Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Fired!

Including Financial Independence and Retiring Early (FIRE)
Darka
Lemon Slice

Fired!

Postby Darka » August 18th, 2021, 9:17 am

I've just come out of a meeting with my manager, in which I resigned.

He was a little shocked as it was completely unexpected and I am quite pivotal to some of the work at my company.
He did of course ask if there was anything he could do to make me stay, my answer was of course no.

After a couple of difficult months at work I've had enough.

I'm 52 next month, so not hugely early retirement wise, but it'll do.
For the first time in a long time, I feel free.

regards,
Darka

Darka
Lemon Slice

Re: Fired!

Postby Darka » August 18th, 2021, 9:31 am

ReallyVeryFoolish wrote:Well done. It's a terrific achievement being able to take control of your life's destiny. By choice I waited till I was 63 before doing the same as you, with the usual pleas to keep working and so on ignored.

Take control and enjoy your life. You've obviously worked hard towards such a great outcome.

RVF

Thank you, I'm surprised how much calmer I feel already.

The relief was almost instant, it's been a very hard few months and that bought forward my plans.

Snakey
Lemon Pip

Postby Snakey » August 18th, 2021, 9:53 am

Well done! What's your notice period?

Like you, I was surprised at how instant that feeling of relief was. The second surprise I had was how rapidly work, and all the related concerns, ceased to matter after I'd left (sounds obvious when I say it, but I suppose that's part of it as well, the fact that it didn't feel at all obvious beforehand) - you know, all that work you're pivotal to - so you have that to look forward to now as well!

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » August 18th, 2021, 10:07 am

Snakey wrote:Well done! What's your notice period?

Like you, I was surprised at how instant that feeling of relief was. The second surprise I had was how rapidly work, and all the related concerns, ceased to matter after I'd left (sounds obvious when I say it, but I suppose that's part of it as well, the fact that it didn't feel at all obvious beforehand) - you know, all that work you're pivotal to - so you have that to look forward to now as well!

Thank you!

3 months, although I have nearly a month in holiday saved up.

I stopped caring about that pivotal work a while ago, I still do my best of course but will be glad to hand the reigns over to others.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » August 18th, 2021, 11:00 am

Darka wrote:, I feel free.

Bomp, bomp, bomp, bomp, bomp etc. (I'll be getting my coat ...)

Contgratulations.

What next?

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » August 18th, 2021, 11:03 am

moorfield wrote:
Darka wrote:, I feel free.

Bomp, bomp, bomp, bomp, bomp etc. (I'll be getting my coat ...)

Contgratulations.

What next?

:D

Decompression for a while, then some decorating to organise and some holiday's to have.
I can also focus more on my hobbies, running, guitar, etc. and maybe find some new ones.

Can't wait until my last day!!

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » August 18th, 2021, 11:56 am

Darka wrote:I've just come out of a meeting with my manager, in which I resigned.

He was a little shocked as it was completely unexpected and I am quite pivotal to some of the work at my company.
He did of course ask if there was anything he could do to make me stay, my answer was of course no.

regards,
Darka

Not to suggest a late change in your course, but if they’re really desperate, I’d ask for a consulting contract. Say 20 days per quarter at a daily rate of 1% of your current annual salary. Take it or leave it.

From what I’ve read, a gradual off-ramp into FIRE can be mentally easier to deal with than cold turkey.

To be clear, I haven’t fired so others may have more experience but if I could agree that sort of deal I’d personally do it in a heartbeat.

In any case, congratulations. Expect to be there myself in 18 months or so.

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » August 18th, 2021, 12:07 pm

Spet0789 wrote:Not to suggest a late change in your course, but if they’re really desperate, I’d ask for a consulting contract. Say 20 days per quarter at a daily rate of 1% of your current annual salary. Take it or leave it.

From what I’ve read, a gradual off-ramp into FIRE can be mentally easier to deal with than cold turkey.

To be clear, I haven’t fired so others may have more experience but if I could agree that sort of deal I’d personally do it in a heartbeat.

I did consider it, but I think it depends on why you are leaving, my working environment is pretty toxic, plus I have tons of things I'd rather be doing :)

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » August 18th, 2021, 12:14 pm

Darka wrote:
Spet0789 wrote:Not to suggest a late change in your course, but if they’re really desperate, I’d ask for a consulting contract. Say 20 days per quarter at a daily rate of 1% of your current annual salary. Take it or leave it.

I did consider it, but I think it depends on why you are leaving, my working environment is pretty toxic, plus I have tons of things I'd rather be doing :)

Then enjoy!

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » August 18th, 2021, 12:17 pm

Yes congratulations on taking the plunge.

But it is a huge step going straight from full time to nothing.

I got completely fed up in my job when I was 50 (full equity partner in London in a large firm of international accountants, been there nearly 30 years) and resigned as I had sufficient not to need to work. It was not just the pressure of work but all the other cr*p that goes with being high up in a business like that. I really thought in that position one was either in or out, no half way. Much to my surprise the managing partner and others were horrified and prepared to do almost anything to get me to stay. So I agreed to carry on as a part time partner just doing what I wanted, which was servicing my one very very large client. No admin, no marketing, no staff management etc etc. Wonderful! That went on for another 13 years gradually winding down, so the transition was very easy.

