Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

getting into shape

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

getting into shape

Postby Leothebear » July 30th, 2022, 10:48 am

The bout of Covid I had a few months ago left a prolonged feeling of lethargy. Or maybe it's my age. Whatever, despite having lost 20lbs or so I have been procrastinating about getting regular excercise. This is inexcusable really because I have a some great walks right on my doorstep.

Finally I got sufficiently motivated to try a relatively easy walk - about 3 miles, not flat but not hilly. Armed with my phone with the emergency services on speed dial, I set off.

I was pleasantly surprised when I found the walk easy and feeling far more confident, decided on the next step up.

A longer walk with the first 30 minutes up a serious incline. Then 20 minutes along the top and then 25 minutes on the descent.
Here I got found out. Had to stop on 2 occasions. I was knackered when I finally got to the top but the flat terrain soon saw me recovered and started to enjoy myself. I was amazed how overgrown the path was and a machette would have been useful. However I floated along buzzing.

I felt good when I started the descent. This starts with a very narrow path bordered on my left by a barbed wire fenced off meadow with stunning views. On my right was thick bushy undergrowth.

It was the view that tricked me. I was enjoying that when I stepped on a small rock, twisted my ankle and stumbled forward. The stumble became a run which I couldn't stop because of the incline. I had four choices:

1. Run along the path until something stopped me - like a tree (not good).
2. Hit the path now (not much better)
3. Collide into the fence (there will be blood)
4. Crash into the bush on my right and risk whatever was there.

I chose 4. It worked well. I stopped quickly. I didn't break anything. However my legs were scatched to buggery. Shaken but unhurt (scratches - pah!) I got up and vowed to watch the path and not the view.
The rest of the descent was thankfully uneventful.

At home I showered and relaxed. Then I noticed my ankle hurt and worsened until I could hardly walk. I also noticed my forearm was completely swollen and itching like crazy, an insect bite or poisonous plant? Who knows? Bag of frozen peas for the ankle and Savlon for the arm I was confined to the sofa for some time. Cold beer helped.

It's now three days later - ankle is fine but my arm still swollen and itching.

Wiser and a week older I shall attempt the same walk but with long trousers, something with long sleeves and possibly a stick. I'd really like a machette as well but they're not easy to get hold of.
Leo

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: getting into shape

Postby kiloran » July 30th, 2022, 11:00 am

I thought this was going to become a Snorvey-esque tale, but all we got was a few scratches, sore ankle and swollen arm.
Must try harder! :lol:

--kiloran

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 30th, 2022, 11:05 am

I'll give you a bit of sympathy
No-one wants to do a "snorvey"
Well done for getting out and about
Work on "putting the brakes on" next time

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 30th, 2022, 11:38 am

Hope your ankle does better than mine.

It's just a week or two short of the anniversary of my sprain, and though in general the pain is long gone, I still get occasional twinges (usually coming downstairs or downhill) and it's not as nimble as it should be.

Don't let it put you off enjoying the Great Outdoors.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » July 30th, 2022, 11:51 am

Leothebear wrote:I'd really like a machette as well but they're not easy to get hold of.
Leo

Not as difficult as you think.
https://heinnie.com/tramontina-machete

I have bought a number if items from Hiennie over the years and their service is excellent.

Amazon also do Billhook's and other implements of destruction, should you be serious about clearing a path. This one could double as a walking staff.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spear-Jackson- ... 27&sr=8-15

That said, carrying such items in public can cause questions to be asked. It's not illegal if you have a "good" reason to carry such an item. By good I mean one that will stand up in court. I suggest reading section 139 of 1988 criminal justice act.

A good idea might be to find out if there are any walking groups in the area and suggest an expedition to maintain the path. With that purpose in mind then tools to achieve the aim are obviously needed. Having organized that, then it would be difficult for someone to later argue that the tools were in fact being carried for nefarious purposes.

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » July 31st, 2022, 10:44 am

Getting into shape? Round is a shape.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 31st, 2022, 12:15 pm

Leothebear wrote:The bout of Covid I had a few months ago left a prolonged feeling of lethargy. Or maybe it's my age. Whatever, despite having lost 20lbs or so I have been procrastinating about getting regular excercise. This is inexcusable really because I have a some great walks right on my doorstep.

Finally I got sufficiently motivated to try a relatively easy walk - about 3 miles, not flat but not hilly. Armed with my phone with the emergency services on speed dial, I set off.

I was pleasantly surprised when I found the walk easy and feeling far more confident, decided on the next step up.

A longer walk with the first 30 minutes up a serious incline. Then 20 minutes along the top and then 25 minutes on the descent.
Here I got found out. Had to stop on 2 occasions. I was knackered when I finally got to the top but the flat terrain soon saw me recovered and started to enjoy myself. I was amazed how overgrown the path was and a machette would have been useful. However I floated along buzzing.

I felt good when I started the descent. This starts with a very narrow path bordered on my left by a barbed wire fenced off meadow with stunning views. On my right was thick bushy undergrowth.

It was the view that tricked me. I was enjoying that when I stepped on a small rock, twisted my ankle and stumbled forward. The stumble became a run which I couldn't stop because of the incline. I had four choices:

1. Run along the path until something stopped me - like a tree (not good).
2. Hit the path now (not much better)
3. Collide into the fence (there will be blood)
4. Crash into the bush on my right and risk whatever was there.

I chose 4. It worked well. I stopped quickly. I didn't break anything. However my legs were scatched to buggery. Shaken but unhurt (scratches - pah!) I got up and vowed to watch the path and not the view.
The rest of the descent was thankfully uneventful.

At home I showered and relaxed. Then I noticed my ankle hurt and worsened until I could hardly walk. I also noticed my forearm was completely swollen and itching like crazy, an insect bite or poisonous plant? Who knows? Bag of frozen peas for the ankle and Savlon for the arm I was confined to the sofa for some time. Cold beer helped.

It's now three days later - ankle is fine but my arm still swollen and itching.

Wiser and a week older I shall attempt the same walk but with long trousers, something with long sleeves and possibly a stick. I'd really like a machette as well but they're not easy to get hold of.
Leo

Were you wearing walking boots? That is to me more important than anything else. They will most likely stop you tripping on a rock in the first place and will almost certainly save your ankle. It is also a good idea to watch where you put your feet if the ground is uneven. I never bother with walking poles.

Dod

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » July 31st, 2022, 5:37 pm

Were you wearing walking boots? That is to me more important than anything else. They will most likely stop you tripping on a rock in the first place and will almost certainly save your ankle. It is also a good idea to watch where you put your feet if the ground is uneven. I never bother with walking poles.

You have a point. I was wearing Merrell walking shoes.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 31st, 2022, 5:53 pm

Dod101 wrote:Were you wearing walking boots? That is to me more important than anything else. They will most likely stop you tripping on a rock in the first place and will almost certainly save your ankle. It is also a good idea to watch where you put your feet if the ground is uneven. I never bother with walking poles.

Dod

I've found walking boots that "support" very hazardous in some circumstances. A simple misstep that you'd ordinarily recover from without trouble becomes a possibly-catastrophic fall when the boot prevents the ankle flexing adequately.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 31st, 2022, 8:09 pm

That's interesting. I nearly always wear boots but then I am not often on completely barren territory. Usually a path of some sort. I find them more comfortable than walking shoes and they usually have a better grip.

Dod

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”