Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

One more month...

Including Financial Independence and Retiring Early (FIRE)
Snakey
Lemon Pip

One more month...

Postby Snakey » May 30th, 2021, 9:41 am

...of what is feeling like the longest notice period ever. Just enjoying my final meaningful bank holiday weekend. :lol:

What do I need to make sure I've done, before permanently losing access to:
a) a fully-equipped office;
b) an ongoing supply of "the last three months' payslips"?

I've printed off my P60 and a couple of utility bills... the only other I can think of is to update my Will while I still have access to unrelated people to witness my signature. I don't need to open any new bank accounts or take out any loans.

What would be on your mind? Or, if you've already done it, is there anything you wish you'd thought to do while you could?

I'm hoping "nothing" - but I wanted to ask you, because it would be annoying to think of something just a little too late.

Darka
Lemon Slice

Re: One more month...

Postby Darka » May 30th, 2021, 9:59 am

Do you need a passport renewal before you lose access to unrelated witnesses?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 30th, 2021, 10:31 am

Staples, paperclips, printer paper...

Scott.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » May 30th, 2021, 10:36 am

Do you get any IT or other kit from work you'd miss, when our staff leave they sometimes ask nicely and get to keep their mobile phone and occasionally laptop - especially if the models are old and due to be replaced.
How are you doing for post-its and highlighters?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 30th, 2021, 10:41 am

But seriously...

If you use your work mobile number for personal calls, consider whether you want to ask if you can port it to your own contract.

Of course you may not wish old work contacts to be able to get hold of you.

Scott.

Mulberry

Postby Mulberry » May 30th, 2021, 10:42 am

If you have a lot of old paperwork, 'weed' your files and use the office's shredding facilities.

Mulberry

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » May 30th, 2021, 10:53 am

Snakey wrote:What would be on your mind? Or, if you've already done it, is there anything you wish you'd thought to do while you could?

I'm hoping "nothing" - but I wanted to ask you, because it would be annoying to think of something just a little too late.

Insurance. It may be worth checking if you can reduce your premiums by changing your status from "employed" to "retired" ?

References. Take away a signed employment reference with you from your HR Dept. preferably. Or if not, know their contact details.
And ask any colleagues you do get on with to write some platitudes on a linkedin profile (if you have one).
You never know if they might be useful in future ...

uspaul666
2 Lemon pips

Postby uspaul666 » May 30th, 2021, 11:27 am

Taking an alternative nostalgic view I would:
take photos of my commute, the office, the people in it and the Thursday night, Friday lunchtime pub.
I’d email home any/all personal contact details from the office system. I’d also email home any particularly silly email or instant messaging conversations that occurred.
I’d ‘possibly’ email home any piece of work I was particularly proud of.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » May 30th, 2021, 11:38 am

uspaul666 wrote:I’d email home any/all personal contact details from the office system.

Notify those contacts who used office numbers or emails to switch to the home versions.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » May 30th, 2021, 12:26 pm

Alaric wrote:
uspaul666 wrote:I’d email home any/all personal contact details from the office system.

Notify those contacts who used office numbers or emails to switch to the home versions.

My mobile number was once unwittingly left on a former employer's list of IT support/escalation contacts.

Imagine my delight when having been woken up at 3am to deal with an impending catastrophe I said "sorry, don't work for you any more", and went back to sleep!

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » May 30th, 2021, 1:52 pm

Maybe you need a little help in the planning..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stealing-Suppl ... 0836217578

Kantwebefriends
Lemon Slice

Postby Kantwebefriends » May 30th, 2021, 4:26 pm

Thirty years ago I heard a tale of a chap who'd finished his last day of work for the Queensland Civil Service. As his train chugged across the bridge over the Brisbane River he opened a window and threw out his tie, his pipe, and his briefcase.

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » May 30th, 2021, 5:05 pm

Make sure you have a comprehensive list of names and contact telephone numbers. You may never need them but if you need to contact the head of HR or Finance due to a company SNAFU then you're prepared.

Make sure you have records of Pensions etc.

