Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Bus journey in London, paying for

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Re: Bus journey in London, paying for

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 18th, 2022, 7:20 pm

All went off OK, the bus driver only growled at me slightly for not waving card in exactly the right spot. Luckily he was encased in a plastic bubble so couldn't punch me
I was pretty hot in London yesterday... luckily the trains were air-conditioned. Unluckily Ascot is on, so the train back in particular was carnage. What were some of those ladies thinking ? I had to avert my eyes...

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » June 19th, 2022, 12:20 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote: Unluckily Ascot is on, so the train back in particular was carnage. What were some of those ladies thinking ? I had to avert my eyes...

Would that be aspiring Lady Bracknells? Or is that another empty stereotype?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 19th, 2022, 12:23 pm

Well. a lot of them did get on at Bracknell...

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 19th, 2022, 12:25 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Unluckily Ascot is on, so the train back in particular was carnage. What were some of those ladies thinking ? I had to avert my eyes...

Isn't that one of the perks of the good weather :lol:

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 19th, 2022, 1:07 pm

mc2fool wrote:The other thing, that I recently found out in real life to my surprise, is that whereas the 60+ and Freedom Pass cards used to allow anytime travel on TfL services and 9.00/9.30am (depending on which line) onward travel on National Rail, in July 2020 they changed it so that those cards were no longer valid on TfL services during the morning peak period (04:30 to 09:00) Mon-Fri, and it is, as I recently discovered, still like that now despite the London Assembly calling for it to be lifted a year later.

So the 'Twirlys' * are back? (Sp?)

* "Am I too early? "

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 19th, 2022, 1:44 pm

mc2fool wrote:The other thing, that I recently found out in real life to my surprise, is that whereas the 60+ and Freedom Pass cards used to allow anytime travel on TfL services and 9.00/9.30am (depending on which line) onward travel on National Rail, in July 2020 they changed it so that those cards were no longer valid on TfL services during the morning peak period (04:30 to 09:00) Mon-Fri, and it is, as I recently discovered, still like that now despite the London Assembly calling for it to be lifted a year later.

Yep.. thanks for that Sadiq Khan :roll:

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » June 19th, 2022, 2:08 pm

XFool wrote:

* "Am I too early? "

Umm...don't get the reference, something I missed somewhere along the way? (Yes, I get Twirly is a contraction of Am I too early? but other than that... :?)

I guess the other thing that I'd never thought about ('cos I'm never usually up at that time!) is that 04:30 to 09:00 is considered a "peak" period ... maybe 07:30 to 09:00 ok, but 04:30?!?

I was at Westminster tube at 06:30ish on a normal weekday and it was deserted. After being refused entry at the turnstiles I showed a member of staff my Freedom Pass and said I thought it was usable at anytime on TfL services but she looked and showed me, on her tablet, a page giving the times it could be used. She even confirmed it on the blower with someone, but neither of them said "oh it used to be ok but not since mid 2020", I only found that out when I got home and did some googling....

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 19th, 2022, 2:33 pm

mc2fool wrote:
XFool wrote:

* "Am I too early? "

Umm...don't get the reference, something I missed somewhere along the way? (Yes, I get Twirly is a contraction of Am I too early? but other than that... :?)

Maybe it's an age thing... :)

A while ago now, when the age based London travel Freedom Pass first came in, it was similarly time restricted. It became well known that often enthusiastic older travellers would turn up at bus stops early in the morning, eager to set out on their travels with their Freedom Passes. The only problem being: "Am I too early? "

They became known as "Twirlys".

In the intervening age, after the time restriction was lifted, this seems to have been forgotten.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 20th, 2022, 12:23 am

XFool wrote:
mc2fool wrote:
XFool wrote:

* "Am I too early? "

Maybe it's an age thing... :)

A while ago now, when the age based London travel Freedom Pass first came in, it was similarly time restricted. It became well known that often enthusiastic older travellers would turn up at bus stops early in the morning, eager to set out on their travels with their Freedom Passes. The only problem being: "Am I too early? "

They became known as "Twirlys".

In the intervening age, after the time restriction was lifted, this seems to have been forgotten.

...and here I thought they were named for the motion of getting on and back off again (pole around which to twirl being optional)

So I've learned something

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”