Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Tory MP apologises for suggesting the bleedin' obvious?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Tory MP apologises for suggesting the bleedin' obvious?

Postby stevensfo » April 30th, 2022, 8:40 pm

Sorry, this made me laugh so much, it couldn't possibly go on Current Affairs.

Teachers and nurses may prefer the occasional drink after work? No, whatever next?

As the relative of teachers and nurses, I know they had the occasional drink after work. They damned well deserved one as well!

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/fabricant-apo ... 24355.html

Isn't that Harry Enfield in a wig! 8-)

Steve

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: Tory MP apologises for suggesting the bleedin' obvious?

Postby kempiejon » April 30th, 2022, 9:09 pm

stevensfo wrote:Isn't that Harry Enfield in a wig!

John Sessions?

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » April 30th, 2022, 10:40 pm

kempiejon wrote:
stevensfo wrote:Isn't that Harry Enfield in a wig!

John Sessions?

Worzel Gummidge ?

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 4th, 2022, 4:53 pm

I cant speak for the entire NHS obviously, but my wife (therapist in a NHS hospital) scornfully laughed at the idea of NHS staff etc kicking back for a boozey drink together in the staff room etc, as doing so would be grounds for dismissal ie drinking alcohol on a hospital premises.

Other trusts may differ of course.

didds

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 4th, 2022, 7:17 pm

Just as in No 10 premises?

Dod

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 4th, 2022, 7:17 pm

didds wrote:I cant speak for the entire NHS obviously, but my wife (therapist in a NHS hospital) scornfully laughed at the idea of NHS staff etc kicking back for a boozey drink together in the staff room etc, as doing so would be grounds for dismissal ie drinking alcohol on a hospital premises.

They do. At the London Teaching Hospital where my wife works, there are regular events, fundraising and others, where drinks are served. It is fairly routine and I have attended a few myself.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 4th, 2022, 7:24 pm

Lootman wrote:They do. At the London Teaching Hospital where my wife works, there are regular events, fundraising and others, where drinks are served. It is fairly routine and I have attended a few myself.

Not quite the same picture as Fabricant's characterising of Partygate as "just like many teachers and nurses who after a very long shift would go back to the staff room and have a quiet drink".

Scott.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 4th, 2022, 7:36 pm

swill453 wrote:
Lootman wrote:They do. At the London Teaching Hospital where my wife works, there are regular events, fundraising and others, where drinks are served. It is fairly routine and I have attended a few myself.

Not quite the same picture as Fabricant's characterising of Partygate as "just like many teachers and nurses who after a very long shift would go back to the staff room and have a quiet drink".

This was a long time ago and so possibly not relevant. But I was with a friend of mine in Hampstead and he walked into a lamppost and cut his head. I took him to the A&E at the Royal Free. It took him a while to get seen to, so I wondered around the hospital. At some point I heard a lot of noise and happened upon a full blown nurses' drinks party. Being a spirited young man at the time I got down, and drank and danced with the best of them. Eventually my friend got stitched and bandaged up, and came looking for me, whereupon he found the party and joined in.

It happens. Or at least has happened.

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » May 4th, 2022, 11:20 pm

Lootman wrote:
swill453 wrote:

This was a long time ago and so possibly not relevant. But I was with a friend of mine in Hampstead and he walked into a lamppost and cut his head. I took him to the A&E at the Royal Free. It took him a while to get seen to, so I wondered around the hospital. At some point I heard a lot of noise and happened upon a full blown nurses' drinks party. Being a spirited young man at the time I got down, and drank and danced with the best of them. Eventually my friend got stitched and bandaged up, and came looking for me, whereupon he found the party and joined in.

But one presumes not during a pandemic?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 5th, 2022, 8:25 am

Spet0789 wrote:
Lootman wrote:
swill453 wrote:

But one presumes not during a pandemic?

No but I was addressing this claim that it never happens on pain of dismissal:

didds wrote:I cant speak for the entire NHS obviously, but my wife (therapist in a NHS hospital) scornfully laughed at the idea of NHS staff etc kicking back for a boozey drink together in the staff room etc, as doing so would be grounds for dismissal ie drinking alcohol on a hospital premises.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 5th, 2022, 10:42 am

Lootman wrote:No but I was addressing this claim that it never happens on pain of dismissal:

That first and last line clearly explains that my post was not "it never happens". You have deliberately misquoted.

For the avoidance of doubt and for repeated clarity

I cant speak for the entire NHS obviously,
Other trusts may differ of course

didds

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 5th, 2022, 11:18 am

didds wrote:
Lootman wrote:No but I was addressing this claim that it never happens on pain of dismissal:

That first and last line clearly explains that my post was not "it never happens". You have deliberately misquoted.

For the avoidance of doubt and for repeated clarity

I cant speak for the entire NHS obviously

I was not seeking to misrepresent you and regret it if you think I was so doing. I was simply responding to the idea that hospital staff can be fired for having alcohol on the premises. That may be true in some trusts I guess. But I know of at least two trusts where that is far from the case, and alcohol consumption by staff on hospital premises is common, as it is in many types of places of work of course.

Whether that happened during the restrictions is another matter, although personally I would be shocked if it never happened then.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » May 5th, 2022, 2:06 pm

Lootman wrote: . . . I was simply responding to the idea that hospital staff can be fired for having alcohol on the premises. That may be true in some trusts I guess. But I know of at least two trusts where that is far from the case, and alcohol consumption by staff on hospital premises is common, as it is in many types of places of work of course.

Whether that happened during the restrictions is another matter, although personally I would be shocked if it never happened then.

What do you mean by 'common' ? Most staff drink alcohol on hospital premises every day? Or they have a Christmas party once a year?

The impression that recent relavations about no 10 staff has given was that it seemed to be part of regular every day working (though that may be exaggerated/mistaken).

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 5th, 2022, 3:19 pm

Gersemi wrote:
Lootman wrote: . . . I was simply responding to the idea that hospital staff can be fired for having alcohol on the premises. That may be true in some trusts I guess. But I know of at least two trusts where that is far from the case, and alcohol consumption by staff on hospital premises is common, as it is in many types of places of work of course.

What do you mean by 'common' ? Most staff drink alcohol on hospital premises every day? Or they have a Christmas party once a year?

The impression that recent relevations about no 10 staff has given was that it seemed to be part of regular every day working (though that may be exaggerated/mistaken).

A few example that I have seen, other than an annual Christmas party, include impromptu drinks parties by the ward staff as previously described, sherry receptions after the board of governors meetings, drinks at promotions by drugs companies and "on the DL" slugs from hip flasks by the hospital porters.

I guess what I am really saying is that I do not see why NHS staff should be held to a different standard than City bankers, council office staff or, dare I say it, Tory and Labour politicians.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”