Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Dab radio

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Re: Dab radio

Postby Rhyd6 » January 9th, 2022, 10:56 am

After all the information provided OH considering buying Echo Dot 4th gen will it be any good for radio?

R6

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 9th, 2022, 11:03 am

Rhyd6 wrote:After all the information provided OH considering buying Echo Dot 4th gen will it be any good for radio?

R6

I believe you can enable a "skill" so that it can play stuff from radio stations; but that's done over the interwebs and not to through one of the more traditional broadcast mechanisms.

-sd

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 9th, 2022, 12:57 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:After all the information provided OH considering buying Echo Dot 4th gen will it be any good for radio?

Yes absolutely fine.

Simple as "Alexa play Radio 4" or whatever.

Scott.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 10th, 2022, 1:18 am

bungeejumper wrote:
scotia wrote:I remember, some years ago, being given a guided tour around the LInn factory, which concluded with a listening session. First they played an MP3 recording, then they played a standard CD recording - and I could tell the difference. Then they upped their game to a high bit rate digital recording - and I was struggling to hear any difference.

I'm another of those who can tell a mid-grade MP3 from a CD, any day. Warbling bass, jangling upper frequencies. If they ever start broadcasting DAB in better quality, I'll get more serious about buying some better kit. But there's no doubt in my mind that vinyl has a better sound than either - I suppose that's because it's using a sine wave, as designed by mother nature, rather than a square wave, as favoured by astrophysicists?

BJ

The Linn tour was a right of passage for us; and not just because Castlemilk can be "exciting" ;)

The fact there was anyone doing anything in that market with a G postcode - AND doing it so bloody well was literally inspirational
I guess that's why they took a bus of us out there in the first place :)

The Sondek LP12 is a thing of beauty (and it doesn't need a bath of silicone ;) ) it is a bloody excellent turntable in every regard
- pretty sure though the reason they sound "better" than the really high end digital in an A/B/Y test though is because the disks are mastered to suit the available range
- that gives them just enough compression (audio limiting not the digital stuff that makes things bad) to give them an increased perceived punch or clarity; marginally less fidelity but a tad more oomph and balance (and a lot more pretty to watch)

The highlight of the tour for me though was the LinnDrum - THAT was the 80s in a box! (in a good way :) )

- sd

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » January 10th, 2022, 1:24 am

servodude wrote:The highlight of the tour for me though was the LinnDrum - THAT was the 80s in a box! (in a good way :) )

- sd

Thats strange, the LinnDrum was made by a completely different company!

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 10th, 2022, 2:28 am

Lanark wrote:
servodude wrote:The highlight of the tour for me though was the LinnDrum - THAT was the 80s in a box! (in a good way :) )

- sd

Thats strange, the LinnDrum was made by a completely different company!

indeed! what a brainfart!
- that was brought in to the class by the lecturer which explains why there was an 808 next to it
(in my defence the first few years of uni were a bit hazy )

- sd

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”