Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Dr Who's Davros is offensive- official!

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Dr Who's Davros is offensive- official!

Postby stevensfo » November 18th, 2023, 6:01 pm

Yes, the infamous Davros is, apparently, poking fun at those in wheelchairs.

“There’s a problem with the Davros of old, in that he’s a wheelchair user who is evil. There’s a long tradition of associating disability with evil but time, society, culture and taste has moved on. When the world changes, Doctor Who has to change as well. Especially on Children in Need night, when issues of disability and otherness come right to the front of the conversation.”

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/doctor-whos-r ... 03596.html

There’s a long tradition of associating disability with evil but time, society, culture and taste has moved on.

...associating disability with evil... really? Isn't that sentence incredibly insulting! I don't whether to laugh or cry.
But fortunately, not everyone shares the view of this plonker. Especially the disabled:

https://twitter.com/IanLevine/status/17 ... 1653986412

Last one to leave the planet, switch off the lights! :?

Steve

doolally
Lemon Slice

Re: Dr Who's Davros is offensive- official!

Postby doolally » November 18th, 2023, 6:10 pm

stevensfo wrote:Yes, the infamous Davros is, apparently, poking fun at those in wheelchairs.

“There’s a problem with the Davros of old, in that he’s a wheelchair user who is evil. There’s a long tradition of associating disability with evil but time, society, culture and taste has moved on. When the world changes, Doctor Who has to change as well. Especially on Children in Need night, when issues of disability and otherness come right to the front of the conversation.”

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/doctor-whos-r ... 03596.html

There’s a long tradition of associating disability with evil but time, society, culture and taste has moved on.

...associating disability with evil... really? Isn't that sentence incredibly insulting! I don't whether to laugh or cry.
But fortunately, not everyone shares the view of this plonker. Especially the disabled:

https://twitter.com/IanLevine/status/17 ... 1653986412

Last one to leave the planet, switch off the lights! :?

Steve

They fail to mention that there's an even longer and more pervasive tradition of associating ability with evil. :?
doolally

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 18th, 2023, 6:21 pm

stevensfo wrote:Yes, the infamous Davros is, apparently, poking fun at those in wheelchairs.

But fortunately, not everyone shares the view of this plonker. Especially the disabled

The philosopher in me wonders whether having a disability can make someone bitter, cynical, resentful, jealous and in general less empathetic to the world. Might that be more likely to lead one down the path to evil? Various James Bond villains had disabilities:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2023/m ... %20stories).

Of course it might also make one more compassionate. :D

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » November 18th, 2023, 9:15 pm

Earlier this year I was sitting in the waiting area of a Glasgow hospital - not a particularly pleasant activity. Then along came a well dressed lady patient of mature years in a wheel chair - one with the large self-driving wheels . The wheels had flower decorations, and the lady's prename boldly scribed. Her appearance cheered us all up. Well done Gabrielle :)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 18th, 2023, 11:56 pm

stevensfo wrote:There’s a long tradition of associating disability with evil

Richard III? But wait, for this one perfect example, Shakespeare has many non-disabled villains.
Mr Squeers? But wait, for this one perfect example, Dickens has many non-disabled villains.

Hmmm. Do we have the makings of a pattern here?

Talking of which, Shylock and Fagin are single examples from these two prolific authors, yet routinely presented as evidence of, erm, ...

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » November 19th, 2023, 9:24 am

stevensfo wrote:There’s a long tradition of associating disability with evil but time, society, culture and taste has moved on.

Well, there was Roosevelt, the narrator from the Rocky Horror Show, Charles Xavier, Stephen Hawking, Barbara Gordon. I'm struggling to think of any baddies though.

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » November 19th, 2023, 12:51 pm

Exterminate

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » November 19th, 2023, 1:28 pm

DrFfybes wrote: I'm struggling to think of any baddies though.

Dr Strangelove.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » November 19th, 2023, 1:51 pm

scotview wrote:
DrFfybes wrote: I'm struggling to think of any baddies though.

Dr Strangelove.

I never quite worked out whoe the goodies were in that film :)

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”