Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Lemonfool my pic of the day thread

Postby johnhemming » August 9th, 2020, 6:04 am

servodude wrote: - if the fretted note is flat move the bridge forward

Thanks for this. Would you not need to reiterate this as a result of changing the length of the vibrating string?

I have never used flatwound strings. What do you find is the benefit of those?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 9th, 2020, 7:48 am

johnhemming wrote:
servodude wrote: - if the fretted note is flat move the bridge forward

Thanks for this. Would you not need to reiterate this as a result of changing the length of the vibrating string?

I have never used flatwound strings. What do you find is the benefit of those?

Yes. You need to rinse and repeat until it's where it needs to be; count the quarter turns each time and half that if you need to change direction.

The main thing about flatwounds is the feel; they're slick so there's no squeaking if you slide your fingers along them (so a lot of jazz players use them for that).
The sound is a bit more consistent across the strings and it tames a bit of the top end that can be a bit harsh on Gretsch guitars. I wouldn't use them on everything but they seemed appropriate to try on this, and it turns out I do like them.

-sd

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » August 11th, 2020, 7:23 pm

It seems we've been experiencing far more pleasant temperatures up here than in the globally-warmed south. Most of the last few days has been in the mid-20's, which is perfect for perambulation, but a friend to whom I spoke in Berkshire was complaining that in the mid-30's it was just too hot to go for a walk.

So we headed up to Walney Island, near Barrow, on Sunday, for a most enjoyable walk along the coast.

A couple of pics, first the micro (if you look closely you can see on the horizon the Walney Extension wind farm, supposedly the largest in the world) ...

And then the macro, with Black Combe in the distance ...

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 13th, 2020, 11:00 pm

Snorvey wrote:The Uk's first P8 Poseidon maritime patrol aircraft, 'The Pride of Moray' is becoming a common sight in the skies above me.
* Pic taken from thepressandjournal.co uk

And before I saw the credits I wondered how you managed to get standing at the end of the runway.
Many years ago, there was a public road across the end of the runway at Wick 'drome - with lights to warn you if a plane was landing. Using this road, one (foreign) tourist parked his car on the end of the runway and stood up through his sun roof to get a good shot of the plane landing overhead. Thereafter the road was fenced off, and a sizeable detour was required. It also prevented the locals from using the runway in the evenings for learner driver practice. :)

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 14th, 2020, 9:59 am

Snorvey wrote:
You can stand at the river Findhorn end of the Kinloss runway (there's even a cyclepath there). No stopping in a vehicle though - strictly verboten.

I have passed that spot in a car several times in the past few years. But I thought the airfield had been turned into an army barracks. Then I remembered that you mentioned it was back in temporary use while Lossie was upgraded. What's the current state? Its only of academivc interest, since my plane spotting days are long gone. I don't think I could persuade my granddaughters that the end of Kinloss runway is a better spot to be than on the beach at Findhorn. :)

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » August 14th, 2020, 11:44 am

scotia wrote:And before I saw the credits I wondered how you managed to get standing at the end of the runway.
Many years ago, there was a public road across the end of the runway at Wick 'drome - with lights to warn you if a plane was landing. Using this road, one (foreign) tourist parked his car on the end of the runway and stood up through his sun roof to get a good shot of the plane landing overhead. Thereafter the road was fenced off, and a sizeable detour was required. It also prevented the locals from using the runway in the evenings for learner driver practice. :)

There is a public road at the end of Coningsby airfield in Lincolnshire. It was quite an experience to stand at the end of the runway as Tornados were taking off or landing. A few years ago since I lived in that area so things may have changed since.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 16th, 2020, 12:07 pm

Snorvey wrote:Up again before the birds thus morning for a rather drive up to Ben Rinnes. About half an hour into a dark and foggy, but perfectly still climb, my head torch stopped working, which made the next half an hour quite......errr.....entertaining.

I would give you a rec for that - especially the last one, which is gorgeous once I've turned the screen upside down.

But having been alerted to the upside down pics the first time you posted them, you've done it again a few times since. These ones are a mix: three of the nine are the right way up. Any chance you could pay attention to that in future?

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » August 16th, 2020, 12:11 pm

All the right way up for me!

Great pics either way

Rob

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 16th, 2020, 12:20 pm

All good on my PC as well. Brilliant pics, Snorvey, I could almost smell the heather.

BJ

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 16th, 2020, 12:29 pm

All look fine to me.

Scott.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 16th, 2020, 12:36 pm

Snorvey wrote:I honestly don't know why it does that - or how to fix it. they're fine on my phone and I upload them to flickr where they look also fine.

On my tablet and phone they look fine

And they are fine on my PC with Edge Brower and Windows 10
I have only seen dotterel once - high up in the Braemar area. They wandered around, and didn't seem to be bothered by our presence

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 16th, 2020, 12:52 pm

Snorvey wrote:Up again before the birds thus morning for a rather drive up to Ben Rinnes. About half an hour into a dark and foggy, but perfectly still climb, my head torch stopped working, which made the next half an hour quite......errr.....entertaining.

.......but then you burst through the cloud and......wow. Not a breath of wind and only the sound of my collapsing lungs to shatter the peace and quiet.

