Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Yes Minister (or Yes Prime Minister)

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
artengill

Yes Minister (or Yes Prime Minister)

Postby artengill » January 29th, 2024, 3:44 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for an old episode of "Yes Minister" (or maybe "Yes Prime Minister"). In the said episode Jim Hacker wants some embarassing news covered up. Sir Humphrey goes through several options but suggests that, if all else fails call a Public Inquiry. Because they take so long everyone loses interest and by the time they end no-one knew what they were about anyway. Or something along those lines.
Might make interesting viewing in light of current ongoing news.

Thanks

Mike

PS Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong Forum

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Yes Minister (or Yes Prime Minister)

Postby stevensfo » January 31st, 2024, 11:48 am

artengill wrote:Hi,

I'm looking for an old episode of "Yes Minister" (or maybe "Yes Prime Minister"). In the said episode Jim Hacker wants some embarassing news covered up. Sir Humphrey goes through several options but suggests that, if all else fails call a Public Inquiry. Because they take so long everyone loses interest and by the time they end no-one knew what they were about anyway. Or something along those lines.
Might make interesting viewing in light of current ongoing news.

Thanks

Mike

PS Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong Forum

I have a lot of the MP3 versions.

Isn't that one where a retired politician is planning to publish his memoirs and the draft is being checked. Some of the chapters are very critical of the PM, while others are okay. The embarrassing ones revolve around a nuclear reactor and he tries to get the chapters removed for reasons of national security, even though the experts say that there's no problem. Then his attempts to hush it up get leaked to the press and all hell breaks loose. He wants a full inquiry to find out who leaked it. Doesn't get very far. The same message of enquiries not getting very far is a recurring theme in the series.

My favourite episode is probably the one where a brand new hospital has all its admin in place, but for financial reasons, no patients. Sir Humphrey can't understand what the problem is and maintains that it's a very well run hospital! :lol: I've worked with people with this mentality!!

Steve

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » January 31st, 2024, 12:56 pm

My favourite is the scandal of a Scottish island being sold at a fraction of its value because of a mistake by a very young Humphrey 30 years before. Hacker demands the name of the official, and watch Hawthorne's expression

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 31st, 2024, 1:02 pm

stevensfo wrote:My favourite episode is probably the one where a brand new hospital has all its admin in place, but for financial reasons, no patients. Sir Humphrey can't understand what the problem is and maintains that it's a very well run hospital! :lol: I've worked with people with this mentality!!

Steve

I worked in a hospital in Sheffiled that had a new unit built next door to us. After putting up with a year or so of our tissue culture getting contaminated from the unfeasible levels of crap generated overwhelming 1980s budget clean air technology Princess Anne (IIRC) came to open it. They filled it with outpatients and agency staff for the day.

Of course it was a huge success, as it was completed on time and budget, then they mothballed it again for another 8 months whilst they actually finished it off.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » January 31st, 2024, 4:23 pm

My favourite episode is where Jim manipulates the two front runners to become PM and ends up with himself as PM, there is a moment where Paul Edington's eyes signify to the viewer that underneath his affable everyman exterior in Jim Hacker there is actually a politician with a real killer instinct.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 31st, 2024, 6:58 pm

My favourite is the one where there is a demonstration outside No.10. Unknown to Jim his daughter is among the demonstrators.

His remarks to Sir Humphrey included the words "I blame the parents".

TJH

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 31st, 2024, 7:36 pm

JohnB wrote:My favourite is the scandal of a Scottish island being sold at a fraction of its value because of a mistake by a very young Humphrey 30 years before. Hacker demands the name of the official, and watch Hawthorne's expression
My favourite bit of that episode is when Sir Humphrey fesses up to it by saying something like: the individual in question is one whom your present interlocutor is in the habit of defining by means of the perpendicular pronoun. After a short pause for understanding Hacker says, "You, Humphrey!" :D

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » January 31st, 2024, 7:49 pm

I always liked that well spoken woman that Humphrey was terrified of. Any of those episodes she easily got the better of him.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » January 31st, 2024, 8:05 pm

I know a fake when I see one.

What is going on with all these ChatGPT responses?

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 31st, 2024, 11:01 pm

Tedx wrote:I know a fake when I see one.

What is going on with all these ChatGPT responses?
Duly noted. C.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » February 1st, 2024, 4:47 pm

Charlottesquare wrote:My favourite episode is where Jim manipulates the two front runners to become PM and ends up with himself as PM, there is a moment where Paul Edington's eyes signify to the viewer that underneath his affable everyman exterior in Jim Hacker there is actually a politician with a real killer instinct.

From what I remember, poor old Jim Hacker was skilfully manipulated by the high-ranking civil servants and given the info to make the others halt heir campaign to become PM.

He was seen as the least troublesome person to be PM, so they had already decided.

Steve

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”