Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Wagatha Christie to end in tears

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Wagatha Christie to end in tears

Postby Lootman » May 10th, 2022, 7:50 pm

swill453 wrote:
Lootman wrote:Surely the Whatsapp messages are available at Facebook and can be released by a court order? The fact that a phone that was used to send or read those messages has gone missing doesn't affect that?

I thought Whatsapp used end-to-end encryption, meaning readable messages only exist on the sender and receivers phones (unless deleted or dropped in the sea).

I have no idea. But by definition there must be at least two phones with the messages. Maybe I dropped mine in the ocean, but what about yours?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 10th, 2022, 8:00 pm

Lootman wrote:
swill453 wrote:
Lootman wrote:Surely the Whatsapp messages are available at Facebook and can be released by a court order? The fact that a phone that was used to send or read those messages has gone missing doesn't affect that?

I thought Whatsapp used end-to-end encryption, meaning readable messages only exist on the sender and receivers phones (unless deleted or dropped in the sea).

I have no idea. But by definition there must be at least two phones with the messages. Maybe I dropped mine in the ocean, but what about yours?

Sorry, I haven't studied the case enough to know who sent messages to whom and why they may or may not exist any more.

Scott.

stockton
Lemon Slice

Postby stockton » May 10th, 2022, 10:15 pm

Beerpig wrote:Hey don't blame the lawyers for this going to court. The case was previously adjourned to enable the parties to mediate which is compulsory under the court rules. A lawyer's remit and duty is to advise what is best in their clients' interests and the vast majority of them do just this but at the end of the day they must act on their clients' instructions. I cannot see the court taking to either of these litigants and a nothing other than Pyrrhic victory awaits one of them. Yes, the lawyers will make a good living out of the case but as Stratfordian says, a fool and their money are easily parted.

It is entirely appropriate to blame the lawyers. Had they any technical competence they could almost certainly have persuaded both parties that Coleen Rooneys tweet was accurate and that they should be looking at who had access to the Instagram account.
Court time is supposedly valuable, and it is the lawyers who are wasting it.

Beerpig
Lemon Slice

Postby Beerpig » May 11th, 2022, 5:05 pm

Leicester City 100/30 Derby 2/11
Draw no bet

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » May 11th, 2022, 6:17 pm

I loved this exchange between David Sherborne (Rooney's brief) and Ms Vardy (FRP are Vardy's talent agency):

Mr Sherborne suggested Vardy was “the most important client at FRP”, but she replied: “No, to the best of my knowledge they had Ant Middleton.”

The barrister conceded he was not familiar with Mr Middleton, and Vardy told him: “He is a person who has, or had, a TV show called SAS Who Dares Wins.”

It reminds me of a late but unlamented High Court judge called Sir Jermiah Harman, known generally as `Harman the Horrible', who was notorious for his ignorance (possibly exaggerated for effect) of popular culture.

During a 1996 trial, Harman was asked if he had heard of Oasis. He responded: “I certainly have not heard of the band. I don’t listen to bands.” In other court hearings, Harman admitted to being blissfully unaware of Bruce Springsteen and UB40.

Elsewhere in a hearing that followed the 1990 World Cup, Harman refused an injunction request to halt an unauthorised biography of Paul Gascoigne being published, on the grounds that he was not famous enough.

When told that Gazza was actually incredibly well known, Harman responded, “Is he a rugby or association footballer?” before adding: “Isn’t there an operetta called La Gazza Ladra?”

They don't make 'em like that any more ;)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 11th, 2022, 6:37 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:I loved this exchange between David Sherborne (Rooney's brief) and Ms Vardy (FRP are Vardy's talent agency):

Mr Sherborne suggested Vardy was “the most important client at FRP”, but she replied: “No, to the best of my knowledge they had Ant Middleton.”

The barrister conceded he was not familiar with Mr Middleton, and Vardy told him: “He is a person who has, or had, a TV show called SAS Who Dares Wins.”

It reminds me of a late but unlamented High Court judge called Sir Jermiah Harman, known generally as `Harman the Horrible', who was notorious for his ignorance (possibly exaggerated for effect) of popular culture.

During a 1996 trial, Harman was asked if he had heard of Oasis. He responded: “I certainly have not heard of the band. I don’t listen to bands.” In other court hearings, Harman admitted to being blissfully unaware of Bruce Springsteen and UB40.

Elsewhere in a hearing that followed the 1990 World Cup, Harman refused an injunction request to halt an unauthorised biography of Paul Gascoigne being published, on the grounds that he was not famous enough.

When told that Gazza was actually incredibly well known, Harman responded, “Is he a rugby or association footballer?” before adding: “Isn’t there an operetta called La Gazza Ladra?”

They don't make 'em like that any more ;)

I vaguely recall there was some judge in the 1960s who was much derided for claiming that he had never heard of the Beatles.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » May 11th, 2022, 7:28 pm

This case has already had an explanation of what "FFS" stands for...

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » May 11th, 2022, 8:43 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:This case has already had an explanation of what "FFS" stands for...

And there was always this brilliant Rowan Atkinson skit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VgwxKW0J6I

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 11th, 2022, 9:20 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:They don't make 'em like that any more ;)

Doesn't the legendary ignorance of High Court Judges have a good reason?

I thought it was so that when a litigant mentioned a Celebrity, they should describe that celebrity, to give the court the best possible idea not just of who the celebrity is, but of who (s)he is to that litigant. Get some context for what's being said in court as relevant to the case.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » May 12th, 2022, 9:58 am

Beerpig wrote:I refer to the current trial at the High Court between two high profile wags both wives of ex-England football players.
Just my view but I think it is utterly pathetic when there's so much going on in the world (Ukraine). I mean I may be wrong but does anyone really care about the social media profile of two over pampered, over privileged individuals haemorrhaging their husbands' money on a load of vacuous tosh. The only people to benefit here are the lawyers. It will end in tears for the litigants for sure, mark my words.
A bit like the current Depp spat- I mean why is this in the news headlines every day? Who gives a monkeys about the allegations of a former partner of a has-been film actor?
Sheesh.
Still, the Wags will probably do what they do best and follow the money and to recover some of the millions thrown at this venture could easily make up in a blaze of publicity at the end of it all and then sell their stories to the media.
Mad world.

And yet here we are 29 posts into a thread that didn't need to be here in the first place.... Somebody is doing something right.... :D ;)

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » May 12th, 2022, 5:16 pm

The gift that keeps giving:

As proceedings got underway earlier today, the court was reminded that Mrs Vardy’s agent Caroline Watt said during an earlier preliminary hearing that her phone had fallen into the North Sea. Mr Sherborne, barrister for Mrs Rooney, remarked: ‘We know that Miss Watt’s phone is now in Davy Jones’ Locker, don’t we, Mrs Vardy?’ Mrs Vardy appeared confused and replied: ‘I’m sorry, I don’t know who Davy Jones is.’

Lead singer with the Monkees?

T7

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » May 12th, 2022, 6:49 pm

his locker is at the "bottom of the sea" :lol:

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”