Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Hootenanny

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Hootenanny

Postby Leothebear » January 1st, 2024, 11:14 am

HNY all. I watched Jools between dozes last night. I've given it a miss over the last few years but thought I'd give it another chance.
The "star" was Rod Stewart. He was in his crooner mode. He was crap. Time's up Rod you're well past "past it". Same could be said of Paul Jones. The other relics weren't much better. Hilights were the Sugarbabes. Joss Stone was OK, but the star of the show had to be a very young Irish girl blues singer called Muireann Bradley:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnFEEnzgg_A

She sounded like she'd been born and raised in the heart of Louisiana.

Such a refreshing talent amongst all the old farts.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: Hootenanny

Postby Arborbridge » January 1st, 2024, 1:06 pm

Leothebear wrote:HNY all. I watched Jools between dozes last night. I've given it a miss over the last few years but thought I'd give it another chance.
The "star" was Rod Stewart. He was in his crooner mode. He was crap. Time's up Rod you're well past "past it". Same could be said of Paul Jones. The other relics weren't much better. Hilights were the Sugarbabes. Joss Stone was OK, but the star of the show had to be a very young Irish girl blues singer called Muireann Bradley:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnFEEnzgg_A

She sounded like she'd been born and raised in the heart of Louisiana.

Such a refreshing talent amongst all the old farts.

I watched it for a change and was reasonably impressed. I agree about the Irish girl with her blue grass tendency. Great singing, great on the guitar and such confidence in a 16 year old.

The utter disaster was Paul Jones - he couldn't hold a note and is way past it. Rod Stewart was actually better by some distance, bearing in mind his voice has never been much to write home about, but at least those notes he hit we true enough. One annoying feature was the three backing singers dressed in red. They didn't seem to have anything much to sing. In the last song, one of them proved to be an excellent singer, so the fact they just stood there almost without a sound was a waste. Their job was to flatter the men, which seems a bit stinky to me.
The elderly black lady whose name I've forgotten was also a disaster like Paul Jones - way past it. The second elderly black lady was slightly better.
Higher up the spectrum were the Irish band who were shouty and angry for no real reason. Then come the Sugarbabes who weren't great except in one song. Again. living on past glories, I think.
That leaves Joss Stone who was a good performer but not my taste - though she earned her place.
So the standout was Muireann Bradley, then the two younger solo women - Olivia Dean and Raye. Quite different styles but both have good voices with excellent voice control.

In general, I wish Jools would get rid of some of the tiresome old guard in the audience and find some more new people to interview. But on the whole, it was a good show and far preferable to the Rick Astley noise on BBC1.
I recorded the remainder of Jools after 12.30 or one-ish and caught up this morning.

Today we have the "treat" of the Vienna NYD concert, in which we see an audience of loads of old rich people being taught to clap along like sheep. I would flatly refuse. The only part of this concert which has ever been worth watching is the interval when there's usually some stunning views of Austria and a little light-hearted ballet.

Arb.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » January 1st, 2024, 2:21 pm

Good summaries. I was wincing at the Paul Jones songs, thought that PP Arnold wasn't good but Ruby Turner was ok. Rod Stewart is going downhill which left the ladies to hold the fort. Sugarbabes are not my thing but Joss Stone, Olivia Dean and Raye were fine. Raye reminds me of a young Amy Winehouse, I just hope she can keep it it together. The young blues girl was good and I hope she can expand to be more than a one trick pony.

7/10

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » January 1st, 2024, 2:41 pm

Arborbridge wrote: One annoying feature was the three backing singers dressed in red. They didn't seem to have anything much to sing. In the last song, one of them proved to be an excellent singer, so the fact they just stood there almost without a sound was a waste. Their job was to flatter the men, which seems a bit stinky to me..

Arb.

I don't think I've ever seen backing "singers" who were such clumsy, awkward movers, all three. I could have danced better. I suspect when they went to the talent agency the only criteria was that they should provide 3 blonde women who all look quite similar.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 1st, 2024, 4:01 pm

Leothebear wrote:HNY all. I watched Jools between dozes last night. I've given it a miss over the last few years but thought I'd give it another chance.
The "star" was Rod Stewart. He was in his crooner mode. He was crap. Time's up Rod you're well past "past it". Same could be said of Paul Jones. The other relics weren't much better.

I recorded it to fast forward through, but caught a brief bit of Paul Jones at a party when we all went "Oh Dear" and turned it off.

As I mentioned on another thread, his habit of recording elderly performers 6 weeks before New Year is going to result in some pretty slick editing eventually if they want to pretend it is 'Live'.

Paul

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » January 1st, 2024, 5:33 pm

Always disappoints.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » January 1st, 2024, 5:38 pm

CliffEdge wrote:Always disappoints.

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/art ... 1231243994

--kiloran

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 1st, 2024, 10:42 pm

Redmires wrote:Good summaries. I was wincing at the Paul Jones songs, thought that PP Arnold wasn't good but Ruby Turner was ok. Rod Stewart is going downhill which left the ladies to hold the fort. Sugarbabes are not my thing but Joss Stone, Olivia Dean and Raye were fine. Raye reminds me of a young Amy Winehouse, I just hope she can keep it it together. The young blues girl was good and I hope she can expand to be more than a one trick pony.

7/10

I thought the same of Raye - indeed, I'd go further and say she might even model herself on Amy. So far, it looks like she has her life in better control and has the example of what not to do from that former tragic genius. Judging by the Louis Theroux interview she has good family support, but you can never tell if these young women will come across some cad druggy.

Moireann will be OK - I think she has talent to her finger tips.

Arb.

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » January 2nd, 2024, 10:59 am

For once, Jools seemed to manage to remember everyone's name - BBC must have invested in a decent autocue this year. :roll:

All in all, pretty dire. Not sure why we put ourselves through this year after year??

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”