Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Last year I gave you my...

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
csearle
Lemon Quarter

Last year I gave you my...

Postby csearle » December 11th, 2021, 7:33 pm

...best.

This year what I want to know is why "A Fairytale in New York" doesn't seem to have made it onto the radio or into the supermarkets?

Of all the Christmas songs this is my favourite and last year it was everywhere. What's happening this year? Are they saving it for later?

Chris

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Last year I gave you my...

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 11th, 2021, 7:56 pm

Possibly the faggot word ?!
I'm sure there's a Bowdlerised version for the sensitive
It's actually quite a dark song if you listen to the lyrics

'You're an old slut on junk
Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed'

etc etc

Happy Christmas

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » December 11th, 2021, 8:01 pm

Blimey, I hadn't really dwelt upon the lyrics. I saw them at Boeblingen sports hall back in the eighties.

C.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 11th, 2021, 8:14 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Possibly the faggot word ?!
I'm sure there's a Bowdlerised version for the sensitive

Only since 1992! “You cheap lousy faggot” -> “You’re cheap and you’re haggard”. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmi_I3arS0U

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 11th, 2021, 8:22 pm

Travesty...! It's a scene between two imaginary characters, set to music
Imagine writing a play about Hitler and people asking you to tone down the hate speech...

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 11th, 2021, 8:28 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Travesty...! It's a scene between two imaginary characters, set to music

Imagine writing a play about Hitler and people asking you to tone down the hate speech...

There is precedence. The Rolling Stones agreed to replace the outrageouslyly provocative line "Let's spend the night together" with the saccharine "Let's spend some time together" in order to perform the Ed Sullivan TV show in the US in 1967.

Yes, even the bad boys of British rock compromised their principles, although Mick did manage an on-stage eye roll to mitigate the shame:

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-n ... r-6436569/

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 11th, 2021, 8:34 pm

Knopfler had similar problems with 'Money For Nothing' - despite it being 'reported conversation' rather than Knopfler 'speaking'
(I wonder if the delivery guys sued him for plagiarism?)

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » December 12th, 2021, 8:39 am

There is precedence. The Rolling Stones agreed to replace the outrageouslyly provocative line "Let's spend the night together" with the saccharine "Let's spend some time together" in order to perform the Ed Sullivan TV show in the US in 1967.

yes a sadly they have (or their managers have) now stopped singing Brown Sugar as some dopey woke decided it might be about drugs

but you can still buy the songs ...as they are meant to be...on various 'best of' albums, along with masses of other REAL songs

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 12th, 2021, 9:02 am

mutantpoodle wrote:yes a sadly they have (or their managers have) now stopped singing Brown Sugar as some dopey woke decided it might be about drugs

Erm... I'm pretty sure (having read Mick's take on it) that's not why they've dropped it

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 12th, 2021, 2:43 pm

servodude wrote:
mutantpoodle wrote:yes a sadly they have (or their managers have) now stopped singing Brown Sugar as some dopey woke decided it might be about drugs

Erm... I'm pretty sure (having read Mick's take on it) that's not why they've dropped it

Supposedly it was this slavery reference:

Gold Coast slave ship bound for cotton fields
Sold in the market down in New Orleans
Skydog slaver know he's doin' all right
Hear him whip the women, just around midnight

On that basis we should ban any number of well known novels and films, starting with Gone With The Wind. Most of the William Faulkner works would go as well. Once you start on the slippery slope of political correctness, it is hard to know how much art will survive such scrutiny.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » December 12th, 2021, 4:43 pm

I have Fairytale of New York on a CD of Christmas favourites so I shall make sure I play it loud and long. My favourite Christmas song is Tom Lehrer's Deck the Halls - mind you he's my favourite performer of all times, I've made sure that when I die his glorious rendition of "We'll All Go Together When we Go" will be belting out at the wake. I'm not having a funeral otherwise I'd have liked it played as the coffin disappeared through the curtain but as the crem have become touchy feely about certain songs I'll just have a damn good booze up in my local.
Cheers
R6

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » December 12th, 2021, 6:51 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:It's actually quite a dark song if you listen to the lyrics
'You're an old slut on junk
Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed'

etc etc
Happy Christmas

But boy how it changes

I could have been someone
Well so could anyone
You took my dreams from me
When I first found you
I kept them with me babe
I put them with my own
Can't make it all alone
I've built my dreams around you

Cheers all

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 13th, 2021, 12:24 am

Lootman wrote:
servodude wrote:

On that basis we should ban any number of well known novels and films, starting with Gone With The Wind. Most of the William Faulkner works would go as well. Once you start on the slippery slope of political correctness, it is hard to know how much art will survive such scrutiny.

