Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

A Little Fun - Name the Gerbils

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

A Little Fun - Name the Gerbils

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 6th, 2022, 10:47 pm

My daughters Russian Dwarf hamster died on New Years Eve. She was two years and four months old which for this particular breed is a very good age. This was her second Russian Dwarf. The first managed a very impressive two years and one month. When her first hamster died she was particularly upset. We explained to her that "Popcorn" had lived in hamster heaven before he died. He had a huge cage with over 15cm depth of wood shavings in the bottom to allow him to burrow. And he never stopped burrowing. He had hanging food which he loved to climb up and gather for his parlour. He often was to be seen running over the lounge floor, in his hamster ball. He had a mezzanine under which he slept and on which he would eat and drink. He had a wooden house inside his cage and could burrow under his house to the far ends of his empire. We buried Popcorn in the garden. Our daughter has cherished memories and photographs of him.

Her second Russian Dwarf hamster was called Minnie. She was very small. She enjoyed interacting with our daughter and was like Popcorn very well looked after.

Today we collected two gerbils. They have a completely new cage. It has a glass bottom and and a wire cage above. It's big.

Tonight as she went to bed she still hadn't decided on names. She wants to call them after female characters from either Star Wars or Marvel.

She has two dogs - Milo & Winnie. Thankfully she doesn't name her fish. There's just to many of them. Although the rainbow shark in her barb tank is called Tony, after Tony Stark.

Our new small family members are cream/white & grey/white in colour.

I'm betting on Leia and Rey as the names for her young gerbils.

You're warmly invited to guess the name of the gerbils", just for a little fun. Maybe you would also like to share stories of family pets of the past and present and how you came to choose their names.

AiY

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: A Little Fun - Name the Gerbils

Postby servodude » January 6th, 2022, 11:01 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote: She wants to call them after female characters from either Star Wars or Marvel.

Great opportunity for some dad fun there!

You put both the gerbils in front of you and you look at them carefully.

You then suggest that they should be called Natasha and Yelena after the characters from Black Widow.

You explain that they are exceptionally talented, resilient, skillfull, strong, empowered role models for our present younger generation.

And that THAT one (don't forget to point) should be Yelena.

"Why dad?"
...It's got the bigger bum

- sd

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » January 7th, 2022, 9:56 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:My daughters Russian Dwarf hamster died on New Years Eve. She was two years and four months old which for this particular breed is a very good age. This was her second Russian Dwarf. The first managed a very impressive two years and one month. When her first hamster died she was particularly upset. We explained to her that "Popcorn" had lived in hamster heaven before he died. He had a huge cage with over 15cm depth of wood shavings in the bottom to allow him to burrow. And he never stopped burrowing. He had hanging food which he loved to climb up and gather for his parlour. He often was to be seen running over the lounge floor, in his hamster ball. He had a mezzanine under which he slept and on which he would eat and drink. He had a wooden house inside his cage and could burrow under his house to the far ends of his empire. We buried Popcorn in the garden. Our daughter has cherished memories and photographs of him.

Her second Russian Dwarf hamster was called Minnie. She was very small. She enjoyed interacting with our daughter and was like Popcorn very well looked after.

Today we collected two gerbils. They have a completely new cage. It has a glass bottom and and a wire cage above. It's big.

Tonight as she went to bed she still hadn't decided on names. She wants to call them after female characters from either Star Wars or Marvel.

She has two dogs - Milo & Winnie. Thankfully she doesn't name her fish. There's just to many of them. Although the rainbow shark in her barb tank is called Tony, after Tony Stark.

Our new small family members are cream/white & grey/white in colour.

I'm betting on Leia and Rey as the names for her young gerbils.

You're warmly invited to guess the name of the gerbils", just for a little fun. Maybe you would also like to share stories of family pets of the past and present and how you came to choose their names.

AiY

Jabba the Gerbil
Boba Rat

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » January 7th, 2022, 11:11 am

Sithri and Peo...

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » January 7th, 2022, 2:25 pm

Padme and Cara would work I reckon

MM

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » January 7th, 2022, 2:56 pm

You asked for two female names...

You do know that giving them female names doesn't make them female?

So, unless you're very sure that they are ladies, you could be exercising the hive mind of Fooldom again a few weeks from now!

Watis

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » January 9th, 2022, 11:03 am

Well at least AiY's daughter sounds somewhat less bloodthirsty than my eldest. I received a phone call in work from youngest daughter to say that her hamster had died. I expressed my condolences in the usual Mum way and said that when I got home we'd give it a nice burial in the pets cemetery. This produced even louder howling and a cry of "there'll be nothing left to bury L is dissecting it". No surprise when eldest daughter went on to be a veterinary nurse. My mum was less than pleased when she discovered her sharpest knife had been used for the job.

R6

SimonS
Lemon Slice

Postby SimonS » January 9th, 2022, 11:21 am

Watis wrote:You asked for two female names...

You do know that giving them female names doesn't make them female?

So, unless you're very sure that they are ladies, you could be exercising the hive mind of Fooldom again a few weeks from now!

Watis

Clearly one is CB-26 (named after Carrie Beck- Vice president of animation at Lucasfilm) [SeeBeeTooSicks]
The other is MSE-8, the mouse droid that scared Chewbacca, what better for a bold gerbil. [MouseAte my homework]

And if the gerbil gender turns out to be wrong, the name stays the same

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 9th, 2022, 2:05 pm

The decision is in

Astra & Wanda :roll:

The grey/white gerbil is Astra & the cream/white one is Wanda.

This could change though - so we haven't had a proper christening just yet :lol:

AiY

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » January 9th, 2022, 4:52 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:The decision is in

This could change though - so we haven't had a proper christening just yet :lol:

AiY

Good names. Easy to remember.

My gerbils were called Silky and Lucy, and I spoiled them sick by filling boxes with sand and toys and letting them play while I cleaned out their cage. This was c.1972 when I was 11. I came close to losing one while constructing a rocket with cardboard escape capsule and parachute, but a combination of burning my hand while experimenting with fuel and my mum hearing my scream, sort of put an end to that. Anyone who's read the William books will understand why 11-year old boys should be shown no mercy! 8-)

Steve

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » January 9th, 2022, 5:06 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:The decision is in

AiY

I thought Wanda was a fish.

SimonS
Lemon Slice

Postby SimonS » January 11th, 2022, 9:14 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:
I thought Wanda was a fish.

No, it's the Scarlet Witch from the Avengers (Marvel, that is, not Steed and partner). Wanda Maximoff.

Started off life as an evil mutant from Eastern Europe (no propaganda there then) who linked up with the wicked Magneto and was then seduced ( hoping to rescue her reputation) to the side of Light by Captain America when the original Avengers broke up.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”