Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

Postby Tedx » July 25th, 2023, 2:58 pm

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » July 25th, 2023, 3:12 pm

TedX, I really enjoy your photos, but PLEASE no more `funny' Facebook posts, as it may encourage others to follow suit! ;)

This thread is a blessed refuge from such stuff, and although I've no right to dictate what should and shouldn't be posted my own view is that the thread should mainly be reserved for photos taken by the posters themselves.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » July 25th, 2023, 3:23 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:TedX, I really enjoy your photos, but PLEASE no more `funny' Facebook posts, as it may encourage others to follow suit! ;)

This thread is a blessed refuge from such stuff, and although I've no right to dictate what should and shouldn't be posted my own view is that the thread should mainly be reserved for photos taken by the posters themselves.

Yeah, you're right CK

A slip of the mouse. Apologies

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » July 25th, 2023, 8:16 pm

Fishing today on a Loch I've not fished for 40 years. Caught this nice rainbow and 3 others on a dry fly.

Aaaahhhh, life is still very, very good.

It's the simple things in life !! All fish were safely returned.

Sorcery
Lemon Quarter

Postby Sorcery » July 25th, 2023, 11:26 pm

scotview wrote:Fishing today on a Loch I've not fished for 40 years. Caught this nice rainbow and 3 others on a dry fly.

What's wrong with eating them? ;-)

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » July 27th, 2023, 12:09 pm

Sorcery wrote:
scotview wrote:Fishing today on a Loch I've not fished for 40 years. Caught this nice rainbow and 3 others on a dry fly.

Hopefully they will be there, and be just as obliging, the next time you go fishing - although probably on our loch they would have been gobbled by the Ospreys or the Cormorants.

Sorcery
Lemon Quarter

Postby Sorcery » July 27th, 2023, 12:48 pm

scotia wrote:
Sorcery wrote:

Hopefully they will be there, and be just as obliging, the next time you go fishing - although probably on our loch they would have been gobbled by the Ospreys or the Cormorants.

Yes, good policy, especially if wild, stocked rainbows that don't breed less so.

Interstingly (didn't notice before), but above the trout and seemingly touching it, there seems to be a transparent jelly like substance. Do you know what that is? Did it come from the loch?

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » August 7th, 2023, 12:00 pm

A Sunday drive out in Colin the camper to the seaside.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » August 7th, 2023, 8:47 pm

Tedx wrote:Former MotoGP multiple World Champion, Marc Marquez in a fairly typical pose for the cameras. (BBC Sport)

You want to be careful that you (and/or LF) doesn't receive a bill from Getty Images. They're extremely aggressive in seeking out unauthorised use of their pix and demanding hefty retrospective licence fees.

I've had a few clients who have received demands for payment when their website designer in Indonesia or Estonia or some other some far-flung place has nicked a pic off the internet and incorporated it into the client's website, only for them to have to pay several hundred dollars when GI later find out. And good luck with trying to claim it back from the designer!

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » August 7th, 2023, 9:40 pm

I've asked for it to be removed

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » August 11th, 2023, 9:29 am

This is a bit of a heads up post which I hope is helpful.

Obviously there's a significant number of photographers on Twitter and I'm sure many of you have your favourties on that forum. However, would you object if I just mentioned this one please. A couple of his photographs showed up in my feed this morning and the first thing I thought of was this thread.

Ken James

Thanks for listening

AiY(D)

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » August 14th, 2023, 1:38 pm

A castle car park, Coffee, Colin the Caddy and....errr...and an RAF Typhoon.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 20th, 2023, 9:06 am

Mr Squirrel enjoying his daily digestive biscuit

--kiloran

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » August 25th, 2023, 8:34 am

It's Damsel and osprey season at my local trout pond. Fly fishing, nature watching and photography.....retirement eh ?

Lovely............................after the last couple of days...............and breath

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » August 25th, 2023, 9:02 am

All the osprey cams eye keep an eye on (Boat of Garten, Loch of Lowes, Loch Arkaig, Manton Bay, the one in Wales plus the Goshawk nest at Boat of Garten) all show vacant nests now :(

They all look to have done ok this year. :D

...but Summer is over and they've all sodded off to somewhere warmer.

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » August 25th, 2023, 9:07 am

One of my fishing venues at Delgaty Castle, as in :

"As I gang doon by Turra Market,
Turra Market for tae fee
I fell in wi' a farmer chiel,
Fae the Barnyards O'Delgaty"

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » August 25th, 2023, 9:12 am

Osprey chick catches her first fish. Scotview is raging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOPPhTMpxhA

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 25th, 2023, 2:14 pm

We had a pretty spectacular moth in our campervan when in France last month.

