Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Who's having a great week?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Who's having a great week?

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 3rd, 2022, 3:36 pm

That other thread need a balance. I'm having a great week, thank you. Well, apart from the crop of insect bites: not least, horsefly season.

Within the past week I've performed at one event and just last night went (as audience) to a truly stunning performance of one of our greatest works. And looking forward to this next Saturday, not to mention next Monday ...

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Who's having a great week?

Postby pje16 » August 3rd, 2022, 3:42 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Within the past week I've performed at one event

I'm impressed.... very much
My week's fine (just felt a bit dicky this morning) nothing special, but I'm a glass half full type, so all is fine now

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 3rd, 2022, 6:25 pm

pje16 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Within the past week I've performed at one event

I'm impressed.... very much
My week's fine (just felt a bit dicky this morning) nothing special, but I'm a glass half full type, so all is fine now

Um, impressed? Could that be the wrong end of a stick?

The choir I sang with in that event was like many, up and down the country. The music was pretty straightforward. You probably know people who sing in similar.

Why is it that noone else admits to having a Good Week (taking your "fine" as neither better nor worse than usual), when the Bad Week thread collects MeToo comments - like yours about a bout of something? Is it something about the Human (or Foolish) condition?

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 3rd, 2022, 6:35 pm

Oh I saw a picture a of band an thought you must be in that - sorry
I know one woman who sings in choir
I just have an badly upset stomach, but if it much better now that it was first thing

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » August 4th, 2022, 8:33 am

Why is it that noone else admits to having a Good Week (taking your "fine" as neither better nor worse than usual), when the Bad Week thread collects MeToo comments - like yours about a bout of something? Is it something about the Human (or Foolish) condition?

Maybe it's a British thing. We can feel smug and relieved (that it's them not us) when hearing other's bad news.

I think it was Noel Coward who said (something like) "There's a certain pleasure to be had in the misfortune of one's friends."

I'm sure it's different in the US.

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » August 4th, 2022, 8:46 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:Why is it that noone else admits to having a Good Week (taking your "fine" as neither better nor worse than usual), when the Bad Week thread collects MeToo comments - like yours about a bout of something? Is it something about the Human (or Foolish) condition?

I think it's just human nature. It's easier to make a smart-arse comment about something bad rather than something good. It's a bit like the Monty Python Four Yorkshiremen sketch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE
doolally

AndyPandy
Lemon Slice

Postby AndyPandy » August 7th, 2022, 12:55 pm

OK, so there is no way I can post this without revealing my offline identity, but hey ho, I think it's worth it.

My daughter is a pretty good swimmer. Pre-COVID she swam as part of the British Swimming team. COVID stuffed up pool access, her mojo and her times. She never really got all of that back.

A year ago she was invited to a paratriathlon tryout. Last weekend she picked up a Commonwealth Gold in Birmingham.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/commonwealth-games/62369696

Yesterday she followed up with a World series silver in Swansea

https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-news/e ... -interview

https://www.220triathlon.com/news/dave- ... n-paratri/

Not bad since all this happened in the last 12 months. So yes, I've had a pretty good week, both directly and by osmosis.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Postby brightncheerful » August 8th, 2022, 2:43 pm

My great week ended on Sunday morning last when during our regular walk with puppy Mrs Bnc rejected my suggestion of a different path along the way. That would not have been anything to write about had it not been for her decision further along the way to take a slight detour which, as a consequence of turning back when puppy wanted her own way resulted in Mrs Bnc tripping over a small hole in the grass and falling onto the ground. Having returned home her foot in pain, all Sunday afternoon, all today and likely tomorrow and perhaps next day too Mrs Bnc is out of action, unable to walk downstairs let alone go about her normal day, yours truly taking her an ice compress every 20 minutes at two hour intervals -the time has just sounded, she will have to wait - to help reduce the swelling, having to look after puppy for dinner and breakfast as well as running my business - as for having any time for myself.

It is already challenging enough, as i tell Mrs Bnc, that we elderlies have taken on the bringing up of a-high energy puppy and all that that entails (excuse the pun) without Mrs Bnc being out of action for days.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”