Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Cash or bonds?

Including Financial Independence and Retiring Early (FIRE)
UnclePhilip
2 Lemon pips

Re: Cash or bonds?

Postby UnclePhilip » November 29th, 2021, 5:14 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:.... If you invest that in a gilt edged stock guaranteed by the UK government, with 1 year to maturity, you will get 0.269%:

https://www.fixedincomeinvestor.co.uk/x ... ?groupid=3

Looking at this, it appears that I'd need to buy a bond maturing in 6 years to achieve Saga's 0.6%. Am I reading this right?

Of course, that's before trying to understand the valuation of secondary market gilts; which starts to give me a headache. How much capital risk is there? For a cash reserve to help in a capital bear market, that sounds a bit of a stretch....

Uncle

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » November 29th, 2021, 7:13 pm

UnclePhilip wrote:Looking at this, it appears that I'd need to buy a bond maturing in 6 years to achieve Saga's 0.6%. Am I reading this right?

One ready reckoner is that when the required redemption yield is about the same as the coupon, then the price of the bond would be around 100. If your example was the UK Treasury with a coupon of 4.25%, then the current price is 121.338. It's going to drop to 100 anyway by maturity in December 2027. In the meantime you've got the interest distribution, so it's converting capital into income for you.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » November 29th, 2021, 7:31 pm

UnclePhilip wrote:
GeoffF100 wrote:.... If you invest that in a gilt edged stock guaranteed by the UK government, with 1 year to maturity, you will get 0.269%:

https://www.fixedincomeinvestor.co.uk/x ... ?groupid=3

Looking at this, it appears that I'd need to buy a bond maturing in 6 years to achieve Saga's 0.6%. Am I reading this right?

Of course, that's before trying to understand the valuation of secondary market gilts; which starts to give me a headache. How much capital risk is there? For a cash reserve to help in a capital bear market, that sounds a bit of a stretch....

Yes, you are right. The risk is that the UK government defaults on its debt. It would then be more expensive for it to borrow money. You get a premium rate of interest from the small banks, with a guarantee because the government wants competition in the banking market.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » November 29th, 2021, 7:34 pm

Alaric wrote:
UnclePhilip wrote:Looking at this, it appears that I'd need to buy a bond maturing in 6 years to achieve Saga's 0.6%. Am I reading this right?

One ready reckoner is that when the required redemption yield is about the same as the coupon, then the price of the bond would be around 100. If your example was the UK Treasury with a coupon of 4.25%, then the current price is 121.338. It's going to drop to 100 anyway by maturity in December 2027. In the meantime you've got the interest distribution, so it's converting capital into income for you.

Yes that is right. The gilt I chose had a coupon of 0.125%, but most gilts are above par and rubbish outside a tax shelter. Retail investors are also likely to get rotten prices unless they do big trades over the telephone.

hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Postby hiriskpaul » November 30th, 2021, 1:17 am

How exactly is this £45k cash pot managed? ie have you established under what circumstances will you draw on it instead of drawing an income from your other investments?

The reason I ask is that if you do not have criteria for drawing on the cash for spending it may just sit there forever. In which case you would be better of investing it.

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » November 30th, 2021, 8:54 am

hiriskpaul wrote:How exactly is this £45k cash pot managed? ie have you established under what circumstances will you draw on it instead of drawing an income from your other investments?

The reason I ask is that if you do not have criteria for drawing on the cash for spending it may just sit there forever. In which case you would be better of investing it.

If it is supposed to be a cash buffer for the hard times* then ideally there would be no hard times and it would sit there forever. Alternatively you could have a strategy of using it first but replenishing it as you go but in essence that is the equivalent of using the funds used to replenish it and leaving it forever.

* Hard times being those times when the income being generated by your portfolio is less than you need (which itself may vary to some extent as between what you normally want and what you really really need depending on how much you can or want to cut back on spending).

hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Postby hiriskpaul » November 30th, 2021, 11:12 am

ursaminortaur wrote:
hiriskpaul wrote:How exactly is this £45k cash pot managed? ie have you established under what circumstances will you draw on it instead of drawing an income from your other investments?

If it is supposed to be a cash buffer for the hard times* then ideally there would be no hard times and it would sit there forever. Alternatively you could have a strategy of using it first but replenishing it as you go but in essence that is the equivalent of using the funds used to replenish it and leaving it forever.

* Hard times being those times when the income being generated by your portfolio is less than you need (which itself may vary to some extent as between what you normally want and what you really really need depending on how much you can or want to cut back on spending).

