Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Cortisone injections

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Cortisone injections

Postby Rhyd6 » December 27th, 2021, 3:01 pm

Anyone suffering from osteoarthritis of the knee had cortisone injections? My friend has been offered this treatment and wondered if it is truly effective or not. She has been on a waiting list for surgery for over 3 years now and they've told her this waiting time has been extended by a further couple of years at least. Of course if she cared to cough up £13,000 they could do it sooner. Any information would be appreciated.

R6

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: Cortisone injections

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 27th, 2021, 3:21 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Anyone suffering from osteoarthritis of the knee had cortisone injections? My friend has been offered this treatment and wondered if it is truly effective or not. She has been on a waiting list for surgery for over 3 years now and they've told her this waiting time has been extended by a further couple of years at least. Of course if she cared to cough up £13,000 they could do it sooner. Any information would be appreciated.

R6

Mil has issues with her knee but refuses a replacement operation. She's waiting for a brace. The first style of brace wasn't great but they are sorting another style for her.

AiY

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » December 27th, 2021, 4:16 pm

Rhyd6 wrote: Any information would be appreciated.

R6

I've had cortisone injections but for a shoulder not a knee. My wife has also had cortisone injections. My impression is that they are - at best - short-term palliative procedures.

RC

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 27th, 2021, 4:22 pm

I had cortisone injections in my knee but the pain in fact emanated from my hip so they were not exactly effective. If the medics are sure the pain is from the knee I would go ahead. Surely there is not much to lose is there? Especially if it is free on the NHS. I agree with RC though.

In the current situation, I would insist on x rays to establish exactly where the problem lies and then find the £13,000 or whatever and get it seen to. I have had both hips replaced and with the first one I really waited too long and by the time I had the op (on the NHS) I was struggling to walk, even with a stick. In my neck of the woods a hip replacement is a bit less, more like £10,000, but I think it is a more straightforward operation than a knee.

Dod

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » December 28th, 2021, 9:55 am

Friend had arthritis in his toe, which he eventually had operated on to fuse.
He had a couple of cortisone injections which provided relief for about 6 months. When offered surgery, he went for it, but he is in a cast for 8 weeks, and will be off any sport for 6 months.
Cortisone seemed to keep it all manageable, but was only a short term solution

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » December 28th, 2021, 11:10 am

I had an injection in my shoulder many years ago and to be honest I can't remembder how effective it was. I also had one in my knee about 6 weeks ago for arthritis.

The injection is uncomfortable but not too bad, the doctor aspirates the needle and if he sees a straw coloured fluid he will draw that off before injecting the steroid (Hydrocortisone?). That wasn't necessary in my case but the doctor was chatting to me throughout the procedure The injection is a mixture of steroid and anaesthetic, the anaesthetic takes a while to have any effect, it's not instant like I expected and it lasts for about 48 hours.

The steroid takes 2 weeks to have much effect which then increases until it has full impact after a month. I'm now 6 weeks in and pain is starting to come back slightly. I can feel a little pain in it but I can walk normally and get up and down stairs fine. It should last for about 3 months although some people find the effects last much longer.

One thing I didn't realise is that it seriously compromises yiour immune system for about 2 weeks so you need to be really careful about social distancing and masks. With omicron around you are likely to catch it more easily and suffer more after the injection. After 2 weeks things get back to normal.

If the effects do last 3 months I think it will have been worth it.

I hope that helps.

elkay
Lemon Slice

Postby elkay » December 28th, 2021, 8:32 pm

I had cortisone injections in my knee twice, with little or no improvement both times. In my case, the anaesthetic was a separate injection administered before the cortisone injection.

What has made a significant difference is weight loss - I lost 4.5 stone in 2018 following a serious illness, and it has made a huge difference. I am still on the waiting list for surgery, but if offered in the near future, I will probably turn it down, as the improvement has been so signfiicant.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”