Good luck!

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » August 18th, 2021, 12:25 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:Yes congratulations on taking the plunge.

But it is a huge step going straight from full time to nothing.

I got completely fed up in my job when I was 50 (full equity partner in London in a large firm of international accountants, been there nearly 30 years) and resigned as I had sufficient not to need to work. It was not just the pressure of work but all the other cr*p that goes with being high up in a business like that. I really thought in that position one was either in or out, no half way. Much to my surprise the managing partner and others were horrified and prepared to do almost anything to get me to stay. So I agreed to carry on as a part time partner just doing what I wanted, which was servicing my one very very large client. No admin, no marketing, no staff management etc etc. Wonderful! That went on for another 13 years gradually winding down, so the transition was very easy.

Good luck!

That sounds like it worked out nicely and was the right thing to do.

I have decided that if I need to (for any reason) work again, then it would be contracting and never again full time employment.
But I could never work for my current employer again, too many bad memories unfortunately.

Hariseldon58
Lemon Slice

Postby Hariseldon58 » August 18th, 2021, 1:11 pm

Well done, I went at 49, suddenly, it worked out well. I had six months destressing and one day I woke up not sure what to do that day and that led me down the route of some part time work, of things I wanted to do, not particulacy financially rewarding, but enough to remain energised. No longer have time to do any work !

With respect to your absence from your work, they’ll get over it. It was described to me thus, imagine your contribution to the organisation being your fist in a bucket of water, take your fist out, can you see the hole remaining ?

mickeypops
2 Lemon pips

Postby mickeypops » August 18th, 2021, 1:33 pm

It’s a wonderful feeling isn’t it? Mrs MP and me retired on the same day in 2018, from (different) long term employers. Neither of us ever had a backward glance……

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » August 18th, 2021, 2:10 pm

Hariseldon58 wrote:Well done, I went at 49, suddenly, it worked out well. I had six months destressing and one day I woke up not sure what to do that day and that led me down the route of some part time work, of things I wanted to do, not particulacy financially rewarding, but enough to remain energised. No longer have time to do any work !

With respect to your absence from your work, they’ll get over it. It was described to me thus, imagine your contribution to the organisation being your fist in a bucket of water, take your fist out, can you see the hole remaining ?

Thanks,

I think 6 months to recover sounds about right for me too, then who knows! I'm excited to find out.

Yes, I suspect they will get over me quickly, especially now they have to

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » August 18th, 2021, 2:11 pm

mickeypops wrote:It’s a wonderful feeling isn’t it? Mrs MP and me retired on the same day in 2018, from (different) long term employers. Neither of us ever had a backward glance……

It is indeed - very liberating and I feel calm and stress free for the first time in a long time.

Work had become stale and I'm excited about the future.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 18th, 2021, 4:17 pm

Darka wrote:

Bravo - it's always nice to see people get over the finish line. I think it encourages the rest of us who haven't quite made it yet...

I hope you're able to keep us regularly updated on how you find moving from 'earning' to 'spending', and how your estimates on future requirements (spending, buffers etc...) actually play out in reality.

I like that you've used the word 'decompress' elsewhere in the thread - take your time and enjoy it...

All the best,

Itsallaguess

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » August 18th, 2021, 4:46 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Darka wrote:

Bravo - it's always nice to see people get over the finish line. I think it encourages the rest of us who haven't quite made it yet...

I hope you're able to keep us regularly updated on how you find moving from 'earning' to 'spending', and how your estimates on future requirements (spending, buffers etc...) actually play out in reality.

I like that you've used the word 'decompress' elsewhere in the thread - take your time and enjoy it...

All the best,

Itsallaguess

Thanks Itsallaguess,

Indeed I shall, we don't start living off our dividend income until January 1st as my notice period will pay for the rest of this year.
But I shall post an update later in the year with some details on the reserve/buffers/etc, in case anyone finds it interesting.

I think decompressing from work is very important and often overlooked, or even rushed.

regards,
Darka

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » August 18th, 2021, 5:05 pm

It's no trivial thing decompressing. It took me over three years from a part-time two day week very intense job. Too many people give up after a year or so and go back.

I wish I'd retired at fifty. I didn't have the courage but in hindsight could easily have managed financially.

You can't buy time.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » August 18th, 2021, 5:34 pm

Darka wrote:I've just come out of a meeting with my manager, in which I resigned.

regards,
Darka

The world is your lobster!
I am 2.5 weeks into retirement. So far so good.
Just joined a gym, planning my first visit tomorrow morning. Starting at a tennis club next month, etc
:D

Darka
Lemon Slice

Postby Darka » August 18th, 2021, 5:38 pm

CliffEdge wrote:It's no trivial thing decompressing. It took me over three years from a part-time two day week very intense job. Too many people give up after a year or so and go back.

Completely agree, I'm not in any rush and have lots of things I'd like to do to keep my busy.

CliffEdge wrote: I wish I'd retired at fifty. I didn't have the courage but in hindsight could easily have managed financially.

You can't buy time.

Very true, my wife is older which was the main driver for me wanting to retire earlier.

Return to “Retirement Investing (inc FIRE)”