Cheers!

It's one of the great pleasures of life, going up a hill and breaking through the cloud.

Back in 1979, some friends emigrated to Switzerland, and I visited them a month or so after they arrived. They were still a bit shell-shocked getting their new life organised, so we decided to have a day off and do some touristy things. We went to Vitznau, where they have a railway which goes to the peak of Rigi. Jumped on the train, on a miserable cloudy day, and trundled up the mountain. Totally unexciting, then we suddenly burst through the clouds. What a transformation, a stunning view. Alps in all directions, from the 1800m peak of Rigi. And, of course, a hotel on top, serving fine beer. That was the instant when my friends realised why they had gone to Switzerland. An unforgettable experience.

--kiloran

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 16th, 2020, 12:56 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Snorvey wrote:
I wondered what you were on about originally....but just now i see a couple of the pictures are upside down (they werent earlier on).

I wonder if this is something to do with the EXIF orientation tags on those specific images, and if those images were taken with the portable device turned 'upside down' when compared to the others?

I see that Snorvey is not using IMGUR to host his images, which usefully strips out all EXIF information from their hosted images (good from a security point of view...), but I suspect that the host Snorvey is using might not, and I wonder if it might be useful for someone who is seeing an upside-down image to specifically post the URL for one of those images so that Snorvey can check this?

Taking two of the pics from that latest post,
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/502 ... 026b_o.jpg shows upside down.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/502 ... 8a79_o.jpg shows the right way up.

When I click through to those URLs (which I find through "view source"), the pics appear much bigger, and the right way up!

This is chrome on a macbook pro, which seems pretty mainstream to me!

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 16th, 2020, 1:04 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:This is chrome on a macbook pro, which seems pretty mainstream to me!

Just tried it with Chrome on an iPad, which is the closest to that that I've got to hand, and all looks good, nothing inverted (other than the clouds :-))

Scott.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 16th, 2020, 2:44 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:This is chrome on a macbook pro, which seems pretty mainstream to me!

I'm getting the same upside-down pics on my Linux desktop. On multiple browsers: again, Firefox and Chrome seem pretty mainstream!

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 16th, 2020, 3:19 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
Snorvey wrote:
I wondered what you were on about originally....but just now i see a couple of the pictures are upside down (they werent earlier on).

I wonder if this is something to do with the EXIF orientation tags on those specific images, and if those images were taken with the portable device turned 'upside down' when compared to the others?

I see that Snorvey is not using IMGUR to host his images, which usefully strips out all EXIF information from their hosted images (good from a security point of view...), but I suspect that the host Snorvey is using might not, and I wonder if it might be useful for someone who is seeing an upside-down image to specifically post the URL for one of those images so that Snorvey can check this?

Taking two of the pics from that latest post,

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50231466518_7b7747026b_o.jpg shows upside down.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50231963096_495e438a79_o.jpg shows the right way up.

When I click through to those URLs (which I find through "view source"), the pics appear much bigger, and the right way up!

This is chrome on a macbook pro, which seems pretty mainstream to me!

When we look at the underlying EXIF data on the above two photos, and check the 'Orientation' flag using IrfanView Portable (https://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_pictures/irfanview_portable) via the Image....Information....Exif Info option, we can see that the two photos have got different 'Orientation' settings -

I suspect that any photos showing up here as upside down on people's various systems will have their EXIF 'Orientation' field set to 'Bottom Right'..

This issue isn't seen when IMGUR is used to host images posted on this board, as IMGUR strips the EXIF data from any uploaded images, so it seems that the issue is related to the fact that flickr will unfortunately maintain these EXIF 'Orientation' tags, and it's that process that's causing some issues with some people's configurations. I see the same issues with these latest photos on my Android tablet, via Firefox, but they view fine on my Windows 10 machine..

Whilst I hope the above is useful, it's really missing the main reason that I wanted to post, however, which was to say what fantastic photos they are Snorvey, and what a brilliant start to the day above those clouds...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » August 16th, 2020, 4:26 pm

Snorvey, outstanding pictures.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 16th, 2020, 4:35 pm

Snorvey wrote:
Aye, but it's really only uncle eb that's gurning.

Acceptable losses.

;)

Heh - well joking aside...

If you're likely to continue using the same device to take these sorts of landscape shots and flickr to host them, and given the quality of the photo's I can't really see why you wouldn't, then you could take a couple of quick test photos with the device in both orientations, turned 180 degrees between each picture, take a note of what the back of the device looked like when you took each photo, and then post both of the flickr test photos on the temporary TEST board - https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=28.

Then, if UncleEb let you know which one looked the correct orientation on his set-up, you could simply put a little sticker on the back of your device, with 'UP' written on it, for when you take the next set of pictures...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » August 16th, 2020, 4:53 pm

I don't normally post here, but just to say I see the "upside down" pics too, so someone isn't alone!

oldapple
2 Lemon pips

Postby oldapple » August 16th, 2020, 9:06 pm

dealtn wrote:I don't normally post here, but just to say I see the "upside down" pics too, so someone isn't alone!

Are you in Australia?

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”