Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Deep Thought.....retired! (Maybe).

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
monabri
Lemon Half

Deep Thought.....retired! (Maybe).

Postby monabri » June 12th, 2022, 1:51 pm

https://singularityhub.com/2022/06/07/a ... -years-on/

"A cleverly-designed quantum device developed by Xanadu, a company based in Toronto, Canada, obliterated conventional computers on a benchmark task that would otherwise take over 9,000 years. For the quantum chip Borealis, answers came within 36 microseconds."

I'm not so sure about the plural when it comes to "answers", maybe programmed by Vicky Pollard (" yeah, but no,but yeah"...clearly a case of Quantum thinking! ;) ).

Or maybe DT was a quantum computer too but still was a bit tardy in producing "the" answer ( to the question)?

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Re: Deep Thought.....retired! (Maybe).

Postby Clitheroekid » June 14th, 2022, 9:54 pm

A fascinating article - though I have to confess I didn't understand most of it.

But my simplistic mind immediately wondered whether one of these quantum computers could be used to mine Bitcoin - after all, if it can achieve a task in 36 microseconds that would take a conventional computer 9,000 years it could churn out Bitcoins in no time at all.

Though I suppose if it were possible the value of Bitcoin would drop even faster than it is now! ;)

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Deep Thought.....retired! (Maybe).

Postby DrFfybes » June 15th, 2022, 9:00 am

Clitheroekid wrote:A fascinating article - though I have to confess I didn't understand most of it.

But my simplistic mind immediately wondered whether one of these quantum computers could be used to mine Bitcoin - after all, if it can achieve a task in 36 microseconds that would take a conventional computer 9,000 years it could churn out Bitcoins in no time at all.

Though I suppose if it were possible the value of Bitcoin would drop even faster than it is now! ;)

INteresting concept, at what point would the value drop sufficiently to not make it worthwhile mining them?

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”