Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Minimising sequence risk in a mixed portfolio

Including Financial Independence and Retiring Early (FIRE)
Gilgongo
Lemon Slice

Re: Minimising sequence risk in a mixed portfolio

Postby Gilgongo » August 16th, 2020, 7:58 pm

1nvest wrote:With a liability matched ladder the idea is that you have a bond that matures each year to the inflation adjusted value of your anticipated spending in that year, so there's no rebalancing

I see. BTW in an earlier post you said that someone with £500K and wanting £20K income would be OK buying a Linker. I didn't understand the rest of your post though because I couldn't see how an investment vehicle that's pinned to inflation could ever do that. Can you elaborate?

JohnW
Lemon Slice

Postby JohnW » August 16th, 2020, 10:34 pm

Gilgongo wrote: BTW in an earlier post you said that someone with £500K and wanting £20K income would be OK buying a Linker.

I doubt you can do it with 'a Linker'. I think you'd need a bunch of them, and ideally with many different maturity dates. It's described in detail here.
https://retirementresearcher.com/how-do ... nt-income/

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » August 17th, 2020, 12:19 am

JohnW wrote:
Gilgongo wrote: BTW in an earlier post you said that someone with £500K and wanting £20K income would be OK buying a Linker.

I doubt you can do it with 'a Linker'. I think you'd need a bunch of them, and ideally with many different maturity dates. It's described in detail here.
https://retirementresearcher.com/how-do ... nt-income/

Thanks John. Yes that's it.

Conceptually should provide much the same as a annuity, but where in DIY'ing it yourself, your heirs get to keep any remainder proceeds rather than seeing it lost to the annuity provider.

Return to “Retirement Investing (inc FIRE)”