Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

PO Scandal

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
cinelli
Lemon Slice

Re: PO Scandal

Postby cinelli » April 25th, 2022, 2:25 pm

There is a Panorama programme about this today at 8pm on BBC1. It's not clear how much new material will be shown.

Cinelli

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » April 25th, 2022, 10:33 pm

just watched it
I had forgotten how scandalous it was
Watching Paula Vennells squirm in front of the parliamentary committee was the best part :D

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » April 26th, 2022, 5:37 am

pje16 wrote:
just watched it

I had forgotten how scandalous it was

Watching Paula Vennells squirm in front of the parliamentary committee was the best part

Available on iPlayer here for 11 months - https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0016t20/panorama-the-post-office-scandal

A shocking tale, with human costs many of those to blame will never know or appreciate.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 26th, 2022, 9:29 am

I sometimes feel Panorama programmes nowadays are a bit superficial but I thought this was a very effective summary, in the time available, of what is a complex matter.

One small technical gripe: Using a red typeface (Post Office!) for on screen titles. Red is not a good colour for detailed text in film/TV.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » April 26th, 2022, 5:25 pm

The Panorama programme barely scratches the surface of this massive scandal. A veritable timebomb brought to us by those wonderful PFI merchants in the late 1990s. As I mentioned back in February, the Private Eye has been writing about this scandal for years (see the link for a much more in-depth analysis with a full list of the usual suspects) - yet the programme gives the impression that little has surfaced until the last few years. It is surprising that the main stream media outlets have fought shy of this scandal. I always wondered if a super injunction had been used by some of the main parties. Of course - by definition - we will never know.

T7

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 26th, 2022, 6:21 pm

terminal7 wrote:The Panorama programme barely scratches the surface of this massive scandal. A veritable timebomb brought to us by those wonderful PFI merchants in the late 1990s. As I mentioned back in February, the Private Eye has been writing about this scandal for years (see the link for a much more in-depth analysis with a full list of the usual suspects) - yet the programme gives the impression that little has surfaced until the last few years. It is surprising that the main stream media outlets have fought shy of this scandal.

I don't know exactly what you have in mind by "mainstream media", but the BBC has not fought shy of it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/series/m000jf7j

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » April 27th, 2022, 12:46 am

XFool wrote:
terminal7 wrote:The Panorama programme barely scratches the surface of this massive scandal. A veritable timebomb brought to us by those wonderful PFI merchants in the late 1990s. As I mentioned back in February, the Private Eye has been writing about this scandal for years (see the link for a much more in-depth analysis with a full list of the usual suspects) - yet the programme gives the impression that little has surfaced until the last few years. It is surprising that the main stream media outlets have fought shy of this scandal.

I don't know exactly what you have in mind by "mainstream media", but the BBC has not fought shy of it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/series/m000jf7j

It's no accident that the government want to see the back of the BBC (and C4) when they produce damning programmes like this (File on 4, Panorama and Dispatches etc). Much better for governments of all persuasions to hide behind TV channels producing nothing but mind numbing 'entertainment'. And yes, ostrich anus eating politicians, I'm referring to you !

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 27th, 2022, 12:48 am

Redmires wrote: And yes, ostrich anus eating politicians, I'm referring to you !

Oh! for a simpler time when that would have been purely metaphorical :(

Sorcery
Lemon Quarter

Postby Sorcery » April 27th, 2022, 1:13 am

Redmires wrote:
XFool wrote:

It's no accident that the government want to see the back of the BBC (and C4) when they produce damning programmes like this (File on 4, Panorama and Dispatches etc). Much better for governments of all persuasions to hide behind TV channels producing nothing but mind numbing 'entertainment'. And yes, ostrich anus eating politicians, I'm referring to you !

Oh God, please help me, I have stumbled into an alternative reality. This seems something I have been doing a lot of lately. Should I see a Doctor? Or will you God do?

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » April 27th, 2022, 9:51 am

Oh God, please help me, I have stumbled into an alternative reality. This seems something I have been doing a lot of lately. Should I see a Doctor? Or will you God do?

Perhaps you could explain, to the less perceptive of us, what you're on about?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 27th, 2022, 9:56 am

Sorcery wrote:Oh God, please help me, I have stumbled into an alternative reality. This seems something I have been doing a lot of lately. Should I see a Doctor? Or will you God do?

Calm down dear! It's nothing serious - you are simply suffering from an acute case of Post Reality Syndrome. There's a lot of it about these days...

Sorcery
Lemon Quarter

Postby Sorcery » April 27th, 2022, 1:24 pm

Leothebear wrote:Oh God, please help me, I have stumbled into an alternative reality. This seems something I have been doing a lot of lately. Should I see a Doctor? Or will you God do?

Perhaps you could explain, to the less perceptive of us, what you're on about?

