Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

On this hot day - some useful advice

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: On this hot day - some useful advice

Postby Mike4 » July 18th, 2022, 4:36 pm

Well here, now, in Wiltshire, my garden (in the shade) thermometer reads 33c. I was working in Reading earlier and the outside temperature reading on my dashboard display (which generally gives very credible results) got up to 36c driving about in the town.

However, on leaving Reading on the A329(M), the dashboard display shot up to 40c for a few miles, BINGO! Then the reading subsided and fell steadily once I joined the M4 and headed back west, getting down to 33c as I left the M4 at the Hungerford exit.

The lowest I've ever seen the dashboard display is -12c.

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » July 18th, 2022, 5:40 pm

Cycled over to my local shops this afternoon for a few items. Didn't sweat a drop.
As soon as I entered the air-conditioned shop I seemed to spring a general leak, wherever I have skin. :o

In all seriousness, this heat is common in many, many places (e.g. I worked in Ohio and many summer days were like today). I guess the difference is that our infrastructure and expectations just aren't prepared for it.

As this thread is about useful advice, may I suggest enjoying a cool drink or a cup of tea, and enjoy the warm days whilst they last.

VRD

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 18th, 2022, 5:45 pm

vrdiver wrote:Cycled over to my local shops this afternoon for a few items. Didn't sweat a drop.
As soon as I entered the air-conditioned shop I seemed to spring a general leak, wherever I have skin. :o

In all seriousness, this heat is common in many, many places (e.g. I worked in Ohio and many summer days were like today). I guess the difference is that our infrastructure and expectations just aren't prepared for it.

As this thread is about useful advice, may I suggest enjoying a cool drink or a cup of tea, and enjoy the warm days whilst they last.

VRD

To be fair, things can feel qualitatively different. Equivalent heat is more bearable in a hot country, where it's the norm, compared to here.

Having said that, today has been a bit of a damp (or should that be dry?) squib given the warnings. Humidity well below what would make it really nasty at thirtysomething. Which is of course why your sweat never formed into a drop or a damp patch.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » July 18th, 2022, 5:52 pm

And why do they keep telling us to put on sunscreen? Does hot air make our skin more vulnerable to UV?

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » July 18th, 2022, 7:23 pm

simsqu wrote:
It's the same with Easter. It's either very early, early, late, or very late.

When was the last time you heard someone say, "Oooh I see Easter's right on time this year."

About 36AD

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 18th, 2022, 8:12 pm

Mike4 wrote:
simsqu wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:Maybe you haven't noticed as your are busy watching the news channels but standing outside my door everyday I noticed that the weather is normally wrong. It always too hot, too cold, too wet or to dry.

It's the same with Easter. It's either very early, early, late, or very late.

When was the last time you heard someone say, "Oooh I see Easter's right on time this year."

Oo and there's this recent invention, the once-in-a-lifetime "super-moon". We've had about five of them since they were invented in about 2018.

You beat me to it!

Nowadays it's either a big moon, or a very big moon, or an exceptionally large moon. Or it's called something funny like rabbit, dog, wolf or aardvark. Or it's eclipsed. We just had moons in my day.

SteelCamel
2 Lemon pips

Postby SteelCamel » July 18th, 2022, 9:24 pm

MrFoolish wrote:And why do they keep telling us to put on sunscreen? Does hot air make our skin more vulnerable to UV?

Yes. Hot air tends to make people take off clothes, and uncovering your skin certainly makes it more vulnerable to UV. If you go out in a short-sleeved shirt - or a swimsuit - having been covered for the last year, you'll burn pretty quick.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » July 18th, 2022, 9:26 pm

SteelCamel wrote:Yes. Hot air tends to make people take off clothes

I thought it was alcohol that does that.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » July 18th, 2022, 10:56 pm

Newsnight has just wheeled out Michael Fish!

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 18th, 2022, 11:05 pm

There will be two suns in the sky tomorrow. It will be hot.

Additional advice gathered from feedback today.

1. Wear shorts - but not those flowery ones, they attract bees and flies
2. Don't wear today's boxer shorts ever again - burn them
3. Opening windows is discouraged. Just knock a few external walls down, preferably tonight whilst it's cooler
4. Drink lots of cold water. Put ice in it. After 10am feel free to disinfect it with brandy or whisky or anything 40% proof
5. Fill a bucket with cold water. Put your feet in it. Google Archimedes before you do.
6. Fill your freezer with cold water bottles
7. Buy a waterproof laptop and sit in a cold shower for the day.

