Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Making good use of xmas day

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Making good use of xmas day

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 25th, 2021, 11:50 pm

I've just submitted my 2020-21 tax return to HMRC.

Anyone else made productive use of today?

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Re: Making good use of xmas day

Postby Rhyd6 » December 26th, 2021, 12:00 am

When I was in HMRC someone always ran a book on how many people would submit their tax returns on Dec 25th. On behalf of HMRC staff
everywhere thankyou,you're going to make several people in several offices very happy.

R6

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 26th, 2021, 12:50 am

Rhyd6 wrote:When I was in HMRC someone always ran a book on how many people would submit their tax returns on Dec 25th. On behalf of HMRC staff
everywhere thankyou,you're going to make several people in several offices very happy.

R6

You haven't told us how long ago you were at HMRC. I take it you must've been in the era of online filing for that to be meaningful?

I've done it before (very likely last year) only to find later that, though I'd completed the form, I had failed to submit. It was one of their reminders that prompted me to check.

I'm cross with myself this year. Tax paid exceeds what I can reclaim by £55. Last year I reclaimed all of it, this year I got it wrong :(

p.s. What sort of numbers (ballpark) did you get?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 26th, 2021, 6:15 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:I've just submitted my 2020-21 tax return to HMRC.

Anyone else made productive use of today?

Yes Mrs RS and I sat down with three of my adult children, shared delicious food and wine, conversed and played various games that increased our pleasure in spending time with each other.

I cannot personally think of a more productive use of time.

John

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 26th, 2021, 7:35 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Rhyd6 wrote:When I was in HMRC someone always ran a book on how many people would submit their tax returns on Dec 25th. On behalf of HMRC staff

R6

You haven't told us how long ago you were at HMRC. I take it you must've been in the era of online filing for that to be meaningful?

I've done it before (very likely last year) only to find later that, though I'd completed the form, I had failed to submit. It was one of their reminders that prompted me to check.

I'm cross with myself this year. Tax paid exceeds what I can reclaim by £55. Last year I reclaimed all of it, this year I got it wrong :(

p.s. What sort of numbers (ballpark) did you get?

I like to be owing the taxman. Why lend him money?

Dod

PS What are you going to do with the further three days of holiday this year? Paint the house?

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » December 26th, 2021, 7:57 am

same as any other day apart from the tripe on radio and TV.

:roll:

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » December 26th, 2021, 11:37 am

Just as much tripe on the radio and TV as there usually is.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » December 27th, 2021, 2:55 pm

Hi UE, I was involved in Self Assessment from April 96 when the whole shebang started. In those days there was no on-line filing you had to post your completed tax return to which ever tax office dealt with your affairs. I worked in LP19 which was based in Wrexham, the LP stood for London Provincial and dealt with anyone who lived in certain areas of London or who used accounts based in those areas. Usually the office opened on the 27th Dec. and the figures we counted related to anyone anyone who had dated their return 25th.
When the tax returns were received they had to be entered manually into the computer and if we discovered glaring errors we were not supposed to contact the tax payer or even tell them they had made a mistake, even though in the long run it would have saved a hell of a lot of work in the future. Luckily, in the main, common sense prevailed and a quick phone call would be made pointing out any obvious errors or suggesting areas they might like to look out again. LP19, along with all other tax offices in N Wales has been closed and all work is now dealt with by Cardiff. Trying to get anything sorted by phone is a nightmare.
May your future submissions result in large amounts of moolah returned to you.

R6

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » December 29th, 2021, 9:32 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:LP19, along with all other tax offices in N Wales has been closed and all work is now dealt with by Cardiff.

It isn’t just North Wales. HMRC has closed every one of the hundreds of offices it had in the UK and opened thirteen new regional centres.

Tens of thousands of HMRC staff made redundant at huge expense, and many small business that used to get routine visits from HMRC staff based in local offices are now celebrating as they are hundreds of miles from the nearest new regional centre and are unlikely to ever see them again.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » December 30th, 2021, 10:19 am

Did mine in May. If the tax man owes me I will usually have it submitted as soon as I have my P60; if I owe the tax man I will leave it until January.

Which reminds me, I have some pension and vct contributions to do before the end of 21/22.

As for Christmas Day, pretty similar to redsturgeon's.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 30th, 2021, 12:07 pm

moorfield wrote:Did mine in May. If the tax man owes me I will usually have it submitted as soon as I have my P60; if I owe the tax man I will leave it until January.

When my amounts were substantial, I submitted as soon as I had all the relevant information (generally about June). Funnily enough, the sticking points were generally the most routine of things: employer's documentation, and if not that then having to go through bank interest painstakingly month-by-month to add up 1% of a few squid.

Now my amounts are sufficiently small that I don't feel that the timing matters. At least, that's my rationalisation.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 30th, 2021, 12:12 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:I was involved in Self Assessment from April 96 when the whole shebang started. In those days there was no on-line filing you had to post your completed tax return to which ever tax office dealt with your affairs.

When the tax returns were received they had to be entered manually into the computer

You still can submit paper tax returns if you wish, although it is made harder for you.

Presumably therefore there are still some HMRC clerks somewhere doing data entry.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 30th, 2021, 12:32 pm

Well I'm looking forward to December 2021 being over.

I had the opportunity to do my tax return in early December when self isolating due to Covid-19. So when home alone on Christmas eve and Christmas day due to a different nasty bug I had no tax return to do. I spent Christmas day rewriting an arrangement that I'd written the previous year. Listened to music the rest of the time.

C

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”