Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

Advertising music.

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Advertising music.

Postby DrFfybes » February 25th, 2024, 4:58 pm

There seems to be some odd choie of advertising music recently.

The first ones I noticed were the use of Queen songs for Qatar and Emirates airlines, given the Countries tolerance for homosexuality it seemed an odd choice of artist.

And last night was the Vitality health insurance advert, where the promote the health incentives available with their insurance to a background of OMD's 'Enola Gay", because nothing says "Healthy Living" like a nuclear weapon.

I guess it is nothing new - Microsoft used The Rolling Stones' "Start Me Up" when they launched Windows 95, conveniently cutting it off before the line "You make a grown man cry".

Any others out there?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Advertising music.

Postby bungeejumper » February 25th, 2024, 5:27 pm

Janis Joplin's Cry Baby" in an ad for Dior?

Not a lot of common cultural background between the drug-fuelled (and very dead) wild child of the sixties, and the sophisticated young women of today who can afford to splash £227 on a bottle of perfume. https://janisjoplin.com/news/janis-jopl ... ie-portman.

Mind you, I realised I was on the wrong planet whan Johnny Rotten turned up in a double-breasted tweed jacket, flogging Country Life butter. O tempora, o mores... :|

BJ

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 25th, 2024, 10:13 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
Mind you, I realised I was on the wrong planet whan Johnny Rotten turned up in a double-breasted tweed jacket, flogging Country Life butter. O tempora, o mores... :|

BJ

May as well make the effort, he had to come from LA to do it :)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 26th, 2024, 11:35 am

DrFfybes wrote:Microsoft used The Rolling Stones' "Start Me Up" when they launched Windows 95, conveniently cutting it off before the line "You make a grown man cry".

I never did quite understand why Donald Trump chose "You Can't Always Get What You Want" as his 2016 campaigning anthem. It's not as if he was in the habit of saying "oh well, I suppose you'll have to settle for little old me". ;) But the Stones objected to that one, and I can hardly blame them.

BJ

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”