Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Fired!

Including Financial Independence and Retiring Early (FIRE)
Darka
Lemon Slice

Re: Fired!

Postby Darka » August 18th, 2021, 5:43 pm

TUK020 wrote:The world is your lobster!
I am 2.5 weeks into retirement. So far so good.
Just joined a gym, planning my first visit tomorrow morning. Starting at a tennis club next month, etc
:D

Indeed it is!
I think a gym is a great idea, I definitely want to spend more time on fitness and strength.

Glad to hear you are still enjoying it after 2.5 weeks :D

Eboli
Lemon Slice

Postby Eboli » August 18th, 2021, 7:26 pm

Many, many congratulations.

You beat me to it as I retired at age 53 and never since have I regretted it. Perhaps the only regret I have now (13 years later) is I wish I had done it earlier!

I hope you have a few days holiday booked now as the relief and feeling of looking forward is very much worth savouring for a few days. I remember sitting at my favourite taverna looking at the sea thinking "Life is good!"

Best wishes,

Eb.

PS I too had 3 months notice but because of built up leave I only worked another 24 days after handing in my notice.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » August 18th, 2021, 7:51 pm

I am a gradualist, 2017 at 57 went to a three day week, (I now have a 4 day weekend) 2019 at 59 gave up my part time practice, 2021 at 61 we sold our largest site, next year at 62 we post sale move office after 30 years in the same place (it is taking us up to a year to get rid of everything accumulated) , thereafter I suspect I can then drop down to two days a week, tee things up for MTD as we morph onto our new software and then recruit a safe pair of hands successor and with one year's notice head for retirement.

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » August 19th, 2021, 8:25 am

Charlottesquare wrote:I am a gradualist, 2017 at 57 went to a three day week, (I now have a 4 day weekend) 2019 at 59 gave up my part time practice, 2021 at 61 we sold our largest site, next year at 62 we post sale move office after 30 years in the same place (it is taking us up to a year to get rid of everything accumulated) , thereafter I suspect I can then drop down to two days a week, tee things up for MTD as we morph onto our new software and then recruit a safe pair of hands successor and with one year's notice head for retirement.

I did consider going part time initially, but then after the last few months I couldn't do it.

Need to get out for my own sanity.

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » August 19th, 2021, 8:27 am

Eboli wrote:Many, many congratulations.

You beat me to it as I retired at age 53 and never since have I regretted it. Perhaps the only regret I have now (13 years later) is I wish I had done it earlier!

I hope you have a few days holiday booked now as the relief and feeling of looking forward is very much worth savouring for a few days. I remember sitting at my favourite taverna looking at the sea thinking "Life is good!"

Best wishes,

Eb.

PS I too had 3 months notice but because of built up leave I only worked another 24 days after handing in my notice.

Thank you Eboli,

Instead of some holiday I have my manager going away for 2 weeks from Monday which is almost as good :D

I do have some remaining holiday and am waiting on HR to get in touch to discuss as my manager doesn't seem to want to talk to me anymore for some reason...

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » August 19th, 2021, 9:27 am

My manager now won't speak to me, unless I force it :lol:
He hasn't told me if he's spoken to HR, or who he has told about me leaving.

He is on vacation for 2 weeks from Monday, so I'll speak to HR myself then to ensure he has actually started the process.

He is not a good manager.

OLTB
Lemon Quarter

Postby OLTB » August 19th, 2021, 9:58 am

Darka wrote:My manager now won't speak to me, unless I force it :lol:

He is on vacation for 2 weeks from Monday, so I'll speak to HR myself then to ensure he has actually started the process.

I think that 'retiring' at such an age is wonderful news for you and must be congratulated - and that goes for anyone else who has done so in your position. All those additional years you'll have of choosing what to do with those hours instead of traveling to the office - brilliant. I am a similar age to you but still have a hefty mortgage to contend with so won't be able to leave for at least another 10 years (and I still enjoy my work, which is a very significant factor!). With your manager acting the way they are, it seems they wish they were in the position you are in...

