Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Make Do and Mend Thwarted by New Technology...grrrr

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

Make Do and Mend Thwarted by New Technology...grrrr

Postby WrenChasen » August 1st, 2022, 2:40 pm

I watch television programmes as they're broadcast about as often as I tune in to ITV, i.e., very rarely, so when I messed up recording last week's Murder in Provence I attempted to watch it via the ITV hub on my trusty Humax box but instead got a message basically saying my box is now too old to be supported by the hub. Google found this:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2 ... v-hub.html

Seething doesn't cover it: I don't subscribe to the throw away society and am almost offended when something becomes incapable of being economically repaired. The box works perfectly well with all the other stations and it definitely 'ain't broke' so it's not getting replaced with a younger model any time soon.

I've no problem with embracing new technology, or anything new for that matter, but I can't see the point of replacing stuff just for the sake of it. I'd rather go on holiday.

Is it just me? 8-)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Make Do and Mend Thwarted by New Technology...grrrr

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 1st, 2022, 3:07 pm

This is the kind of thing that motivates the "right to repair", a phrase you could google for more discussion including new laws.

It's also one of the driving forces behind Open Source: Free Software as a movement goes back to when Richard Stallman was famously confronted with an expensive piece of technology that needed modification to meet his needs. If you have the source code then you know you can update it yourself. Or get it done for you, whether by hiring someone or by joining a community of like-minded folks with similar needs.

Indeed, openness in general is your friend. Without it, you're always at risk of finding something you rely on to be unsupported and stop working.

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » August 1st, 2022, 3:11 pm

While I understand your frustration, can I offer you some consolation in telling you that Murder in Provence was, in fact, rubbish.

Script: rubbish.
Acting: facile, shallow and stilted.
Plot: practically non-existent
Plot twists: zero
Scenery: Meh

You really didn't miss anything, except watching English actors having to rather uncomfortably kiss each other in greeting all the time, rather than a good, old-fashioned handshake, which was clearly what they wanted to do

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » August 1st, 2022, 5:02 pm

Simsqu it was NOT rubbish. OH and I thoroughly enjoyed it, having spent many great holidays in the area added to the pleasure. Mind you Roger Allum could read out his shopping list for all I care, he's got one of those drowning in melted chocolate voices mmmmmmmmm. Mind you, I don't for a moment suppose that he would appeal to you, voice or otherwise :)

R6

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 1st, 2022, 5:55 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Simsqu it was NOT rubbish. OH and I thoroughly enjoyed it, having spent many great holidays in the area added to the pleasure. Mind you Roger Allum could read out his shopping list for all I care, he's got one of those drowning in melted chocolate voices mmmmmmmmm. Mind you, I don't for a moment suppose that he would appeal to you, voice or otherwise :)

R6

Aren't he and Joanna Lumley everyone's favourite couple?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 1st, 2022, 5:56 pm

WrenChasen wrote:
I watch television programmes as they're broadcast about as often as I tune in to ITV, i.e., very rarely, so when I messed up recording last week's Murder in Provence I attempted to watch it via the ITV hub on my trusty Humax box but instead got a message basically saying my box is now too old to be supported by the hub.

I'm only mentioning this just in case you're not aware, but if you're still wanting to watch the third episode of Murder in Provence, you can do so by signing up for a free online account with the ITV Hub link below, and using any PC or tablet with a web-browser and a screen to watch it -

https://www.itv.com/hub/murder-in-provence/10a1883a0003

Lots of PC's and tablets now have HDMI-out capability that should allow you to plug into your TV in a similar way to your Humax box, so this might give you some additional options now and in the future if this is the case.

I should add that I do share your frustration regarding this type of 'feature obsolescence' that seems to affect more and more hardware really quite quickly nowadays, and this was one of the reasons that even though I own a Smart TV, I installed a small and quiet PC behind our main TV many years ago now, connected via a HDMI cable, just to enable me to enjoy a much longer shelf-life with these types of things, rather than rely on non-PC hardware to retain these types of useful features...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » August 1st, 2022, 6:36 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:

Absolutely. For those poor souls who have never come across 'Conversations From a Long Marriage' then here's a link to the best comedy on radio (or TV).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000dp ... des/player

PS. Both my Panasonic TV and old Humax stopped supporting Iplayer. I reluctantly bought a new TV (LG OLED) and it was the best buy I've made for a long time. Brilliant picture.

WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

Postby WrenChasen » August 1st, 2022, 8:13 pm

Redmires wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

I've always liked him as an actor, but Roger Allam's role as Antoine Verlaque in the first episode of MiP elevated him still further in my opinion - there's something very appealing about a man who can cook (IMO)...and yes, I know he was acting. ;)

For those poor souls who have never come across 'Conversations From a Long Marriage' then here's a link to the best comedy on radio (or TV).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000dp ... des/player

Me. I'll follow your link. Thank you.

Both my Panasonic TV and old Humax stopped supporting Iplayer. I reluctantly bought a new TV (LG OLED) and it was the best buy I've made for a long time. Brilliant picture.

My 20-year-old Sony Bravia still has a great picture and works well with the first generation Humax box, ITV Hub excepted, but I know the day will come when I'll have to pit my wits against some sharp TV salesman trying to blind me with sales talk disguised as knowledge.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » August 1st, 2022, 8:29 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:... he's got one of those drowning in melted chocolate voices mmmmmmmmm

Slightly off-thread, but was the voice of the late Derek Cooper (of The Food Programme) even mmmmier?

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » August 1st, 2022, 10:35 pm

WrenChasen wrote:My 20-year-old Sony Bravia still has a great picture and works well with the first generation Humax box, ITV Hub excepted, but I know the day will come when I'll have to pit my wits against some sharp TV salesman trying to blind me with sales talk disguised as knowledge.

On of the other benefits was the reduced power consumption. The old Panasonic plasma was rated at 350w. The new LG is around 100w. It will pay for itself within a few years :)

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Postby simsqu » August 2nd, 2022, 5:54 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Simsqu it was NOT rubbish. OH and I thoroughly enjoyed it, having spent many great holidays in the area added to the pleasure. Mind you Roger Allum could read out his shopping list for all I care, he's got one of those drowning in melted chocolate voices mmmmmmmmm. Mind you, I don't for a moment suppose that he would appeal to you, voice or otherwise :)

R6

Well no argument there Rhyd6. Roger is GORGEOUS. Except for the acting, and the embarrassingly awkward kissing

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » August 3rd, 2022, 1:09 pm

A very big thankyou to UE for his link to "Conversations from a Long Marriage". Listened to the first episode whilst we had lunch, we couldn't stop laughing because it is so true to life. Thanks once again, I can see us enjoying our lunch times for quite some time to come as we catch up on all previous series.

R6

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”