Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Improving in-retirement portfolio

Including Financial Independence and Retiring Early (FIRE)
richfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: Improving in-retirement portfolio

Postby richfool » July 31st, 2019, 7:08 pm

jonesa1 wrote:In the end I've opted to boost the capital growth potential, reduce UK exposure, increase global exposure by selling Lowland and buying Mid Wynd International. Now I just need to leave well alone.

"Great minds" as they say. I added Mid Wynd 2 weeks ago, to give me what I view as some additional cautious global growth exposure. I had studied their Report & Accounts and fact sheets and liked the way they categorise the stocks they are buying and the fact they were avoiding the big FAANG stocks. I am hoping that in the event of a correction, they will not suffer as much as the main global growth trusts.

gbjbaanb
Lemon Slice

Postby gbjbaanb » July 31st, 2019, 11:19 pm

I looked at Mid Wynd, and compared it to my choice of global trust - Scottish American. Mid has 47% in US stocks (compared to SCAM's 26% in both UK and USA) SCAM does have some property and a little fixed interests so I like to think its as little more diversified. Triple the dividend though.

But the performance of both is roughly copmparable, so .. "meh"!

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » August 1st, 2019, 1:07 pm

gbjbaanb wrote:I looked at Mid Wynd, and compared it to my choice of global trust - Scottish American. Mid has 47% in US stocks (compared to SCAM's 26% in both UK and USA) SCAM does have some property and a little fixed interests so I like to think its as little more diversified. Triple the dividend though.

gbjb,

Noted that SCAM has a higher yield (2.71% .....and at a premium of 4.46%), but it is in the global growth & income sector. Within that sector I already hold: JPGI, MYI & HINT. SCAM also holds a significant amount of property, which would help its yield.

MWY, being in the global growth sector, targets different stocks and sectors (perhaps apart from some of JPGI's holdings which also targets some growth stocks).

I wouldn't say that the past performance capital growth-wise of SCAM is that closely comparable to that of Mid Wynd (MWY).

According to HL website:-

- - SCAM - - - MWY
6 mth:16.7% - 22.6%
1 yr: 11.8% - - 13.5%
2 yr: 19% - - - 32.2%
3 yrs: 44% - - - 52%
5yrs: 70% - - -117%

I particularly like the way MWY targets certain themes, (from the MWY fact sheet):-

Healthcare Costs 16.8%
Online Services 15.8%
Emerging Market Consumer 14.9%
Automation 13.9%
Screen Time 11.3%
High Quality Assets 8.7%
Low Carbon World 7.4%
Scientific Equipment 6.0%
Tourism 4.7%

Source, the fact sheet accessible through:
https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... rd-gbp0.05

Incidentally, further to your earlier post, I have recently offloaded ASEI (Aberdeen Standard Equity Inc) and topped up RGL. I hold EGL already.

gbjbaanb
Lemon Slice

Postby gbjbaanb » August 1st, 2019, 1:20 pm

richfool wrote:
gbjbaanb wrote:I looked at Mid Wynd, and compared it to my choice of global trust - Scottish American. Mid has 47% in US stocks (compared to SCAM's 26% in both UK and USA) SCAM does have some property and a little fixed interests so I like to think its as little more diversified. Triple the dividend though.

gbjb,

Noted that SCAM has a much higher yield, but it is in the global growth & income sector. Within that sector I already hold: JPGI, MYI & HINT. SCAM also holds a significant amount of property, which would help its yield.

MWY, being in the global growth sector, targets different stocks and sectors (perhaps apart from some of JPGI's holdings which also targets some growth stocks).

I wouldn't say that the past performance capital growth-wise of SCAM is that closely comparable to that of Mid Wynd (MWY).

According to HL website:-

- - SCAM - - - MWY
6 mth:16.7% - 22.6%
1 yr: 11.8% - - 13.5%
2 yr: 19% - - - 32.2%
3 yrs: 44% - - - 52%
5yrs: 70% - - -117%

I particularly like the way MWY targets certain themes, (from the MWY fact sheet):-

Healthcare Costs 16.8%
Online Services 15.8%
Emerging Market Consumer 14.9%
Automation 13.9%
Screen Time 11.3%
High Quality Assets 8.7%
Low Carbon World 7.4%
Scientific Equipment 6.0%
Tourism 4.7%

Source, the fact sheet accessible through:
https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... rd-gbp0.05

Incidentally, further to your earlier post, I have recently offloaded ASEI (Aberdeen Standard Equity Inc) and topped up RGL. I hold EGL already.

I guess its all down to the other trusts you have and their sectors too, but I tend to look at geography more, simply because it's way too easy to get way too much all stuck in the US, let alone all invested in the same handful of US stocks! I do like their themes though, but think of the overlap between "low carbin world" and renewables infrastructure trusts, or "screen time" and "online services" and other trusts with FAANG stocks. But, like I said, its all a muchness really. If I consolidated my trusts down to a few, then MWY would be one to really consider as a core, but not for me right now.

I looked at overall performance, from theaic.co.uk, 1/3/5/10yrs:
SCAM: 15.4	58.7	103.1	326.1
MWY : 14.8 57.2 130.4 387.5

I think its important to look at total return, comparing apples to oranges otherwise, if you're not selling some units for income then should compare to reinvesting dividends. Its a shame most sites only look at the share price and ignore dividend income.

Kantwebefriends
Lemon Slice

Postby Kantwebefriends » August 1st, 2019, 11:27 pm

Fill your SIPP annually. If you die before 75 then your wife (or whomever you nominated) will be able to draw the money out tax-free (under current law).

Consider lending annual money to the children so that they can subscribe to LISAs.

Return to “Retirement Investing (inc FIRE)”