All the best on this next stage for you, cheers, OLTB.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » August 19th, 2021, 10:22 am

The comments on here about the unpleasantness of the working environment are salutary. I have been self employed for 30 years. I think I would have some sort of breakdown/explosion if I'd stayed as an employee.

Following on from Charlottesquare's comments, at 61 I cut back to c.2/3 of full time, so about 1,000 hours per year. At 65 I will start the process of quitting altogether. Cutting back at first was great, the working hours were a breeze. Now some years later, I'm finding I can't wait to quit altogether.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » August 19th, 2021, 10:23 am

Sounds like he's a right tw*t. Must be difficult to hold your tongue.

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » August 19th, 2021, 10:24 am

bluedonkey wrote:

Sounds like he's a right tw*t. Must be difficult to hold your tongue.

You have no idea! Retiring before I get myself sacked ;)

TedSwippet
Lemon Slice

Postby TedSwippet » August 19th, 2021, 12:16 pm

Darka wrote:I think a gym is a great idea, I definitely want to spend more time on fitness and strength.

Highly recommended. I'd never set foot in one before retiring, and now I'm there five days a week, sometimes more. It's very much my 'go-to' activity these days. The initial plan was yoga and swimming, but it turns out these are the gateway drugs to weight lifting, HIIT, cycling, and so on. Never especially unfit, but I'm fitter now than I've ever been.

A particular benefit is that this is not goal-oriented activity. Rather, it is open-ended; you can never be too fit! It can also be very sociable, particularly if you use the organised studio classes. At work, I'd spend most of my time alongside people with backgrounds like mine; deep, but narrow. These days, I meet a far wider cross-section of folk, with a shared interest.

One other suggestion. Spend the next couple of months designing your retirement. I found it best to aim for a mindset of retiring to something, rather than from something. Ideally, most of what you spend time on wants to be (as above) open-ended. No harm in having some goals, but these have two potential problems: the feeling of failure if you miss one; and what to do next if you reach one!

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 19th, 2021, 12:31 pm

Darka wrote:

He sounds like the sort of manager where him sulking off out the way whilst you work out your final weeks might sound like a 'win-win' situation for you, so long as HR can ensure the exit-processes run smoothly!

Keep smiling.....that'll wind him up....

:O)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » August 19th, 2021, 12:44 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Darka wrote:

He sounds like the sort of manager where him sulking off out the way whilst you work out your final weeks might sound like a 'win-win' situation for you, so long as HR can ensure the exit-processes run smoothly!

Keep smiling.....that'll wind him up....

:O)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

He's maybe just realised he's going to have to start doing all the work ....

You could have some fun drip feeding a heap of emails into his inbox over the next two weeks, on the pretext of trying to be helpful with handover of your work etc. cc his boss on a random selection (maybe not all of them) if you want to ratchet up the fun a little more.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 19th, 2021, 12:45 pm

TedSwippet wrote:
Darka wrote:I think a gym is a great idea, I definitely want to spend more time on fitness and strength.

Highly recommended. I'd never set foot in one before retiring, and now I'm there five days a week, sometimes more. It's very much my 'go-to' activity these days. The initial plan was yoga and swimming, but it turns out these are the gateway drugs to weight lifting, HIIT, cycling, and so on. Never especially unfit, but I'm fitter now than I've ever been.

A particular benefit is that this is not goal-oriented activity. Rather, it is open-ended; you can never be too fit! It can also be very sociable, particularly if you use the organised studio classes. At work, I'd spend most of my time alongside people with backgrounds like mine; deep, but narrow. These days, I meet a far wider cross-section of folk, with a shared interest.

One other suggestion. Spend the next couple of months designing your retirement. I found it best to aim for a mindset of retiring to something, rather than from something. Ideally, most of what you spend time on wants to be (as above) open-ended. No harm in having some goals, but these have two potential problems: the feeling of failure if you miss one; and what to do next if you reach one!

I would agree about widening your circle of friends/acquaintances but I would warn against getting too fanatical about any activity, including getting fit. Spend more time with your family. That is first and foremost the most important activity. Then see if you can doing something for a charity and help to contribute. Getting fit in the way that TS seems to be advocating seems would be my idea of hell but we are all different.

Designing your retirement?

