Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Seventies or eighties?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers

Seventies or eighties?

Seventies
57%
Eighties
23%
I like pop music, but generally not from either of these decades
4%
I don't like pop music at all
5%
The obligatory `other - please explain'
11%

Total votes: 56

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Seventies or eighties?

Postby Clitheroekid » January 3rd, 2022, 8:57 pm

In my never ending quest to find distractions from work I recently came across this compilation of chart toppers for every month of the 1970's - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0MzvQhl23U

I was amazed how many of them I remembered - in fact I counted only 4 that I can't recall ever hearing.

Ever a slave to YouTube's suggestions I then went to the same for the 80's - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTjjS5nN7xM There was a very similar result, with just 5 unknowns.

I noticed from the sidebar that they also did ones for the 60's and 90's, but I'd run out of time, and haven't got round to watching them yet, though I suspect my recognition count will fall dramatically with the 90's songs.

But although the 70's songs were far more the tunes of my teenage and early adult life, and there are a good few that have stood the test of time very well - Abba in particular - I decided that the songs of the 80's were generally better.

Which do you prefer?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Seventies or eighties?

Postby redsturgeon » January 4th, 2022, 8:50 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/ ... est-decade

Have you seen this series from Dylan Jones on BBC iplayer?

It is a good watch.

John

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » January 4th, 2022, 9:00 am

Seeme like the place to post this link
pick whichever decade you prefer
and a couple of genres as well
also on DAB radio and Alexa
https://planetradio.co.uk/absolute-radio/

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 4th, 2022, 9:01 am

The obligatory "other" for me. I like pop music just fine, as long as it isn't vacuous, over-produced, violent or generally synthetic. So not at all, then. :|

Sixties teenager here. At that time, a definition of "pop music" might have covered the whole span between Val Doonican/Vera Lynn and Hendrix/Fleetwood Mac. Although my personal interest was in hard rock, which deserved a special exemption on the grounds of brain impairment.

Apart from occasional sorties to dance venues, mainly for dating purposes, "pop music" died for me the day that the synthesizer took over. And I refocused on jazz, which is the thinking man's entertainment, if only because it's so bloody wilful and devious. It's funny that all the advanced synth technology in the world hasn't managed to reproduce the soul or the subtlety of a saxophone. 8-)

Harrumph.

BJ

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 4th, 2022, 9:35 am

bungeejumper wrote:The obligatory "other" for me. I like pop music just fine, as long as it isn't vacuous, over-produced, violent or generally synthetic. So not at all, then. :|

Sixties teenager here. At that time, a definition of "pop music" might have covered the whole span between Val Doonican/Vera Lynn and Hendrix/Fleetwood Mac. Although my personal interest was in hard rock, which deserved a special exemption on the grounds of brain impairment.

Apart from occasional sorties to dance venues, mainly for dating purposes, "pop music" died for me the day that the synthesizer took over. And I refocused on jazz, which is the thinking man's entertainment, if only because it's so bloody wilful and devious. It's funny that all the advanced synth technology in the world hasn't managed to reproduce the soul or the subtlety of a saxophone. 8-)

Harrumph.

BJ

I think John Chowning might disagree - we used to study his FM synthesis schema for reed instruments
and if you'd want "advanced synth tech" with soul have a look for "brilliant yes that would be" by underworld... it uses a mad recent granular synth that sounds amazing and hits me right in the feels (but then I always loved programming for foff in c-sound)

-sd

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 4th, 2022, 9:58 am

servodude wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:The obligatory "other" for me. I like pop music just fine, as long as it isn't vacuous, over-produced, violent or generally synthetic. So not at all, then. :|

Harrumph.

BJ

Underworld...80s then for your vote?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underworld_(band)

I think John Chowning might disagree - we used to study his FM synthesis schema for reed instruments
and if you'd want "advanced synth tech" with soul have a look for "brilliant yes that would be" by underworld... it uses a mad recent granular synth that sounds amazing and hits me right in the feels (but then I always loved programming for foff in c-sound)

-sd

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » January 4th, 2022, 10:03 am

Seventies or eighties?

An interesting question! For me, definitely seventies, though mid to late sixties runs it close.

As ever, I suspect nearly everyone will be influenced by their teenage years, but I can't help thinking that is less true these days.

When the only sources of music were Top of the Pops, the Light Programme, Radio Luxembourg or a pirate station, then later Radio One, everyone's focus was on a relatively narrow range of songs.

Now, there is so much scope for hearing such a wide range of music, I can't believe that a decade such as the noughties or 2010s will be marked by a limitied range of iconic "singles" as used to be the case.

Or am I just getting old? :)

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » January 4th, 2022, 10:09 am

staffordian wrote:Now, there is so much scope for hearing such a wide range of music, I can't believe that a decade such as the noughties or 2010s will be marked by a limitied range of iconic "singles" as used to be the case.

Or am I just getting old? :)

I hope not, as I feel the same
Will they be be playing songs from today in 20 to 30 years time , a few perhaps but not many

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 4th, 2022, 10:23 am

monabri wrote:
servodude wrote:

Harrumph.

BJ

Underworld...80s then for your vote?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underworld_(band)

-sd

Traditionally we ignore the albums before Darren joined!!
But yeah you're probably right

-sd

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » January 4th, 2022, 10:36 am

pje16 wrote:Will they be be playing songs from today in 20 to 30 years time , a few perhaps but not many

On the other hand, I think it will be the opposite!

