Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

On this hot day - some useful advice

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

On this hot day - some useful advice

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 17th, 2022, 11:28 pm

1. Don't go tombstoning
  2. Turn the fire down a bit
  3. Keep the fly swatter within reach
  4. Keep all your cold meats in the fridge
  5. I know this may sound a little trite, but don't keep chocolate in your pockets
  6. If you do walk into town, take the bus
  7. If you feel it's getting too hot and you don't have a fan, try and remove your cardigan or jumper
  8. Open the freezer door - but make sure you take all the contents out first and put them on the BBQ. Make sure your BBQ is outside
  9. Put all the frozen peas from your freezer in a bucket and put your feet in
  10. Do not, and I mean this, do not, under any circumstances go into your loft space to check that your insulation has been fitted correctly
  11. Make sure you have a very large flannel in your bucket of peas. Put it on your forehead - the flannel!
  12. Don't fidget or move around a lot
  13. Watch Ice Station Zebra on the TV
  14. Do a paint it by numbers of a polar bear
Stay cool

AiY(D)

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Re: On this hot day - some useful advice

Postby CliffEdge » July 18th, 2022, 12:59 am

What's tomstoning?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 18th, 2022, 2:18 am

CliffEdge wrote:What's tomstoning?

It's for when Tom's been a very naughty boy

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » July 18th, 2022, 6:45 am

Have you copied that from a government website :D

I'd like to see some from the American side of the pond now. :shock:

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 18th, 2022, 8:44 am

The sheer volume of fuss the BBC have been making about this worries me. Yesterday and today I'd estimate perhaps 10% of the whole of BBC news programme output has been articles about extreme heat, some useful but most utterly banal.

Point being, what if temperatures don't get above 40c today or tomorrow? It will be yet another case of crying wolf. We normally get this with snow that doesn't never arrives, but now we might be getting it with excess heat too. Yesterday (Sunday) was originally forecast to be the first day of 40c extreme heat but here yesterday was cooler than Saturday, only getting up to 28c here according to my thermometer in the shade here under the massive grape vine.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 18th, 2022, 8:50 am

Mike4 wrote:The sheer volume of fuss the BBC have been making about this worries me. Yesterday and today I'd estimate perhaps 10% of the whole of BBC news programme output has been articles about extreme heat, some useful but most utterly banal.

Point being, what if temperatures don't get above 40c today or tomorrow? It will be yet another case of crying wolf. We normally get this with snow that doesn't never arrives, but now we might be getting it with excess heat too. Yesterday (Sunday) was originally forecast to be the first day of 40c extreme heat but here yesterday was cooler than Saturday, only getting up to 28c here according to my thermometer in the shade here under the massive grape vine.

Mike,

There's a strong possibility you're already showing signs of heat stroke :lol:. Irritability :lol: Fill the bath with water and sit in it for a good hour :shock:

Take a glass of something cold with you :)

AiY(D)

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 18th, 2022, 8:51 am

Mike4 wrote:The sheer volume of fuss the BBC have been making about this worries me. Yesterday and today I'd estimate perhaps 10% of the whole of BBC news programme output has been articles about extreme heat, some useful but most utterly banal.

I totally agree and think I said as much a couple of days ago. As I said then this is similar to named storms which mostly turn out to be a stiff breeze or give a couple of inches of snow.

Dod

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » July 18th, 2022, 8:53 am

If you have not noticed it's the same on ITV, C4, Sky News
doolally

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » July 18th, 2022, 8:59 am

Dear AIY. I think you may be turning into a southerner. Clearly number 11 should read "Put pack of frozen peas under flat cap".

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » July 18th, 2022, 9:12 am

servodude wrote:

Who is Tom?

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » July 18th, 2022, 9:21 am

CliffEdge wrote:
servodude wrote:

Who is Tom?

Tom Thomas.

Invented satellite navigation.

DM

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 18th, 2022, 9:25 am

dionaeamuscipula wrote:
CliffEdge wrote:
servodude wrote:

Who is Tom?

Tom Thomas.

DM

In comparison, my first thought was obviously crapper ;)

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » July 18th, 2022, 9:26 am

dionaeamuscipula wrote:
CliffEdge wrote:
servodude wrote:

Who is Tom?

Tom Thomas.

DM

Why should he be stoned in hot weather? Are those satellites causing the imaginary heatwave?
I'm gonna put on Iggy Pop now that should sort it.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » July 18th, 2022, 10:11 am

Maybe you haven't noticed as your are busy watching the news channels but standing outside my door everyday I noticed that the weather is normally wrong. It always too hot, too cold, too wet or to dry.

We need Goldilocks weather warnings for those limited occasions when its just right. 8 Sept 22 might be one of those days!

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 18th, 2022, 10:18 am

Gerry557 wrote:We need Goldilocks weather warnings for those limited occasions when its just right. 8 Sept 22 might be one of those days!

Does this count as a thwack here?

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » July 18th, 2022, 1:31 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:We need Goldilocks weather warnings for those limited occasions when its just right. 8 Sept 22 might be one of those days!

Does this count as a thwack here?

I thought we were supposed to be thwacking Tom?

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » July 18th, 2022, 3:53 pm

Gerry557 wrote:Maybe you haven't noticed as your are busy watching the news channels but standing outside my door everyday I noticed that the weather is normally wrong. It always too hot, too cold, too wet or to dry.

It's the same with Easter. It's either very early, early, late, or very late.

When was the last time you heard someone say, "Oooh I see Easter's right on time this year."

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 18th, 2022, 3:59 pm

simsqu wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:Maybe you haven't noticed as your are busy watching the news channels but standing outside my door everyday I noticed that the weather is normally wrong. It always too hot, too cold, too wet or to dry.

When was the last time you heard someone say, "Oooh I see Easter's right on time this year."

Oo and there's this recent invention, the once-in-a-lifetime "super-moon". We've had about five of them since they were invented in about 2018.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 18th, 2022, 4:04 pm

Mike4 wrote:
simsqu wrote:

Oo and there's this recent invention, the once-in-a-lifetime "super-moon". We've had about five of them since they were invented in about 2018.

You also have to remember that we Brits are obsessed with weather and talking about weather.

I know of no other nationality that goes on about weather as much as Brits and that includes people who live in countries with much more extreme climates. And in fact UK weather is not extreme at all - it almost never gets that hot or cold, and we rarely get monsoons, hurricanes, tornadoes, cyclones and other weather events that plague many parts of the world.

Sorry guys but this is just plain old British grumbling about the weather. Nothing to see here.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » July 18th, 2022, 4:18 pm

Lootman wrote:
I know of no other nationality that goes on about weather as much as Brits and that includes people who live in countries with much more extreme climates. And in fact UK weather is not extreme at all - it almost never gets that hot or cold, and we rarely get monsoons, hurricanes, tornadoes, cyclones and other weather events that plague many parts of the world.

Sorry guys but this is just plain old British grumbling about the weather. Nothing to see here.

Ha. Just looked at the Telegraph:

UK heatwave: Cars burst into flames and runway melts as England nears 43C record

:)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/07/18/met-office-weather-heatwave-warning-uk-schools-work/

RC

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”