Dod

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » August 19th, 2021, 12:47 pm

TedSwippet wrote:One other suggestion. Spend the next couple of months designing your retirement. I found it best to aim for a mindset of retiring to something, rather than from something. Ideally, most of what you spend time on wants to be (as above) open-ended. No harm in having some goals, but these have two potential problems: the feeling of failure if you miss one; and what to do next if you reach one!

Champion suggestion.

I am even toying with the idea of getting back into RC model yacht racing - I did this about 25 years ago in Paris (Bois de Boulogne lake) and then children happened....

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » August 19th, 2021, 12:53 pm

Well done!

I'm aiming for 'a' June to retire. 2022 is looking increasingly unlikely , so prob 2023 unless I win the Lottery etc

My retirement plans;
Pottering
Reading (the activity, not the town I live near..)
Playing guitar
Getting back into actually doing some electronics/amateur radio
and
supporting local pubs in the company of good friends...

TedSwippet
Lemon Slice

Postby TedSwippet » August 19th, 2021, 2:12 pm

Dod101 wrote:Getting fit in the way that TS seems to be advocating seems would be my idea of hell ...

Gosh. Really?

I'm not at the gym all day for five days a week. Half an hour or 45 min, or perhaps an hour for a full class. Ideally in the morning, between breakfast and a coffee. This is less than half the time I spent just commuting while working, so plenty of time in the remainder of the day for other things. My wife is only too happy to see me depart the house for an hour or so.

Exercising provides you with energy and motivation for other things; it doesn't take it away from them.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 19th, 2021, 2:51 pm

TedSwippet wrote:Highly recommended. I'd never set foot in one before retiring, and now I'm there five days a week, sometimes more. It's very much my 'go-to' activity these days. The initial plan was yoga and swimming, but it turns out these are the gateway drugs to weight lifting, HIIT, cycling, and so on. Never especially unfit, but I'm fitter now than I've ever been.

A particular benefit is that this is not goal-oriented activity. Rather, it is open-ended; you can never be too fit!

If you read this para again you give the impression that you are never away from the gym. And actually I think there is such a thing as overdoing it on the exercise front.

I have been retired for 25 years and have never set foot inside a gym. I walk a lot, used to cycle, I garden a lot and do all my own DIY stuff, but the beauty of being retired is that you do not have to plan stuff. You can just take each day as it comes and do whatever you fancy. Whizz off to the coast for a nice lunch or go off to Northern Ireland to visit my son (as I am just about to do)

As I say each to his own and obviously you get a lot of satisfaction from the gym. I get a lot from covering 4/5 miles most days on foot in the fresh air.

Dod

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » August 20th, 2021, 5:31 pm

bluedonkey wrote:The comments on here about the unpleasantness of the working environment are salutary. I have been self employed for 30 years. I think I would have some sort of breakdown/explosion if I'd stayed as an employee.

Following on from Charlottesquare's comments, at 61 I cut back to c.2/3 of full time, so about 1,000 hours per year. At 65 I will start the process of quitting altogether. Cutting back at first was great, the working hours were a breeze. Now some years later, I'm finding I can't wait to quit altogether.

For me the cutting back over time has given me the chance to take on other activities to supplant work, so now far more involved with a fishing club of which I am a member and recently got an allotment. The other bonus has been being healthier because more exercise/time outdoors, even my legs are picking up a tan from being away from a desk more often. The exercise also makes me generally happier when I am at work and more productive.

The last addition to the puzzle will be picking up some activities which exercise the mind and memory when I do retire so am considering some of the Edinburgh University Short Courses and will be taking up cryptic crosswords which I dabbled with when younger.

https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/short-courses/subjects

This retiring lark is hard work.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » August 20th, 2021, 8:11 pm

Gyms are my idea of hell too. Instead I do conservation work, an hours walk to the work site, 2 hours killing trees, hours walk home, 3 hours on the sofa as my back seizes up! Big plus after a computing career is there is no attention to detail to needed, and the tasks are open ended, there are always more trees that need to die, and it doesn't matter if you miss a few.

Return to “Retirement Investing (inc FIRE)”