Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Seen in the Co-op...

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Seen in the Co-op...

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 28th, 2022, 1:55 pm

Lootman wrote:Fair enough, but there are also humane ways to rear and feed animals, and prepare them for consumption. So if the concern is moral rather than health, the solution isn't necessarily avoiding meat but simply being more selective about meat. isn't that what the whole "free range" movement is about?

"Free range" if applied to human prisoners would be considered an egregious violation of their human rights. With an exception for sheep on open moorland, any farm animal that gets a bit of space[1] is totally non-commercial.

didds wrote:clearly not to those vegans, (insofar as they exist in real life) who have a zero tolerance, black and white, binary approach AIUI. Its their call after all.

FTFY

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 28th, 2022, 2:04 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Lootman wrote:Fair enough, but there are also humane ways to rear and feed animals, and prepare them for consumption. So if the concern is moral rather than health, the solution isn't necessarily avoiding meat but simply being more selective about meat. isn't that what the whole "free range" movement is about?

"Free range" if applied to human prisoners would be considered an egregious violation of their human rights. With an exception for sheep on open moorland, any farm animal that gets a bit of space[1] is totally non-commercial.

Perhaps but then many of these animals and breeds would not even exist but for the human desire to consume them.

I was referring more to the fact that there is a wide range of how such animals are treated. At one extreme you have battery hens piled on top of each other. At the other extreme you have the Kobe cows in Japan which reputedly get massages, are sung to, and are fed beer. Where the treatment is on that scale should matter, and I would imagine that also informs the taste and texture.

Then there is game where the animals have an entirely free and natural life until they are caught or shot. For many fish too.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 28th, 2022, 2:36 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:clearly not to those vegans, (insofar as they exist in real life) who have a zero tolerance, black and white, binary approach AIUI. Its their call after all.

FTFY[/quote]

Not really. i've known/know several who follow this ethos. I bush whacked around the top end in Aus with one for several weeks where access to food easily was a stretch at times but his diet/lifestyle continued nonetheless.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 6th, 2022, 8:35 am

Meanwhile, in virtue-signalling Waitrose, even the sausages have freedom to roam. It took me bloody ages to round up a dozen of them.

BJ

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”