Confirm when you will receive P45. Confirm they have the correct address to send this to. (Mine got lost and they would not reissue).

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » May 30th, 2021, 5:15 pm

Always useful to keep the personal contact numbers of your old colleagues. Ask David Cameron.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » May 31st, 2021, 10:08 am

Snakey wrote:Just enjoying my final meaningful bank holiday weekend. :lol:

As someone who retired at the beginning of the year bank holidays are still meaningful to me, as they are an excellent reminder that whilst everyone else is enjoying this one day off, I don't need to be up early tomorrow for the crack of dawn train to London. Or the following day. Or the day after. Etc.

Empty your desk, shred everything, take note of contact details for HR in case they screw up your final pay, pension, or tax (don't ask why I suggest that!), and look forward to the future and not back at the past.

Snakey
Lemon Pip

Postby Snakey » June 1st, 2021, 1:52 pm

Thanks, all!

They're letting me keep the phone so I need to get a new SIM and port the number over - I've never owned my own phone as I've always had work ones, so that's a nice learning curve and makes me feel very past-it.

Big pile of shredding building up as I gradually clear out old bank statements, utility bills and so on. I'm struggling with that a bit as it would be just my luck to need them all as soon as I no longer have a printer, but I can't think why I would, so...

Food for thought about the nostalgia. I do have various photos, even though right now I can't imagine how I would ever look back in fondness. I suppose you forget about the bad stuff, in time, like with your schooldays.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » June 1st, 2021, 9:58 pm

Snakey wrote:Food for thought about the nostalgia. I do have various photos, even though right now I can't imagine how I would ever look back in fondness. I suppose you forget about the bad stuff, in time, like with your schooldays.

I have found one tends to keep in touch with like minded people one wants to and vice versa. Some of my close/most regular drinking colleagues are those I worked with for only a brief period (6 months) over 10 years ago now. From university, it is a group from the third (of four) years, no particular reason, at university 25 years ago. And from school, 30 years ago, 8 of us who formed the Double Maths cohort still keep in touch. Everyone else it seems is a transient contact on LinkedIn ...

Enjoy your departure, and do keep us posted at the end of the year on how you are getting on.

Bud1

Postby Bud1 » June 2nd, 2021, 1:51 am

You will probably lose contacts on your phone if they were added as numbers to your email contacts eg through outlook. I suddenly lost about 500 numbers as soon as i lost access to office outlook. Try to get a printout of your office outlook contacts. I also got to retain my phone but still lost contacts thinking they were nothing to do with email accounts and all on the phone

Health insurance - get started on looking for that as continuation policies are very expensive unless you get ones which exclude any existing conditions ( if you had private medical insurance)

Similarly for dental although the the difference here is not as big pre versus post retirement but good idea to get a check up anyway

b0f77

Postby b0f77 » June 2nd, 2021, 7:54 pm

Check out all the personal online accounts where you might have used your work email to log in and change it over to your personal email. An important one is if you have online access to a pension plan from your employer as they quite often get set up with your work email. I also found I had some things that had my work email as a secondary contact. Another thing I did was go through my email inbox at work and delete everything especially any personal emails, you never know who might have access to the account after you have left. I did that and set up an out of office auto reply to run for some time after I had gone. Enjoy your final month!

sunnyjoe
Lemon Slice

Postby sunnyjoe » June 6th, 2021, 6:20 pm

Bud1 wrote:You will probably lose contacts on your phone if they were added as numbers to your email contacts eg through outlook. I suddenly lost about 500 numbers as soon as i lost access to office outlook. Try to get a printout of your office outlook contacts. I also got to retain my phone but still lost contacts thinking they were nothing to do with email accounts and all on the phone

Health insurance - get started on looking for that as continuation policies are very expensive unless you get ones which exclude any existing conditions ( if you had private medical insurance)

Similarly for dental although the the difference here is not as big pre versus post retirement but good idea to get a check up anyway

Outlook contacts can be exported to a spreadsheet or text file

Return to “Retirement Investing (inc FIRE)”