Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

SADos

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

SADos

Postby Leothebear » January 11th, 2022, 3:49 pm

In my location, West Sussex, it's been one of the dullest Decembers on record. No improvement so far in the new year.

While I don't get a full on depression, the dark days do have a negative effect on me. My energy and enthusiasm just seems to seep away. Thankfully the forecast looks brighter unless we are under a fog blanket for the rest of the week! I have my bright daylight lamp on as I write - although God knows if it does anything!

So if there are any SAD sufferers here on TLF you have my sympathy.

Leo

seagles
Lemon Slice

Re: SADos

Postby seagles » January 11th, 2022, 3:58 pm

I am also a SAD sufferer and Covid rules have not helped, but many years back I had an apppoinment with my Doctor and brought up the subject and asked about Vitamin D. He said that professionally he could not advise the use of Vitamin D tablets. However, as his wife swore by them he would not go against her advice, :lol: . Now Vitamin D is recommended as a year round good to have. Not sure if it does work but have taken it for a long while.
Strange how my SAD started after my first attempt at retirement, I knew those regular trips to Israel and Saudi came in useful for something.

marronier
Lemon Slice

Postby marronier » January 11th, 2022, 4:54 pm

Could it be that susceptibility to SAD depends on when one is born. A spring child is born when the days are getting longer and the nights shorter , so in their first six months this is imprinted in the psyche of the infant , resulting in expectation of waking to daylight. The autumn born child is born into a world of lengthening nights and shortening daylight hours , so the chance of waking in darkness is more likely and accepted as normal in their first six months. Those born in summer or winter experience days of roughly even hours of day/night light.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » January 11th, 2022, 5:01 pm

marronier wrote:Could it be that susceptibility to SAD depends on when one is born. A spring child is born when the days are getting longer and the nights shorter , so in their first six months this is imprinted in the psyche of the infant , resulting in expectation of waking to daylight. The autumn born child is born into a world of lengthening nights and shortening daylight hours , so the chance of waking in darkness is more likely and accepted as normal in their first six months. Those born in summer or winter experience days of roughly even hours of day/night light.

Based on a sample of two, I don't think so. My birthday is mid-feb and I don't suffer from SAD. My wife's birthday is 1 week later and she does suffer from SAD

--kiloran

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”