Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

Postby Tedx » September 4th, 2023, 4:41 pm

Cheers IAG.

The next project is possibly a diesel heater. You can buy an 'all in one' (i.e.with an integral fuel tank etc) which interests me because:

A: They're portable*
B: I don't want/need/have the space for a permanent heater in the back of the van.
C: They're cheap (less than £150)
D: They're very efficient.
E: I can fill it with diesel outside, reducing the chances of smelly spillage.
F: I can relocate it and use it for my shed.

You can buy ones that you have to semi build yourself (which are cheaper), but that makes it more of a permanent fixture because you have to mount the fuel tank, pump control panels etc. You can get ones that tap into the van's tank as well....but again, thats permanent and I dont was to go drilling into the van''s fuel tank.

* I have seen guys taking a self build one and setting inside a plastic toolbox or similar. They're even a youtube guy selling the 3d printed parts to do it.

My issue is the intake and the exhaust. I either leave the unit outside and route the hot air duct in through the window or I take the unit inside and find a way of routing the inlet/exhaust to the outside world (which normally involves drilling holes in the vehicle....)

The 120w heater I've got will do for the next wee while, but I quite like the idea of it being baltic outside and being toasty warm inside.

So we dont need to run a heater all night, we have a 12v blanket that will plug into the Bluetti. Its a pretty meagre heat rating, but under a duvet its very effective (well it was in June :D )

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 5th, 2023, 8:03 am

Tedx wrote:
My issue is the intake and the exhaust. I either leave the unit outside and route the hot air duct in through the window or I take the unit inside and find a way of routing the inlet/exhaust to the outside world (which normally involves drilling holes in the vehicle....)

A pal at work briefly looked into this, and it usually involves installing a plated turret with associated couplings for relevant connections, and I'll post a picture in the vain hope that we can perhaps still be judged to be keeping on topic for the thread :) -

Source - https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=diesel+turret

I think what put him off in the end was the associated in-cabin piping, rather than the external stuff, and there's a good blog linked below that covers off some similar issues -

https://journeyvision46165803.wordpress.com/2020/11/25/drama-with-my-diesel-heater-dont-make-these-mistakes/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » September 5th, 2023, 1:39 pm

Of course, if it burns diesel, it may be able to burn waste vegetable oil.

If I remember, that was all the rage 20 years ago, before veg oil went up in price.

Diesel cars stopped by police after smelling something like fish 'n chips? 8-)

Steve

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 9th, 2023, 3:24 pm

An unusual cloud over Ullapool (assuming it's not been photoshopped!)

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-66658846

--kiloran

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » September 9th, 2023, 6:39 pm

Its a strange apparition, and as I look at the "cloud", it seems to slowly shrink. Weird :roll:
But back on firmer ground - upstairs in the Captains Cabin has been a port of call to our children and grandchildren. And I'll confess to rummaging through the hardware (and fishing tackle) downstairs.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 9th, 2023, 7:26 pm

scotia wrote:Its a strange apparition, and as I look at the "cloud", it seems to slowly shrink. Weird :roll:

Blimey, so it does! Although it didn't until you mentioned it ... :?

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » September 11th, 2023, 9:00 am

A few days away....semi offgrid (to the extent where we had no internet or mobile signal). We had some DVD's, but no telly or radio.

Glorious weather. Glorious scenery.

Bliss.

<sigh>

Back to reality now

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » September 11th, 2023, 9:43 am

swill453 wrote:We had a pretty spectacular moth in our campervan when in France last month.

A white plume moth, apparently.

Scott.

I'm doing some photos for a pal's trout fly catalogue. Came across this one of a May Fly. It rang a bell.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » September 11th, 2023, 10:03 am

Tedx wrote:A few days away....semi offgrid (to the extent where we had no internet or mobile signal). We had some DVD's, but no telly or radio.

Glorious weather. Glorious scenery.

Bliss.

<sigh>

Back to reality now

Thank you for sharing - this is lovely

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » September 11th, 2023, 10:44 am

Thank you for sharing - this is lovely

Not a problem. I'd say it was the most amount of pictures I'd ever taken in such a short space of time - so here''s a couple of more :D

Our cabin (bascially a shed with a shower :D ). Note Colin who was also on his holidays (some people my age go for 2 seater sports cars, but honestly go for a 2 seater van. We were going to be taking the car, but it's sooooo much easier to throw all you need (and more) for a self catering break into a van.

We had a private access down to the river where we could walk along the fishing beats and up into the forest (there was only 1 or 2 fishers on the go - they were hacked off at the good weather (they prefer crap weather apparently - 'mon the fish!)