Your health is in your hands :oops: , respect the heat and stay cool.

AiY(D)

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » July 18th, 2022, 11:08 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
  1. Don't go tombstoning
  2. Turn the fire down a bit
  3. Keep the fly swatter within reach
  4. Keep all your cold meats in the fridge
  5. I know this may sound a little trite, but don't keep chocolate in your pockets
  6. If you do walk into town, take the bus
  7. If you feel it's getting too hot and you don't have a fan, try and remove your cardigan or jumper
  8. Open the freezer door - but make sure you take all the contents out first and put them on the BBQ. Make sure your BBQ is outside
  9. Put all the frozen peas from your freezer in a bucket and put your feet in
  10. Do not, and I mean this, do not, under any circumstances go into your loft space to check that your insulation has been fitted correctly
  11. Make sure you have a very large flannel in your bucket of peas. Put it on your forehead - the flannel!
  12. Don't fidget or move around a lot
  13. Watch Ice Station Zebra on the TV
  14. Do a paint it by numbers of a polar bear
Stay cool

AiY(D)

15. If AiY invites you around for dinner, DON'T EAT THE PEAS!!!

Julian F. G. W.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 18th, 2022, 11:10 pm

jfgw wrote:15. If AiY invites you around for dinner, DON'T EAT THE PEAS!!!

Julian F. G. W.

:lol:

AiY(D)

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 19th, 2022, 8:45 am

East Riding of Yorkshire. 8.35am - 27 degrees :shock:

AiY(D)

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 19th, 2022, 6:57 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:East Riding of Yorkshire. 8.35am - 27 degrees :shock:

AiY(D)

We managed a very cool 39 degrees at 4pm this afternoon.

The bit I will enjoy most is sleeping in the car tonight with the air conditioning on. When my feet turn blue I'll turn it off 8-)

AiY(D)

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 19th, 2022, 8:04 pm

Gerry557 wrote:Have you copied that from a government website :D

Probably... No.2 could only come from a clueless committee

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » July 19th, 2022, 8:11 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:The bit I will enjoy most is sleeping in the car tonight with the air conditioning on. When my feet turn blue I'll turn it off 8-)
AiY(D)

Ah, so you're the culprit! Running the engine to keep the aircon going, generating CO2 which creates climate change which creates all this heat.

--kiloran :lol:

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 19th, 2022, 8:20 pm

kiloran wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:The bit I will enjoy most is sleeping in the car tonight with the air conditioning on. When my feet turn blue I'll turn it off 8-)
AiY(D)

Ah, so you're the culprit! Running the engine to keep the aircon going, generating CO2 which creates climate change which creates all this heat.

It's a real thing. A friend of mine takes the bus to work every morning and, in the winter, waits for the bus in her car with the engine running and the heater on. Only when she sees the bus coming does she get out of the car and walk the few steps to the bus stop. She makes a point of parking right next to the bus stop for this express purpose even though the bus stop is only a short walk from her home.

I feel sure that in Arizona people use the air-con in their cars to escape the heat.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » July 19th, 2022, 9:02 pm

kiloran wrote:
AiY(D)

I don't pay tax on my car as it's "low emission" :P - I was a good boy and bought one which didn't have the emissions chip tampered with. But the Governments scientists didn't count Nox back then :roll:

It's cooling down here now - forecast a meager 24 degrees tomorrow. I'll have to get me tank top back out.

AiY(D)

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 19th, 2022, 10:26 pm

Lootman wrote:It's a real thing. A friend of mine takes the bus to work every morning and, in the winter, waits for the bus in her car with the engine running and the heater on. Only when she sees the bus coming does she get out of the car and walk the few steps to the bus stop. She makes a point of parking right next to the bus stop for this express purpose even though the bus stop is only a short walk from her home.

No offence Lootman, there are some proper idiots around
That has to be true, you couldn't make up anything so dumb :lol:

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 19th, 2022, 10:27 pm

pje16 wrote:
Lootman wrote:It's a real thing. A friend of mine takes the bus to work every morning and, in the winter, waits for the bus in her car with the engine running and the heater on. Only when she sees the bus coming does she get out of the car and walk the few steps to the bus stop. She makes a point of parking right next to the bus stop for this express purpose even though the bus stop is only a short walk from her home.

No offence Lootman, there are some proper idiots around.

That has to be true, you couldn't make up anything so dumb :lol:

She's a lawyer, if that helps. :D

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”