The whole of it's pretty puerile :(
Still it was their decision to withdraw a song celebrating the joys of rape because they thought it might affect their revenue
- probably why they dropped the original "Black Puss*y" title back at the time

Wouldn't have had you pegged as a stones fan given previous comments

-sd

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 13th, 2021, 1:15 am

servodude wrote:Still it was their decision to withdraw a song celebrating the joys of rape because they thought it might affect their revenue

Seems Jagger (who wrote it) had some compunction about it even in 1995:

Interviewer: This is one of your biggest hits, a great classic, radio single, except the subject matter is slavery, interracial sex, eating pussy . . .
Jagger: [Laughs] And drugs. That's a double-entendre, just thrown in.
I: Brown sugar being heroin?
J: Brown sugar being heroin and --
I: And pussy?
J: That makes it . . . the whole mess thrown in. God knows what I'm on about on that song. It's such a mishmash. All the nasty subjects in one go.
I: Were you surprised that it was such a success with all that stuff in it?
J: I didn't think about it at the time. I never would write that song now.
I: Why?
J: I would probably censor myself. I'd think, "Oh God, I can't. I've got to stop. I can't just write raw like that."

https://web.archive.org/web/20091205235 ... ers/page/5

From what I gather the Stones have been playing more or less the same set list for some 50 years now ... they've sort of become their own tribute band!

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 13th, 2021, 1:26 am

mc2fool wrote:
servodude wrote:Still it was their decision to withdraw a song celebrating the joys of rape because they thought it might affect their revenue

Seems Jagger (who wrote it) had some compunction about it even in 1995:

Interviewer: This is one of your biggest hits, a great classic, radio single, except the subject matter is slavery, interracial sex, eating pussy . . .
Jagger: [Laughs] And drugs. That's a double-entendre, just thrown in.
I: Brown sugar being heroin?
J: Brown sugar being heroin and --
I: And pussy?
J: That makes it . . . the whole mess thrown in. God knows what I'm on about on that song. It's such a mishmash. All the nasty subjects in one go.
I: Were you surprised that it was such a success with all that stuff in it?
J: I didn't think about it at the time. I never would write that song now.
I: Why?
J: I would probably censor myself. I'd think, "Oh God, I can't. I've got to stop. I can't just write raw like that."

https://web.archive.org/web/20091205235 ... ers/page/5

From what I gather the Stones have been playing more or less the same set list for some 50 years now ... they've sort of become their own tribute band!

And no better than they ever were.

Dod

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 13th, 2021, 9:46 am

Some things are supposed to be raw and real and rock and roll is one of those things.

Art is another, painting, sculpture, poetry, literature all can be as real and raw as you like or a prissy as the artist wishes it to be.

I have few issues with any of it.

John

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 14th, 2021, 11:34 pm

servodude wrote:
Lootman wrote:
servodude wrote:Erm... I'm pretty sure (having read Mick's take on it) that's not why they've dropped it

it was their decision to withdraw a song celebrating the joys of rape because they thought it might affect their revenue
- probably why they dropped the original "Black Puss*y" title back at the time

Wouldn't have had you pegged as a stones fan given previous comments

Seen them twice albeit 25 years apart. Probably am due another before they die off.

If the "previous comment" was the one I am thinking of then you totally misunderstood my point.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 15th, 2021, 12:10 am

Lootman wrote:Seen them twice albeit 25 years apart. Probably am due another before they die off.

If you've seen the Charlie tribute concert footage you'd probably change your mind :(

Strange to think that the merch' from the tour I saw in the late 80's has popped up in the fashion stores for young ladies as retro chic - but it has (and the younger kid is presently wearing a "Day at the Races" T-shirt that she got last week :roll: )
- must be getting old :(

- sd

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 15th, 2021, 12:15 am

servodude wrote:
Lootman wrote:Seen them twice albeit 25 years apart. Probably am due another before they die off.

If you've seen the Charlie tribute concert footage you'd probably change your mind :(

Strange to think that the merch' from the tour I saw in the late 80's has popped up in the fashion stores for young ladies as retro chic - but it has (and the younger kid is presently wearing a "Day at the Races" T-shirt that she got last week :roll: )

Re Charlie I was sitting in the BA First lounge at Heathrow around 2004 and as it happens the manager of the Stones was sitting across from me. I cannot help but hear him on the phone telling someone that they were going public that Watts had throat cancer.

It all worked out but he probably should have been more discreet. Ironic that he is still going at age 80 or so but then again who would have thought that Keef would still be around? Have you read his biography> Quite brilliant.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 15th, 2021, 1:38 am

Lootman wrote:
servodude wrote:

Re Charlie I was sitting in the BA First lounge at Heathrow around 2004 and as it happens the manager of the Stones was sitting across from me. I cannot help but hear him on the phone telling someone that they were going public that Watts had throat cancer.

It all worked out but he probably should have been more discreet. Ironic that he is still going at age 80 or so but then again who would have thought that Keef would still be around? Have you read his biography> Quite brilliant.

Life?
- yup it's a goodun

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”