Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown, for Donating to support the site

Gift for newborn baby girl

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Gift for newborn baby girl

Postby WickedLester » February 27th, 2023, 6:56 pm

I didn't know where the most appropriate place to post this was so I'm trying it out here.

A friend of mine's daughter has just had a baby and it is my friend's first grandchild. I wanted to get a small gift for the baby as I am also friendly with the mother but I've no idea what to get.

Can anyone tell me what is a good gift for a newborn baby girl?

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: Gift for newborn baby girl

Postby kempiejon » February 27th, 2023, 6:58 pm

I guess she drinks milk?

Nah, can't help.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » February 27th, 2023, 7:49 pm

WickedLester wrote:

£100 of gold coins and a framed copy of Bill Bonners Dow/Gold trading strategy?

https://www.bullionvault.com/gold-news/ ... -122020181

She'll be thanking you in 2100.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 27th, 2023, 8:03 pm

WickedLester wrote:I didn't know where the most appropriate place to post this was so I'm trying it out here.

A friend of mine's daughter has just had a baby and it is my friend's first grandchild. I wanted to get a small gift for the baby as I am also friendly with the mother but I've no idea what to get.

I'd suggest a gift voucher or simply ask her what she would like and buy it.

AiY(D)

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 27th, 2023, 8:52 pm

I suppose my thoughts are along the lines of...

* anything like clothing and she will have grown out of it in a very few weeks. But if the parents want that of course to help them along :-)
* anything traditional like a silver spoon will just sit in a drawer for decades and probably get lost after a few moves.
* bonds/money etc wont get cashed in likely for some while - and may well suffer the ravishes of inflation.
* premium bonds ditto the above but has that potential of a nice win.
* caveat on last two is clearly if the budget really is small, the effective usefulness in the future is minimal (the inflation point)
* if its a bottle of wine/champagne etc check that it will actually be drinkable if laid down until a 21st birthday!
Oh - and do consider that the same parents may well have more children, and will you also be supporting those subsequent children in the same way.

That probably appears quite negative. Its not intended as such, but as a parent of three I've seen all of the above and "experienced" the realities. Our #1 did end up via several generous people with a few hundred quid in children's bonds - his two siblings much much less...

I'd personally probably go the short lived clothing OR PB route ( but may be worth checking with the parents if an a/c already exists for the child to avoid the prospect of several a/cs all existing side by side complicating matters )

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » February 27th, 2023, 10:56 pm

didds wrote:I'd personally probably go the short lived clothing OR PB route ( but may be worth checking with the parents if an a/c already exists for the child to avoid the prospect of several a/cs all existing side by side complicating matters )

If you're buying PBs for a child (and you're not the parent), you have to provide details of the parent/guardian - who looks after the bonds until the child is 16. There's little or no risk of several accounts ....

https://www.nsandi.com/products/premium ... -other-tab

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » February 28th, 2023, 6:39 am

A knitted something. Babies always look better in home grown outfits, it's personalised too.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 28th, 2023, 8:12 am

chas49 wrote:
didds wrote:I'd personally probably go the short lived clothing OR PB route ( but may be worth checking with the parents if an a/c already exists for the child to avoid the prospect of several a/cs all existing side by side complicating matters )

If you're buying PBs for a child (and you're not the parent), you have to provide details of the parent/guardian - who looks after the bonds until the child is 16. There's little or no risk of several accounts ....

https://www.nsandi.com/products/premium ... -other-tab

Thanks for that Chas49 :-)

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » February 28th, 2023, 10:37 am

I'd second the Premium Bond suggestion. I've just done it for new (6 months old) godson and the process was pretty straightforward. As the purchasor/donor, you can do the purchase on NS&I's website (it helps if you're already an NS&I customer and have a login for yourself), you nominate the recipient, and make the payment to NS&I, and nominate a parent/guardian. NS&I then contact the parent/guardian who has to do the rest of the registration and provide id etc. I understand it takes a bit of thinking but it's not too onerous and anyone with a bit of time and a few grey cells can do it.

