Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Smart meter not communicating

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
chas49
Lemon Quarter

Re: Smart meter not communicating

Postby chas49 » February 20th, 2023, 4:30 pm

Moderator Message:
This useful thread is now off-topic for DAK so I'll rehome it in the Snug so the discussion can continue (chas49)

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 14th, 2023, 1:06 pm

where is the snug?

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » March 14th, 2023, 1:44 pm

Bouleversee wrote:where is the snug?

Here, Bouleversee: viewforum.php?f=29

Watis

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 14th, 2023, 2:36 pm

Thank you.

I never did get time to read the tutorial on my IHD so still don't know whether a fully operationsl IHD shows red or orange when gas is being burnedt. Mine only indicates when electricity is being used. Can anyone enlighten me?

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » March 14th, 2023, 2:50 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Thank you.

I never did get time to read the tutorial on my IHD so still don't know whether a fully operationsl IHD shows red or orange when gas is being burnedt. Mine only indicates when electricity is being used. Can anyone enlighten me?

I don't think the colours relate to gas usage, only to electricity. Smart meter IHDs get real time information about electricity usage but gas usage is only updated every 30 minutes or so. This is because it relies on a battery, and to ensure it has a reasonable life it doesn't continuously transmit usage.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 14th, 2023, 3:31 pm

Many thanks, Staff, though I don't quite follow, my ancient brain having gone on strike . I have had an electric heater on more or less continuously for the past couple of days as my gas boiler is out of commission whereas gas has only been used for brief periods while cooking. Which piece of equipment relies on a battery? However, if what you say is correct, which I am sure will be the case, it looks as though my smart meter and IHD are working correctly though I was somewhat mystified by the fact on the website the billing dates were ahead of the reading dates. My bills are horrendous even though I have only been heating half the house, and often not even that in the middle of the day. How does one know whether the meter is accurate?

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 14th, 2023, 3:51 pm

Sorry to say that an electric heater on more or less continuously will whack your bill up

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 14th, 2023, 4:15 pm

I know that PJE but what can I do if the boiler has had to be switched off and I can't get anyone to take on sorting out the problems? I am wearing 4 sweaters and on milder days don't have any heating on at times but my medical situation requires me to keep warm. It is very expensive when I am just using gas, anyway. I finally managed to get a gas fire to ignite this afternoon but I think most of the heat goes up the chimney.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 14th, 2023, 4:28 pm

https://www.warmhouseservices.com/
you are not that further way from them than me
they have a form on their website
it doesn't hurt to ask
they have serviced my boiler for over 10 years
good luck

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » March 14th, 2023, 4:38 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Which piece of equipment relies on a battery?

The smart gas meter has a battery which powers the device which sends the gas readings every half hour or so to the IHD via the electricity meter.

As I understand it, there is a communication device which is part of the smart electricity meter, powered, of course, by the electricity supply so it is always live.

The gas meter sends data to this, and from there both gas readings (half hourly) and continuous electricity readings are sent to your IHD. The power company uses a slightly different method, but essentially 'dials in' to the smart electricity meter daily to get both the gas and electricity readings.

Does this make sense?

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 14th, 2023, 4:49 pm

pje16 wrote:https://www.warmhouseservices.com/
it doesn't hurt to ask
good luck

Thanks, but it looks like they are in Waltham Abbey, Essex which is nowhere near me. I'm in Bucks. I've just been in touch with something called Boiler Guide who are an introductory service. I think they just contact Gas Safe engineers in one's local area and ask if they are interested in the job which will presumably bump up the price. I've already been in touch with some of those myself and they haven't been interested; too complicated for them.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » March 14th, 2023, 5:01 pm

staffordian wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:Which piece of equipment relies on a battery?

The smart gas meter has a battery which powers the device which sends the gas readings every half hour or so to the IHD via the electricity meter.

As I understand it, there is a communication device which is part of the smart electricity meter, powered, of course, by the electricity supply so it is always live.

The gas meter sends data to this, and from there both gas readings (half hourly) and continuous electricity readings are sent to your IHD. The power company uses a slightly different method, but essentially 'dials in' to the smart electricity meter daily to get both the gas and electricity readings.

Does this make sense?

It does indeed now, thanks. It does make the IHD rather pointless, however. I'd like to know which is cheaper: running a gas fire with most of the heat going up the chimney, an electric fan heater, an oil filled radiator or a Dimplex convector heater to heat whichever room I am in, and how any of those compare with heating all the rooms, subject to trvs, to heat the whole house or the half I actually live in on a daily basis. Life is too short, however, to try to monitor that without a device that does it all for me. I don't need a light to change colour every time I put the kettle in with no more water in it than I need immediately.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 14th, 2023, 5:04 pm

Bouleversee wrote:
pje16 wrote:https://www.warmhouseservices.com/
it doesn't hurt to ask
good luck

Thanks, but it looks like they are in Waltham Abbey, Essex which is nowhere near me. I'm in Bucks. I've just been in touch with something called Boiler Guide who are an introductory service. I think they just contact Gas Safe engineers in one's local area and ask if they are interested in the job which will presumably bump up the price. I've already been in touch with some of those myself and they haven't been interested; too complicated for them.

I knew where you are from PM ages ago.
They come to me but yours is a bit further out
have you tried
https://www.checkatrade.com/

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”