A white plume moth, apparently.

Scott.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » August 29th, 2023, 11:23 am

The Bank Holiday weekend (except Scotland) saw some reasonable weather. Not great, but ok.

A mate was cycling in a 100 mile event, so we toured around the countryside providing support at various stop off points.

Sunday saw the missus looking for a long cross country training run up and around a windfarm/distillery estate. I normally head to her end point, park up the van and walk back towards her - except I failed to see a tiny blue disk on a fence with an arrow pointing right to the windfarm....and went straight on instead. Oh well. It was initially a landrover track (Sort of), then a tiny track for a few miles miles (probably not even a human track) to a small summit of about 550 meters. It was desolate and quiet but despite the wet feet and the gentle drizzle it was quite relaxing.

On the Saturday cycle run though, I caught sight of a well worn ( :D ) Scottish joke. Eh IAG? (You can just see the joke lying down next to mum)

...and I couldn't pass up a photo of the Thomas Telford Bridge at Craigellachie....

On to Sunday and the unplanned off piste heather bash.

Eagle country....

Then back to Colin the Caddy. Note shoes gently drying in the sun and my socks toasting on the roof

When the missus got back, we got ourselves sorted out, but it started raining, so we put our wet and muddy shoes under the van while having lunch inside the van.

...after wwe left and about 10 miles down the road the inevitable question arose.....'did you pick up the shoes....no I thought you did' etc etc etc. A u-turn was quickly carried out and a shortwhile later...

From there we were going to go home, but we decided on an unplanned drive to our favourite parkup in Deeside via a large supermarket for supplies. A great 4g signal meant the rest of the afternoon sitting watching the Newcastle v Liverpool game and later on the WC athletics...

I think getting the van has been one of our best decisions ever. For sitting in after walks/runs and for impromptu nights in the wild, it's been really good fun getting away for the odd night. There's so much within 100 miles of us that I never knew existed. And you can park up anywhere really. It's probably best to get there as late as possible and leave sharpish if you think it's a bit dodgy, but the good thing about a Caddy (or similar) is that you can go fully into stealth mode. It's not an obvious campervan. And that means you have to travel light (which initially was uncomfortable for the missus). We have an emergency kit in the van (those plastic storage boxes are so good!) with spare clothes in case we get wet or whatever and toothbrushes etc. We also have a solar shower bag that we just use to warm water for dishes and splashing on your face etc.

....and it's also been fun buying bits and bobs and adapting it for our own requirements. I picked up a discontinued model 500wh Bluetti power bank - more than enough for what we need and gives us complete energy independence. It comes with all the output sockets we need. British Gas conveniently put a 12v charging point in the rear of the van, so it charges there while we're on the move. We have an old Samsung tablet on a magnetic plate on the ceiling tethered to a mobile phone for live tv - or if there's going to be no signal, we always have a couple of download Netflix movies to hand

I installed a 5 bottle storage rack (for a shed) in the rear and we bought 2 x one litre thermos flasks which keeps water hot for ages. On Monday morning I poured what was left of the hot water into the kettle, give it a quick boost back to boil with our small gas stove and pour it back into the flask. We also have 3 x 1 litre cold water flasks. The wife's sister made thermal curtains to seperate the driver section and the rear and we bought thermal magnetic pads for the back windows. I fitted magnetic strips around the outside of the cargo bay window to allow me to attach a bug screen when parked up so we can have fresh air but without the beasties. All the internal lighting is LED of course and we have rear facing seats from a Bongo in the back (turned around by us as they were originally front facing, but the original fitting was by the previous guy - who also did the insulating, sound deadening and carpeting). Lap belts are fitted in case we need to take anyone else. There's loads of other little things been done or are in the planning (like thinking about winter interior/exterior lighting) I also test a small 120w windscreen fan heater but for the rear of the van. The Bluetti ran it easily for an hour and made a real difference in that small area despite the feeble wattage.

Enough from me. Thanks for reading!

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 29th, 2023, 12:21 pm

Tedx wrote:
When the missus got back, we got ourselves sorted out, but it started raining, so we put our wet and muddy shoes under the van while having lunch inside the van.

...after we left and about 10 miles down the road the inevitable question arose.....'did you pick up the shoes....no I thought you did' etc etc etc. A u-turn was quickly carried out and a short while later...

On the plus side, when weighing up the decision on whether to head back for them or not, you at least know with manky boots and shoes that no nutter is likely to have nicked 'em!

:O)

Great post - and fantastic to hear how you're getting on so well with the van and it's recent modifications.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”