Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Star Wars - What's Your Favourite Character & Film/Series

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Star Wars - What's Your Favourite Character & Film/Series

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 10th, 2022, 6:51 am

I was torn between Rey and Luke, but Rey won out as she has, in my opinion a better sense of humour.

Favourite Character - Rey Skywalker

Favourite Film - Return of the Jedi

Obi Wan's film is out later this year. Looking forward to it.

AiY(D)

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Star Wars - What's Your Favourite Character & Film/Series

Postby servodude » January 10th, 2022, 7:21 am

Wedge Antilles (he's just so bloody reliable) and Empire.

-sd

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » January 10th, 2022, 7:33 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:I was torn between Rey and Luke, but Rey won out as she has, in my opinion a better sense of humour.

Well Rey can do everything, so it stands to reason she can tell a good joke.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » January 10th, 2022, 10:17 pm

Jedi Master Bayts.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 10th, 2022, 10:32 pm

So what are we expecting from the upcoming Obi-Wan Kenobi release?

I haven't got a clue

AiY(D)

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 10th, 2022, 10:37 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:So what are we expecting from the upcoming Obi-Wan Kenobi release?

I haven't got a clue

AiY(D)

Lots of comments about why they should not have reused Hayden I'd guess?

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 10th, 2022, 10:43 pm

servodude wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:So what are we expecting from the upcoming Obi-Wan Kenobi release?

I haven't got a clue

AiY(D)

Lots of comments about why they should not have reused Hayden I'd guess?

Oh dear ... I need to catch up. He wasn't great as Anakin was he?

I do like some of the battle scenes in the second (chronologically the first) trilogy though.

AiY

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » January 11th, 2022, 1:24 pm

Jyn Erso.
I find Felicity Jones rather easy on the eye

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 11th, 2022, 1:54 pm

TUK020 wrote:Jyn Erso.
I find Felicity Jones rather easy on the eye

Sound logic

AiY

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » January 11th, 2022, 1:56 pm

Character - Baby Yoda aka Grogu (sitting on the desk where I'm typing this is an animatronic Baby Yoda)

Film/Series - The Mandalorian

I'm somewhat biased, being a Disney shareholder, but IMHO Star Wars had been run into the ground before Baby Yoda appeared and saved the franchise. It was very telling that just before the release of the last film, "The Rise of Skywalker", there was much more interest in Baby Yoda than the film, particularly when rumours circulated that Baby Yoda might be in the film.

The recent films (except for "Rogue One") were poor, whilst members of the creative team had gone out of their way to deliberately antagonise a lot of the older fan base. They also seemed to be unaware of just how much source material there was for Star Wars, and complained about how difficult it was to come up with new ideas compared to Marvel films who just mined the comic books for ideas. This Rolling Stone interview (linked below) from 2019 with Lucasfilm's boss is very telling; when asked about the future of Star Wars referred to Marvel and its comic book library, she said:

"Every one of these movies is a particularly hard nut to crack. There’s no source material. We don’t have comic books. We don’t have 800-page novels. We don’t have anything other than passionate storytellers who get together and talk about what the next iteration might be."

https://www.rollingstone.com/feature/lucasfilm-president-kathleen-kennedy-interview-rise-skywalker-future-star-wars-912393/

Doh!!! There's a colossal amount of Star Wars books, comic books and other stuff known as the Star Wars Expanded Universe. Back in 2014 Lucasfilm decided to pretend this didn't exist by making all Expanded Universe material "non-canonical to the franchise", thus seriously pissing off much of the older fanbase. Fans have been making short films for many years, with many being far superior in terms of storyline to the last few official films; they could have done a lot worse than give some of these people a go.

If you've not seen (or heard much) of The Mandalorian, the first series is essentially a Spaghetti Western set in the Star Wars universe. There's a fan made trailer for The Mandalorian, done in the style of "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" (link below):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJH_RbnrGUs

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 11th, 2022, 2:15 pm

Back in 2014 Lucasfilm decided to pretend this didn't exist by making all Expanded Universe material "non-canonical to the franchise"
I long ago decided that everything bar Eps IV, V, and VI is non-canonical....

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » January 11th, 2022, 7:06 pm

I actually quite liked the first Rey episode and even Rey herself. But she was implausibly good at everything. Like the way she could fly the Falcon with ease.

