatest Dishes". (quoted in the guide)Twenty of the world's most celebrated chefs have been invited to cook the four dishes that have made them what they are today. Each of these culinary giants reveals the very best of their skill, their passion and their incredible stories.

Some interesting dishes therein.

Including, Tom Kerridge,(Corinthia Hotel, Hand and Flowers Marlow) Ollie Dabbous(Hide) Michele Roux Jnr(La Gavroche)Nathan Outlaw and Monica Galetti amongst the others but the first 3 had the pleasure of eating in their establishments. La Gavroche several times over the years since the late 60's as i just love the classical style of French cooking. In fact I actually just pulled off a half decent mieulle-fieux which I will have by watching the next installment of Master Chef as just cannot see that without stuffing my face with something :D

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » November 23rd, 2021, 11:32 am

nimnarb wrote: In fact I actually just pulled off a half decent mieulle-fieux :D

Impressive. I don't think I've ever seen a decent one made on Masterchef. They all end up looking like a multi-story carpark after an earthquake.

If you want to really challenge yourself, try making Michel Roux's Chocolate Marquise. I made it once: damn near killed me. Not because it was so complex (which it was) but because it was so rich.

Very good, though

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 23rd, 2021, 12:43 pm

simsqu wrote:
nimnarb wrote: In fact I actually just pulled off a half decent mieulle-fieux :D

Impressive. I don't think I've ever seen a decent one made on Masterchef. They all end up looking like a multi-story carpark after an earthquake.

If you want to really challenge yourself, try making Michel Roux's Chocolate Marquise. I made it once: damn near killed me. Not because it was so complex (which it was) but because it was so rich.

Very good, though

Thank god you hadn't pulled off a half decent spotted dick! :D

John

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » November 23rd, 2021, 4:08 pm

Simscu…

Made a few chocolate Marquise in the past. I’m ok with it as most ingredients one can find in a well stocked kitchen. I add orange extract, some white chocolate to an already high percentage of cocoa in a really well chosen rich dark choc base and add my fav, Antique Hine Brandy.

A decent Baked Alaska is my nemesis recently and just can’t get it right. Have you ever made a Zucchini desert? Can visualize you throwing up about now. :-))))

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » November 23rd, 2021, 11:08 pm

nimnarb wrote:Simscu…

That's my Romanian cousin...

He LOVES zucchini

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » November 23rd, 2021, 11:25 pm

Yes sorry about that, just not seeing the letters correctly at times. Always a bit dyslexic. Need to spend more time looking over what I post.

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » November 24th, 2021, 8:36 am

nimnarb wrote:Yes sorry about that, just not seeing the letters correctly at times. Always a bit dyslexic. Need to spend more time looking over what I post.

Not at all - I liked it: made me smile!

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » November 27th, 2021, 2:23 am

Whoa.......simplistic, almost minimalistic at times, yet beautiful plating, color, structure and texture was obvious from the minute he started to cook. This guy is not joking around. Serious, conscientious and had me pining for food. Spoiler below and he is...........................................................................

Liam!!!! Oh and Ryan not bad either but why do I think he will come unstuck somewhere along the line. Mind you, he was also a finalist in the Roux Scholarship in both 2019 and 2021 Hence his love for the classics and his obvious skills.

Interesting side note, Liam worked for Andrew Fairlie at his two Michelin star fine dining restaurant at Gleneagles in Scotland plus now in Nottingham's two Michelin-starred Restaurant Sat Bains and both those two went on to win the Roux Scholarship previously. At Sat Bains, he worked with Laurence Henry who won Masterchef in 2018 and told Liam to enter this year as he would walk it!!!

Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas to me and competition heating up.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 27th, 2021, 6:32 am

nimnarb wrote:Whoa.......simplistic, almost minimalistic at times, yet beautiful plating, color, structure and texture was obvious from the minute he started to cook. This guy is not joking around. Serious, conscientious and had me pining for food. Spoiler below and he is.........................................................................

Yes there is only one winner of this...his food looks superb and clearly tastes pretty good too. I can't see him slipping up.

John

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » November 27th, 2021, 11:19 am

redsturgeon wrote: I can't see him slipping up.

John

Agreed. Liam looks like a finalist: utterly driven and with a great track record as Nimnarb explains.

I did enjoy that nutter who couldn't even get a finished plate in front of Marcus, though

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » December 4th, 2021, 3:18 am

redsturgeon wrote:
nimnarb wrote:Whoa.......simplistic, almost minimalistic at times, yet beautiful plating, color, structure and texture was obvious from the minute he started to cook. This guy is not joking around. Serious, conscientious and had me pining for food. Spoiler below and he is.........................................................................

Yes there is only one winner of this...his food looks superb and clearly tastes pretty good too. I can't see him slipping up.

John

That's what I thought until I saw Daniel. The semi's should be stunning.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 4th, 2021, 8:01 am

nimnarb wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:

John

Aha...haven't seen him yet. This should be good!

John

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » December 4th, 2021, 8:45 am

nimnarb wrote:

Yes Daniel's just like Liam, only smiles a bit less.

I loved Jay Rayner's comments about the excessive foraging. Something along the lines of "not that fussed about all the undergrowth being thrown into the dishes, as long as it tastes good."

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 4th, 2021, 12:36 pm

simsqu wrote:
nimnarb wrote:

Yes Daniel's just like Liam, only smiles a bit less.

I loved Jay Rayner's comments about the excessive foraging. Something along the lines of "not that fussed about all the undergrowth being thrown into the dishes, as long as it tastes good."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Very good, both yours and Jay's comments!

John

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » December 8th, 2021, 1:56 am

Spoilers...............................

Well most of our favs gone through. Noticed that the best looking plates, received mostly the best comments, albeit Marcus was on the warpath and what he says normally is final, regardless of the other two. Daniel will have to learn to clean up his messy looking creations as this is the second time that his plating looked clumsy. I think the lad needs some sleep here as looking more like count Dracula by the day(or is that by the night).

Ryan sounding cocky and Aaron looking good for the finals and you just cannot beat a decent roast on a Wednesday but not a pork man myself. Liam still looking good and felt Marcus's comments about the carrots a bit naff! Matt coming out of nowhere plus I have never seen basically a baked potato with a runny egg in it...oooh ahhh! However what really made my evening, well not really, as couldn't quite believe what I was hearing as I had the Ashes in the background on the radio(and had forgotten to turn it off) with Rory Burns bowled out with the first ball and couldn't much concentrate after that. grrrrrrr. Could only happen to us!!! (Gone off track here and rambling now but ffs.) :oops: :cry: :roll:

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » December 16th, 2021, 4:57 am

Don’t know about you but being a foodie that last episode left me exhausted and riveted to the screen. Bloody hell, three phenomenal chefs(got two out of the three into finals which is on par)with Dan getting stronger with each episode. As for the Dorchester presentation, just sensational. Allez, allez let’s go, let it just dance on the plate, allez, etc, phew! It for me was like watching an exciting film. Also as opposed to previous series, these three were very cool under extreme pressure which only goes to show how competent they are.

So who is going to win? I will stick with Liam(only just) but Aaron(sure he has got bigger with each time we see him) is his equal and I really like his personality as well and then again Dan has done some risky, yet stunning dishes. Which only goes to show, I possibly have no idea. All of them show a delicate touch, great presentation and skills just on another level almost to the extent that they could be the best three we have ever seen in a final. It’s that close and which one Marcus likes the most, be it on simplicity, yet tastes out of this world or complexity with risk involved and tastes outstanding.

Can’t wait and may the best Chef win.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”