Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

The new respectable dress code

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Nimrod103
Lemon Half

The new respectable dress code

Postby Nimrod103 » November 24th, 2021, 11:44 am

I watched Newsnight last night (for the first time in years) and saw a has been Labour politician and an unknow middle aged Tory MP talking about something. I could not get over the fact that both were wearing dark suits with white shirts unbuttoned so revealing the fact they were wearing nothing underneath. I realised then that I had seen this dress code very often in recent years, even Jeff Bezos.

I find that way of dressing quite repulsive. It reminds me of some giggolo, or group of seedy businessmen at a strip club. Why can't normal people wear a tie. Or at least button up.

marronier
Lemon Slice

Re: The new respectable dress code

Postby marronier » November 24th, 2021, 11:52 am

I think of this "style" as the "Recovering Alcoholic " look. It appears to be very popular these days. Personally, I say "No tie,no suit".

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 24th, 2021, 12:04 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:I could not get over the fact that both were wearing dark suits with white shirts unbuttoned so revealing the fact they were wearing nothing underneath.

I'm puzzled. You'd rather they'd been wearing string vests? Or thermal underwear, perhaps?

I'd have been as revolted as you if their shirt buttons had stretched to the point of revealing a wobbling gut. But that's the Prime Minister's department.

Why can't normal people wear a tie. Or at least button up.

Apart from cufflinks, a tie is probably the most useless item of clothing ever devised. Some, of course, use it for the same reason that Trobriand islanders use a penis sheath. :lol: For others, it's a way to show your cricket-club credentials or the fact that you went to Harrow. About the best that can be said for wearing a noose is that it tidies up your shirt front and catches the soup before it hits your belly.

Discuss. ;)

BJ

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » November 24th, 2021, 12:21 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
Nimrod103 wrote:I could not get over the fact that both were wearing dark suits with white shirts unbuttoned so revealing the fact they were wearing nothing underneath.

I'm puzzled. You'd rather they'd been wearing string vests? Or thermal underwear, perhaps?

I'd have been as revolted as you if their shirt buttons had stretched to the point of revealing a wobbling gut. But that's the Prime Minister's department.

Why can't normal people wear a tie. Or at least button up.

Apart from cufflinks, a tie is probably the most useless item of clothing ever devised. Some, of course, use it for the same reason that Trobriand islanders use a penis sheath. :lol: For others, it's a way to show your cricket-club credentials or the fact that you went to Harrow. About the best that can be said for wearing a noose is that it tidies up your shirt front and catches the soup before it hits your belly.

Discuss. ;)

BJ

If the top shirt button is undone, it should reveal a vest if worn. So in the absence of a vest, going for a couple of unbuttoned buttons leaves too much skin exposed. I would have thought that in these days of cutting down our heating because of the environment, we should all be proud to display the fact we are wearing vests?

I have never had a problem with wearing a tie, It can be an attractive and colourful compliment to a suit. Where I do have a problem is the trend over the years to go to expensive silk which must be dry cleaned. A synthetic tie always looked just as good, and was ten times more practical.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 24th, 2021, 12:43 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:If the top shirt button is undone, it should reveal a vest if worn. So in the absence of a vest, going for a couple of unbuttoned buttons leaves too much skin exposed. I would have thought that in these days of cutting down our heating because of the environment, we should all be proud to display the fact we are wearing vests?

I haven't possessed a vest since I was in primary school fifty years ago.

When I worked in IT in banks 10 or so years ago, the mandated dress was "business casual" which was suit or dark trousers/jacket plus shirt unbuttoned at the top with no tie. No mention of coquettishly exposing the undergarments.

I expect the code there is even more casual now.

Scott.

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » November 24th, 2021, 1:13 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Apart from cufflinks, a tie is probably the most useless item of clothing ever devised. For others, it's a way to show your cricket-club credentials or the fact that you went to Harrow.

BJ

I am reminded of my favourite Goon joke.

The candidates for the position of Curator of Fine Arts at the Ashmolean Museum are in the ante-room waiting for their interviews. One of the candidates is Eccles. Another candidate, making chitchat turns to Eccles and says, "I..er...I see you are wearing a Trinity tie."

"Yup"

"What did you do at Oxford?"

"Bought a tie"

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 24th, 2021, 1:29 pm

simsqu wrote:I am reminded of my favourite Goon joke.

The candidates for the position of Curator of Fine Arts at the Ashmolean Museum are in the ante-room waiting for their interviews. One of the candidates is Eccles. Another candidate, making chitchat turns to Eccles and says, "I..er...I see you are wearing a Trinity tie."

"Yup"

"What did you do at Oxford?"

"Bought a tie"

Amazing coincidence....... I listened to that very Goon Show episode yesterday, on BBC Sounds!