Note that a purchase of premium bonds for an under 16 does *not* have to be registered on HMRC's Trust Registration Service
https://lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=35595&p=529248#p529248

For a young child, Premium Bonds are hardly very exciting, but they might come good. However, the box of Duplo Lego that I gave him for his first birthday was a complete hit (well, it was with his father anyway and I understand one builds and the other knocks it down).

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » March 12th, 2023, 3:33 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
WickedLester wrote:I didn't know where the most appropriate place to post this was so I'm trying it out here.

... simply ask her what she would like and buy it.

AiY(D)

You might have to wait a while, or that's some gifted baby!

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » March 12th, 2023, 3:37 pm

I too would go down the premium bonds route. We have done this for all our grandchildren and great grandchildren and so far every one has benefitted.

R6

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » March 12th, 2023, 3:41 pm

From Chat GPT:

Congratulations to your friend's daughter on the birth of her baby girl! Choosing a gift for a newborn can be a fun task, and there are many options to choose from. Here are some ideas:

Clothing: Newborns can never have too many clothes! Soft, comfortable onesies, sleepers, and hats are always appreciated. Look for items made from soft, breathable fabrics that are easy to care for.

Swaddle blankets: Swaddling can help newborns feel secure and calm. Look for lightweight, breathable blankets that are easy to use.

Baby carrier: A baby carrier can be a lifesaver for new parents, allowing them to keep their hands free while keeping their baby close. Look for carriers that are comfortable for both the parent and the baby and are easy to use.

Diaper bag: A functional and stylish diaper bag is a must-have for new parents. Look for one with plenty of pockets and compartments to keep everything organized.

Baby books: Reading to a newborn is a great way to bond and promote early literacy. Look for board books with bright, colorful illustrations and simple text.

Baby toys: Soft, safe toys can provide sensory stimulation and entertainment for newborns. Look for toys with different textures, colors, and sounds.

Personalized gifts: Consider a personalized gift, such as a blanket or onesie with the baby's name or initials embroidered on it.

Gift cards: If you're not sure what to get, a gift card to a baby store or online retailer can be a great option.

Remember to consider the parents' preferences and needs when choosing a gift, and don't forget to include a heartfelt message of congratulations

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 13th, 2023, 1:32 am

Pair her off with a newborn boy ...

... for the gift that guarantees trouble for both of them.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 13th, 2023, 12:06 pm

The only idea I can add is a 1 ounce solid silver coin with the year of her birth. There are loads of gold/silver sites and some of the silver coins are really beautiful.

e.g.
https://www.chards.co.uk/category/buy-c ... ilver/1-oz

Or a 1oz silver bar, take to a jeweller and have her name etched on the back.
https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/silver-bars/

Steve

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » March 13th, 2023, 2:13 pm

Tedx wrote:From Chat GPT:

[i]Congratulations to your friend's daughter on the birth of her baby girl! Choosing a gift for a newborn can be a fun task, and there are many options to choose from. Here are some ideas:

Clothing: Newborns can never have too many clothes! Soft, comfortable onesies, sleepers, and hats are always appreciated. Look for items made from soft, breathable fabrics that are easy to care for.

I humbly disagree with the Chatbot. Parents generally have *heaps* of newborn clothes, and baby will grow out of them very quickly. Clothes for a 6 month old are much less commonly given.

(we found out our children's genders when they were born. It is surprisingly difficult to find clothes for newborns which are not blue or pink)

DM

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » March 13th, 2023, 5:08 pm

I quite like the idea of giving premium bonds, but it looks like a lot of hassle for a friend's daughter, it's probably more appropriate for family.

I also like the idea of giving a silver coin from the child's year of birth; not too expensive and it should always be worth something and could last a lifetime.

At least there's some sensible suggestions as well as some daft ones!

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”