We did get talking to a couple of brothers who cheat (imho). One gets in the water and looks for them and the other waits down river with the fishing gear - see pic). They still never caught anything :D ....and he was in there for ages. I just about went into cardiac arrest when I put my foot in to test the temperature.

The day times were spent exploring, dusk was by the fire pit with wine watching the bats flit above your head and at night a movie or a book listening to the owl that lived near our shack.

We had mains electricity, a kettle, a 2 ring hotplate and a microwave, along with a small tv with an inbuilt DVD player. We did think that a radio might have been nice, but we had no news whatsover for the best part of 4 days. Nothing. And it was great.

I could easily live there. I could be the next Hermit of Treig

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0011hp3

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » September 11th, 2023, 10:57 am

Gawd..for a second I thought that was someone in green shorts taking a swim in the water! (or worse) :o

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » September 11th, 2023, 12:10 pm

That looks like a great swim-spot. I'm jealous!

(though I wonder if I need to caveat that with something about the potential for blood-sucking insects - those bats can't've eaten all of them)

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » September 11th, 2023, 12:58 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:That looks like a great swim-spot. I'm jealous!

(though I wonder if I need to caveat that with something about the potential for blood-sucking insects - those bats can't've eaten all of them)

The missus and I went a bit further upstream and found a spot for her to have a dip

...although this was at the bottom of our section of river, by the shack...

To be honest, although we walked for miles, the way the river meanders around, we were never all that far away from basecamp.

It's getting towards the end of midge season now and it was too hot and sunny for them to make an appearance during the day - but there were a few going about at night. A few logs on the firepit sorted them out though.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 11th, 2023, 5:12 pm

mc2fool wrote:
scotia wrote:Its a strange apparition, and as I look at the "cloud", it seems to slowly shrink. Weird :roll:

Blimey, so it does! Although it didn't until you mentioned it ... :?

Something to do with the white of the buildings in the foreground, I think. If you scroll the image so that you can't see the buildings, the shrinkage doesn't happen.

I guess your eye must be recalculating the exposure settings, and then the uncompromising blue of the sky takes charge and the white cloud seems a little less significant to your brain. Important disclosure: I am not, and never have been, a brain surgeon. Fortunately. :|

BJ

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » September 15th, 2023, 6:55 pm

Was out trout fishing this morning in bright sunshine, then around midday this wee bat appeared for a couple of minutes chasing insects, surreal.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 17th, 2023, 10:22 am

I follow a bloke on Twitter who has a rather obsessive interest in the amount of snow that persists year-on-year in the Scottish highlands. Usually there are a few places where the snow survives over the summer until the first new falls in late autumn.

He's just been out to have a look at what is the last remaining patch this year, and reckons it'll have melted in the next couple of days.

This is on Aonach Beag which is east of Ben Nevis.

If, as seems likely, it melts before new snow falls, this will be the second year in succession that Scotland has been snow-free. This (two-in-a-row) has never happened since records began in the 1700s.

https://twitter.com/theiaincameron/stat ... 9914709033

Scott.

BigB
Lemon Slice

Postby BigB » September 19th, 2023, 9:41 am

I remember walking up Ben Nevis in June one year in the mid 90s and there being 12-18" snow near the top, and then assuming that was not uncommon.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 19th, 2023, 9:49 am

BigB wrote:I remember walking up Ben Nevis in June one year in the mid 90s and there being 12-18" snow near the top, and then assuming that was not uncommon.

Indeed it was not uncommon. On many walks up Nevis in June in the 80s and 90s I've been able to push my thumbstick to its full depth into the snow in various places on the summit

--kiloran

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » September 19th, 2023, 10:00 am

kiloran wrote:
BigB wrote:I remember walking up Ben Nevis in June one year in the mid 90s and there being 12-18" snow near the top, and then assuming that was not uncommon.

Indeed it was not uncommon. On many walks up Nevis in June in the 80s and 90s I've been able to push my thumbstick to its full depth into the snow in various places on the summit

This was taken on Ben Nevis on 21st May this year.

(My own picture)

Scott.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » October 3rd, 2023, 9:14 am

Friday night and a wee jaunt up the coast with Colin the Caddy to one on the new camper stop offs that are popping up around Scotland. They're mainly run by the communities and I guess are designed to stop folk parking anywhere and everywhere and to throw a bit of money back their way.

It's a very pleasant campervan stop with very clean facilities....a tad expensive at £17 I thought, especially given there no power hook ups (not that it was a problem for anyone there). There are 2 very pleasant pubs just a 5 minute walk from the site where we had fish n chips for dinner (huge fish!)

https://www.findhornparking.com/

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”