My favourite decade has to be the '80s, music-wise, but as others have said, that's most likely a result of my age, growing up and hormonal emotions attached to a narrow range of music listening (as was available at the time).

These days, I'll tell Spotify about a song or artist I like and let it find similar work. I find myself listening to all sorts of new artists whose equivalents I would never have discovered back in the '80s. The result is that I listen to "a" song less often, but have many more recent artists in my favourites list.

Like the break-up of monolithic television watching as we migrated from terrestrial-only to Freeview, cable, satellite and internet options, there are fewer viewers watching any one program, but many more good programmes being watched. So it is with music (imho).

(Edit to add - based on the above I've voted "other", as I am in the position of being able to recall more '80s songs, but listen to more "other" by preference!)

VRD

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 4th, 2022, 11:04 am

staffordian wrote:When the only sources of music were Top of the Pops, the Light Programme, Radio Luxembourg or a pirate station, then later Radio One, everyone's focus was on a relatively narrow range of songs.

How can you possibly say that??!!!

Did you never go into a record shop where you could listen to and buy astounding new music by bands you'd never hear on the radio. Musicians and bands like Wishbone Ash, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Humble Pie, Yes, King Crimson, Cream and the list goes on....

And then there was the college/uni gig circuit.... We regularly saw bands like Stackridge, Camel, Stiff Little Fingers and loads more I can't think of for now.

None of these would you ever hear on Radio 1 (except The Beatles perhaps). In fact when I was at skool very few people listened to R1 as it was considered pretty naff and a general demonstration of a lack of musical sophistry.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 4th, 2022, 11:11 am

Mike4 wrote:
staffordian wrote:When the only sources of music were Top of the Pops, the Light Programme, Radio Luxembourg or a pirate station, then later Radio One, everyone's focus was on a relatively narrow range of songs.

Did you never go into a record shop where you could listen to and buy astounding new music by bands you'd never hear on the radio. Musicians and bands like Wishbone Ash, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Humble Pie, Yes, King Crimson, Cream and the list goes on....

And then there was the college/uni gig circuit.... We regularly saw bands like Stackridge, Camel, Stiff Little Fingers and loads more I can't think of for now.

None of these would you ever hear on Radio 1 (except The Beatles perhaps). In fact when I was at skool very few people listened to R1 as it was considered pretty naff and a general demonstration of a lack of musical sophistry.

I pretty much agree with everything you say there Mike...except "sophistry"..."sophistication" perhaps. :)

And I would add Soft Machine to the list...B'Ham students Union 1974...wow!

John

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 4th, 2022, 11:13 am

Good point. I just looked it up and it doesn't mean what I thought! Duhh....

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 4th, 2022, 11:14 am

Mike4 wrote:

Ahem. We call the John Peel show to the stand your honour.
Defence rests

-sd

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 4th, 2022, 11:15 am

redsturgeon wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

I pretty much agree with everything you say there Mike...except "sophistry"..."sophistication" perhaps. :)

And I would add Soft Machine to the list...B'Ham students Union 1974...wow!

John

I thought he meant "She's lying" by Jimmy Nail - but then they DID play that

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » January 4th, 2022, 1:42 pm

servodude wrote:

-sd

Just had a rummage on Youtube for Underworld. It has a laid back/spaced out feel that reminded me of Absolute Elsewhere "In search of ancient Gods", which I am now listening to. Taken me back decades.............

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » January 4th, 2022, 3:13 pm

i have been listening to classical music since i was in my pram 80 yrs ago.

it has been and continues to be one of the mainstays of my life .

with a few exceptions i have no leaning to pop , or jaz , or musicals.

but i have heard of no explanation as to why we have these differing tastes .

:?

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » January 4th, 2022, 6:20 pm

Now there's a coincidence. I'm catching up with Johnnie Walker's 'Sounds of The 70's' as I type. What a decade :D But then I'm old enough to have been there at the time. Your teens are the most formative years so it's all down to when you were born. My parents thought the 60s & 70's music was rubbish and I feel the same for modern music*.

* anything after 1990 ;)

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » January 4th, 2022, 7:32 pm

Redmires wrote:Now there's a coincidence. I'm catching up with Johnnie Walker's 'Sounds of The 70's' as I type. What a decade :D But then I'm old enough to have been there at the time. Your teens are the most formative years so it's all down to when you were born. My parents thought the 60s & 70's music was rubbish and I feel the same for modern music*.

* anything after 1990 ;)

Today's music (since 2000) is the same 4 chords and autotuned vocals. I can't see any point whatsoever in autotuned vocals - it sounds synthetic (like someone singing inside a pipe) and lacks any character or emotion. It was ok the once when Cher did it. But enough already.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 4th, 2022, 9:33 pm

MrFoolish wrote:
Redmires wrote:Now there's a coincidence. I'm catching up with Johnnie Walker's 'Sounds of The 70's' as I type. What a decade :D But then I'm old enough to have been there at the time. Your teens are the most formative years so it's all down to when you were born. My parents thought the 60s & 70's music was rubbish and I feel the same for modern music*.

* anything after 1990 ;)

Today's music (since 2000) is the same 4 chords and autotuned vocals.

Really? This must be one of the most badly informed posts on TLF.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”