Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Well well...

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Well well...

Postby stewamax » November 11th, 2021, 10:47 am

I have a GB digital Railcard bought through East Midlands Railways (the Stansted <= Brum etc operator), and is attached to my EM Railways account.
I tried to import it to Trainline also.
Whoops. There is no mechanism for them to import such a 'not purchased here' card. When Mr Ticket Inspector comes round I have to open the separate GB Railcard app to display it.
I can understand the commercial rationale but if I already have a Railcard I am not going to buy a new one just to use on Trainline

I was so staggered by this obvious block in both the Windows and Android apps that I rang them. And this block was confirmed: "It is by design"

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Well well...

Postby Lootman » November 11th, 2021, 10:58 am

I use Trainline a fair amount, despite their pesky booking fee. I was disturbed by their aggressive attempts to persuade me to buy a new senior railcard through them. So I rejected that even without knowing about this proprietary problem.

I went old school with an actual physical card. No problems so far. I do use the Trainline app on my phone, so am not a total Luddite or technophobe. But getting a railcard through them was a step too far.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » November 11th, 2021, 7:46 pm

A handy hint, if you're a Tesco Clubcard holder, is that you can use Clubcard vouchers at a ratio of 3:1 to buy a Railcard (admittedly only a one year one).

So as a Railcard is £30 for a year it costs just £10 with the Clubcard - https://secure.tesco.com/clubcard/vouch ... 009982.prd

Although a 3 year card is discounted to £70 you'd still save £40 using vouchers. And if you are (as I am) an infrequent rail user I can see three annual Railcards spanning perhaps 5 years.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 11th, 2021, 11:40 pm

Lootman wrote:I use Trainline a fair amount, despite their pesky booking fee. I was disturbed by their aggressive attempts to persuade me to buy a new senior railcard through them. So I rejected that even without knowing about this proprietary problem.

I went old school with an actual physical card. No problems so far. I do use the Trainline app on my phone, so am not a total Luddite or technophobe. But getting a railcard through them was a step too far.

Aggressive selling?

Isn't that an American, Chinese and African route to market?

Unless you live in South America of course

AiY

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 11th, 2021, 11:54 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:A handy hint, if you're a Tesco Clubcard holder, is that you can use Clubcard vouchers at a ratio of 3:1 to buy a Railcard (admittedly only a one year one).

any idea if that works for a disabled railcard?

I cant say I noticed any chance to use tesco vouchers for that via the disabled railcard site when I renewed a few weeks ago ?

didds

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » November 12th, 2021, 12:01 am

didds wrote:any idea if that works for a disabled railcard?

I cant say I noticed any chance to use tesco vouchers for that via the disabled railcard site when I renewed a few weeks ago ?

You would have to go via the Tesco Clubcard site to trade Clubcard vouchers for Railcard discounts. I suspect Disabled is included, Senior (60 plus) certainly is.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 12th, 2021, 6:54 am

Trainline is just marketing.

They sell exactly the same tickets at exactly the same prices as you can buy at the station or through National Rail or any of the train franchise websites or apps.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”