Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Playing out

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
didds
Lemon Half

Re: Playing out

Postby didds » January 24th, 2024, 8:46 am

bungeejumper wrote:that's for sure. :)

Back in the fifties, my dad used to have a two hour lunch break every day, a hour of which was spent walking home and back so that my mum could cook him his midday meal. (And my wife's dad similarly.) On the plus side, I suppose it was exercise?
BJ

well I'm sure a GP today would be delighted if a patient told them they walked 2 hours a day, "every day".

https://www.mynetdiary.com/daily-step-goal.html
"Walking at a moderate pace of 3 mph (5.6 km/h) equals about 6,000 steps per hour. Walking at a brisk pace of 4 mph (6.4 km/h) is about 8,000 steps per hour."

Then your dad was knocking off > 12000 steps a day just by travelling to and from work.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » January 24th, 2024, 6:13 pm

Dicky99 wrote:
kiloran wrote:In the 50s and 60s from the age of 8 or so, my mates and I would roam all over the place in Coventry. Climb trees, paddle in rivers, go to the canal, climb up the mining bings. In hindsight, the scary thing was that we had no mobiles in those days, indeed we didn't even have a phone at home, so no way of calling for help. I'm sure my parents must have been worried when I was late back for teatime, with no idea where I could be. But, that was the norm in those days.

--kiloran

Your childhood sounds something like mine in the 70s. When I think back to it it makes me shudder to think how I survived that time and how ignorant / unconcerned parents were in those days about their kids freedoms.
Some of the most dangerous were connected with climbing trees and buildings to steal birds eggs which resulted in a few falls which could have ended much worse.
There were impromptu swims in dangerous rivers and diving into canal locks. We broke into empty buildings, trespassed on dangerous building sites, climbed scaffolds.
In short we were little thugs but didn't see it that way. We were just energetic kids outdoors all day in the summer holidays looking for adventure.

I was born in 1960 and when I was young, I used to go out on a Sunday afternoon with an older friend. We went all around the countryside. My parents were snoozing after the big Sunday lunch and didn't worry. I remember walking along a high wall next to a canal, exploring empty buildings and looking through large holes in the floor, trying to get conkers from someone's tree and running like crazy when a lady told us off, riding my bike wherever I wanted, falling out of a tree and thinking I was dead...etc. I remember that I didn't have a watch but knew instinctively when it was time to go home.

Anyone remember the small 'I Spy' books? I think that Bill Oddie was running it for a while. Great fun collecting info, sending it in and getting a gold stamp!

Steve

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 24th, 2024, 8:50 pm

didds wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:that's for sure. :)

Back in the fifties, my dad used to have a two hour lunch break every day, a hour of which was spent walking home and back so that my mum could cook him his midday meal. (And my wife's dad similarly.) On the plus side, I suppose it was exercise?

well I'm sure a GP today would be delighted if a patient told them they walked 2 hours a day, "every day".

My dad had the same routine as BJ's dad, except that with my dad it was cycling to and from work (two round-trips a day, obviously). Then in the evening he would cycle to the pub, and back.

He never saw a doctor in his life.

Year round I would play out somewhere. Did not matter about the weather. From after breakfast to dusk. I think my parents were just glad to not have us around.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”