--kiloran
Edit....here it is, at 1m45s https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b007jmyg

Gostevie
2 Lemon pips

Postby Gostevie » November 24th, 2021, 1:46 pm

I am currently in a local pub and wearing sweatshirt, jeans and trainers. Tomorrow I am having lunch at my Club, where the dress code is strictly jacket, tie, shirt, tailored trousers and smart shoes for gentlemen. Long may it continue. It's all about choice. If you don't like the rules then don't join the club.

Gostevie

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 24th, 2021, 1:47 pm

Ties...pointless unless you feel the need to advertise which school/college you went to.
These days ties are for weddings, interviews, court appearances, and Reservoir Dogs (narrow, black)
When I was based in the office pre-lockdown I normally wore dark trousers and a shirt with top button undone. A tieless shirt done all the way up looks daft.
Others wore polo shirts/jeans/trainers - including the CEO a lot of the time

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » November 24th, 2021, 1:56 pm

I didn't want to emphasise the tie issue, as I realise there are many men who are pathologically opposed to wearing a tie. I was more upset about wearing shirts with 2 or 3 buttons unbuttoned, thus exposing more skin than I care to see. In last night's example, neither of the men had a hairy chest worth boasting about.

Ties have their place. My grandaughter has just started at state primary school. She has a formal uniform with a shirt and tie (I'm not sure if she has to wear it everyday). I think it is wholly inapropriate for such young chidren to wear ties.

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » November 24th, 2021, 2:24 pm

kiloran wrote:Amazing coincidence....... I listened to that very Goon Show episode yesterday, on BBC Sounds!

--kiloran
Edit....here it is, at 1m45s https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b007jmyg

Fantastic!

Thanks for that. Seems I got the details wrong but the gist correct

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » November 24th, 2021, 2:26 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:I realised then that I had seen this dress code very often in recent years, even Jeff Bezos.

They haven't worn ties in America for a VERY long time*. Especially in the hot bits, like California. Jacket without tie has been the business fashion there for as long as I've been visiting. Around 30 years. Long before it was common here.

Gryff

* As AC says, except for weddings and court appearances

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 24th, 2021, 3:10 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:Ties have their place.

Indeed. Several places. In period drama. In comedy. In a museum of clothing. Indeed, quite a wide range of historic contexts.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 24th, 2021, 3:56 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Indeed. Several places. In period drama. In comedy. In a museum of clothing. Indeed, quite a wide range of historic contexts.

Not forgetting in hospitals. Of course, you do get a bit of latitude as to how you wear them? :|
https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fat- ... -1.4731360
Bozza's bespoke tailored shirt saves the day, as ever. Bit tight around the nipples, though. Where's a string vest when you need one?

BJ

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 24th, 2021, 4:37 pm

Nimrod103 wrote: I think it is wholly inapropriate for such young chidren to wear ties.

what age is appropriate?

and on what reasoning?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 24th, 2021, 4:52 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

Not forgetting in hospitals. Of course, you do get a bit of latitude as to how you wear them? :|
https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fat- ... -1.4731360
Bozza's bespoke tailored shirt saves the day, as ever. Bit tight around the nipples, though. Where's a string vest when you need one?

BJ

Ackshurley.... I think ties are now 'discouraged' in hospitals as they are an infection risk....

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 24th, 2021, 5:17 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:I find that way of dressing quite repulsive. It reminds me of some giggolo, or group of seedy businessmen at a strip club. Why can't normal people wear a tie. Or at least button up.

What is wrong with not wearing a tie or not wearing a vest. I haven't worn the latter since I was about 10 years old and very rarely wear a tie these days. A suit with a smart shirt which is unbuttoned at the collar is fine, is it not? Were these guys wearing their shirts unbuttoned down to the waist or something?

I had never heard of the vest on display convention before, so asked my wife. Her reply was "Never heard of that. Must be some weird public school convention". So fess up gents who are in favour of the vest on display - did you got to a posh school? :lol:

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 24th, 2021, 5:22 pm

Clariman wrote:I had never heard of the vest on display convention before, so asked my wife. Her reply was "Never heard of that. Must be some weird public school convention". So fess up gents who are in favour of the vest on display - did you got to a posh school? :lol:

Not I. Haven't worn a vest since I was a small sprog, either.

But this being an investment-oriented board might bring us some enthusiasts.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 24th, 2021, 5:44 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Clariman wrote:I had never heard of the vest on display convention before, so asked my wife. Her reply was "Never heard of that. Must be some weird public school convention". So fess up gents who are in favour of the vest on display - did you got to a posh school? :lol:

Not I. Haven't worn a vest since I was a small sprog, either.

But this being an investment-oriented board might bring us some enthusiasts.

I see. It's all about the IN vestment as opposed to OUT vestment. Get it now thanks.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 24th, 2021, 5:49 pm

It is more an American convention that has caught on here.

The vest can either be a white T-shirt or a "wife beater" if you are of an Italian-American origin. To reveal the latter you need a few buttons to be undone.

Apparently you can wear the buttoned shirt for several days without washing it as long as you change the undershirt daily.

PS: The word "vest" in American English means waistcoat. They would use "undershirt" to mean what we mean by vest.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”