I could have written better myself. I would have had her desperately struggling to control the Falcon as she was being chased, and revealing to Finn that her only experience of flying was parking the wrecks in the scrap yard. At the end of the scene she would slam on the brakes, spinning the Falcon into a parked position in a crater. The pursuit craft would then crash into the surface. Plot hole sorted.

CollinsObilo

Postby CollinsObilo » January 12th, 2022, 8:57 am

The Money Heist series, also known as La Casa de Papel, is among my favorites on Netflix. Their acting is fantastic.

Money Heist is a comprehensive package that includes selfish and misogynistic characters, criminals, and cops.

The storyline is suspenseful for the most part, although you may cry and laugh at the same time. Through the roles and emotions that occur, they all persuade everyone.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » January 12th, 2022, 9:26 am

AleisterCrowley wrote: Back in 2014 Lucasfilm decided to pretend this didn't exist by making all Expanded Universe material "non-canonical to the franchise"
I long ago decided that everything bar Eps IV, V, and VI is non-canonical....

I'd go far as saying everything bar Eps V is non-canonical. In a nutshell that tells you pretty much everything you need to know about the rest.

The one with the teddy bears? Heathen.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 12th, 2022, 10:27 am

I love the first one (IV), having seen it at the cinema when it was released in 1977
I hear that Lucas has gone back and fiddled with the original, adding CGI and changing dialogue. ... hopefully the proper version is still available

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » January 12th, 2022, 10:57 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:I love the first one (IV), having seen it at the cinema when it was released in 1977
I hear that Lucas has gone back and fiddled with the original, adding CGI and changing dialogue. ... hopefully the proper version is still available

Yes. The version of Star Wars on Disney+ has several changes from the original, notably that nowdays Han Solo shoots Greedo in the Cantina only after Greedo shoots first (making Imperial Stormtroopers look like crack shots). From what I've been told there are other changes, but nothing as blatant as this.

The TV series "Justified" did an excellent mickey take of "Han Shot First" this in a promo piece for series 2, where US Marshal Raylan Givens (played by Timothy Olyphant) confronts a fugitive at a table in a bar. (link below, it's only 30 seconds long).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVT0B3pPsa8

Lucasfilm returned the favour in series 2 of The Mandalorian by casting Olyphant as "The Marshal", in an episode where he basically plays Raylan Givens in the Star Wars universe.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » January 12th, 2022, 7:07 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:The TV series "Justified" did an excellent mickey take of "Han Shot First" this in a promo piece for series 2, where US Marshal Raylan Givens (played by Timothy Olyphant) confronts a fugitive at a table in a bar. (link below, it's only 30 seconds long).

I have the entire Justified collection on DVD.
Only problem is that if I watch the entire thing yet again, I might wind up divorced.
Raylan Givens is the definition of cool dude

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » January 12th, 2022, 8:01 pm

TUK020 wrote:I have the entire Justified collection on DVD. Only problem is that if I watch the entire thing yet again, I might wind up divorced.

A tough decision :D

I finished the final series last night on DVD. Fourth time I've seen Justified. Gets better every time.

Olyphant's Cobb Vanth in The Mandalorian, just like Raylan Givens, is a super cool character who faces extreme danger with barely a raised eyebrow. I didn't know that he was in it, but as soon as he appeared (entering a cantina) and spoke (his face was covered) I thought "Raylan Givens"

The bartender in that scene is played, under heavy prosthetics, by W. Earl Brown,. He was in an early episode of Justified, playing the prisoner who took a guard hostage in the Marshal's office.

He played Dan Dority in Deadwood alongside Olyphant's Seth Bullock!
Last edited by SalvorHardin on January 12th, 2022, 8:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 12th, 2022, 8:06 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:I love the first one (IV), having seen it at the cinema when it was released in 1977

At least they had the sense not to go back and mess with the holiday special! :o

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 13th, 2022, 12:17 am

CollinsObilo wrote:The Money Heist series, also known as La Casa de Papel, is among my favorites on Netflix. Their acting is fantastic.

Money Heist is a comprehensive package that includes selfish and misogynistic characters, criminals, and cops.

The storyline is suspenseful for the most part, although you may cry and laugh at the same time. Through the roles and emotions that occur, they all persuade everyone.
Welcome to The Lemon Fool! Nice first post! :) C.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”