I think I was pretty surprised by everything I quoted being presented as fact. The PO was privatised yes. The Blair government which followed did nothing to change this. The PO created the scandal without any outside help from government. Government did not aid a cover up of the scandal.
I would dispute the government wants to privatise the BBC, it would like as I understand it to scrap the BBC licence fee which unfairly makes one pay for something that might not be used.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » April 27th, 2022, 3:47 pm

Sorcery wrote:The PO was privatised yes. The Blair government which followed did nothing to change this. The PO created the scandal without any outside help from government. Government did not aid a cover up of the scandal. I would dispute the government wants to privatise the BBC, it would like as I understand it to scrap the BBC licence fee which unfairly makes one pay for something that might not be used.

Er..... no. Royal Mail was privatised, not the Post Office. The Post Office remains government owned.

The Post Office is owned by the government, through the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) and UK Government
Investments (UKGI), however, the Post Office Ltd Board has responsibility for the operations of the Post Office.

https://researchbriefings.files.parliam ... P-7550.pdf

The programme provided documents (heavily redacted in parts) to show that government officials attended meetings where the Post Office admitted to bugs and errors within the Horizon system. They were well aware of the facts and it was indeed a cover up. Did you watch it by any chance ?

Sorcery
Lemon Quarter

Postby Sorcery » April 27th, 2022, 7:45 pm

Redmires wrote:
Sorcery wrote:The PO was privatised yes. The Blair government which followed did nothing to change this. The PO created the scandal without any outside help from government. Government did not aid a cover up of the scandal. I would dispute the government wants to privatise the BBC, it would like as I understand it to scrap the BBC licence fee which unfairly makes one pay for something that might not be used.

Er..... no. Royal Mail was privatised, not the Post Office. The Post Office remains government owned.

The Post Office is owned by the government, through the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) and UK Government
Investments (UKGI), however, the Post Office Ltd Board has responsibility for the operations of the Post Office.

The programme provided documents (heavily redacted in parts) to show that government officials attended meetings where the Post Office admitted to bugs and errors within the Horizon system. They were well aware of the facts and it was indeed a cover up. Did you watch it by any chance ?

I'm afraid I did not watch it, so may have missed some salient fact, like the Post office and Royal Mail being separate entities. My objection was to the politicization of the scandal. Are you aware of which party was involved during 10 years of the ongoing scandal? And which party is now clearing up the mess? It was imv a total screw up by the post office board. When the accusations were flying around in the late 90s, I was working in a software developer capacity and said to my colleagues "that sounds like buggy software" not criminality. If I could guess that at the time as did the paper Computer Weekly later, the post office board should have shown a little more interest in the possibility.

SimonS
Lemon Slice

Postby SimonS » April 29th, 2022, 5:50 pm

Sorcery wrote:
Redmires wrote:

I'm afraid I did not watch it, so may have missed some salient fact, like the Post office and Royal Mail being separate entities. My objection was to the politicization of the scandal. Are you aware of which party was involved during 10 years of the ongoing scandal? And which party is now clearing up the mess? It was imv a total screw up by the post office board. When the accusations were flying around in the late 90s, I was working in a software developer capacity and said to my colleagues "that sounds like buggy software" not criminality. If I could guess that at the time as did the paper Computer Weekly later, the post office board should have shown a little more interest in the possibility.

Of course, one can philosophically reflect that " there should be laws" about organisations hiding the misdoings of its managers, something which seems prevalent these days and that the absence of such laws means the Government does have a hand, even if its a dead hand, in the matter.

After all, the danger and damage that such silence represents was, was recognised and codified some 2000 years ago "Thou shalt no bear false witness", witness also included the silence that codemns.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 11th, 2022, 10:33 am

Post Office and Fujitsu to face inquiry over Horizon scandal

BBC News

The public inquiry into the IT failings that led to the wrongful prosecution of hundreds of Post Office branch managers starts hearing evidence from other key witnesses this week.

"This new stage of the inquiry aims to uncover what was behind one of the most widespread miscarriages of justice in UK legal history.

No-one at the Post Office or Fujitsu has yet been held accountable.

The chair of the inquiry said he was "determined to expose the truth".
"

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 11th, 2022, 10:42 am

From the linked article above
"The statutory inquiry should "ensure something like this can never happen again" they added."

more like
The statutory inquiry should ensure the guilty get long sentences in prison
They ruined so many people's lives

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » October 11th, 2022, 1:52 pm

Hmm another few years to procrastinate. Will these people ever see justice?

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » October 11th, 2022, 10:44 pm

Er... No. But rest assured that lessons will be learnt.

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » October 12th, 2022, 8:28 am

Redmires wrote:Er... No. But rest assured that lessons will be learnt.

Not quite. "Lessons will be learnt" is an obligatory stock phrase used in situations like this.
Whether lessons will actually be learnt in practice is questionable.
doolally

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”