The definition of "hard times" is the issue. Unless there is a more concrete strategy to draw on the £45k in "hard times" it is difficult to judge whether it is the right amount of cash to hold. I would suggest that instead of having a fixed £45k, the money is rolled into the investment and income plan. Out of that plan a figure to hold in cash/bonds should arise, along with rules for drawing on it in hard times and replenishing it in good. The OP may already have a plan of course.

UnclePhilip
2 Lemon pips

Postby UnclePhilip » November 30th, 2021, 12:15 pm

Good question. There is nothing 'exact' about my thinking, but the circumstances under which I imagine drawing on it are those where our investments have fallen sufficiently that I'd rather leave them undisturbed and recover rather than crystallise a large loss.

When markets plunged over 30% in the rapid Covid bear market (end March 2020 I think?), I was sitting on a large cash pot from the recent sale of an investment property. I was astonished at the rapid collapse, and by the time it got to about 25% (I think, would have to check records) I stuck a large chunk of the money into Vanguard global trackers. Caution stopped me from going all in, but with an 'eternity' portfolio bear markets don't have the power to cause panic.

Or, put another way, perhaps I'm just too placid....

Uncle

UnclePhilip
2 Lemon pips

Postby UnclePhilip » November 30th, 2021, 12:18 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:

Essentially, it's part safety net and part insurance policy.

Either way, one hopes it'll not be needed, but realises it may be....

Uncle

UnclePhilip
2 Lemon pips

Postby UnclePhilip » November 30th, 2021, 12:22 pm

hiriskpaul wrote:The definition of "hard times" is the issue. Unless there is a more concrete strategy to draw on the £45k in "hard times" it is difficult to judge whether it is the right amount of cash to hold. I would suggest that instead of having a fixed £45k, the money is rolled into the investment and income plan. Out of that plan a figure to hold in cash/bonds should arise, along with rules for drawing on it in hard times and replenishing it in good. The OP may already have a plan of course.

I do find this very interesting.

As written a couple of minutes ago, what I have is not a very exact 'plan'.

Could you expand a bit more about this 'investment and income plan'? And how you derive the figure to hold in cash/bonds? And the rules for drawing and replenishing? I think this is something I may have been missing....

Uncle

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » November 30th, 2021, 1:59 pm

UnclePhilip wrote:
hiriskpaul wrote:The definition of "hard times" is the issue. Unless there is a more concrete strategy to draw on the £45k in "hard times" it is difficult to judge whether it is the right amount of cash to hold. I would suggest that instead of having a fixed £45k, the money is rolled into the investment and income plan. Out of that plan a figure to hold in cash/bonds should arise, along with rules for drawing on it in hard times and replenishing it in good. The OP may already have a plan of course.

Could you expand a bit more about this 'investment and income plan'? And how you derive the figure to hold in cash/bonds? And the rules for drawing and replenishing? I think this is something I may have been missing....

Uncle

A plan may or may not involve replenishing, at least not for a long period of time that may outlive you. Consider as one example the start of 1997 you retired and opted to drop 66% into CASH - such as a 3 year gilt ladder, 34% into stocks, say TJH HYP accumulation or a FT250 accumulation, and drew a 3% SWR i.e. 3% of the portfolio value at the start, where that amount was uplifted by RPI inflation each year and drawn at the start of subsequent years as your income. Spending CASH first. As of the end of 2020 you'd have around enough for two more years of spending that cash left, whilst the initial 0.34 invested into FT250 accumulation had grown to 1.6 times the inflation adjusted start date portfolio value. Started with 33/67 stock/bond is near at 100/0 stock/bond, time averaging 67/33 (actual to end of 2020 averaged 62/38 stock/bond). A consistent inflation adjusted income stream, with low earlier year sequence of returns risk, and as of more recent having over 1.5 times the inflation adjusted start date capital still available.

Other plans such as Warren Buffett's 90/10 suggests drawing income from stocks in years when stocks are up and look to replenish bonds to be 10% of the portfolio, otherwise spend from bonds (don't rebalance from bonds into stocks)

...etc.

The simple act of holding some "bonds" as part of a asset allocation provides a means to cover 'emergency' or hard-times spending. If for instance a (poorly contrived example) big storm hit the UK and crashed stock prices and it was declared that insurance companies didn't have to pay out to replace roofs, then selling some bonds might cover the expense of replacing your own. That might blow your investment plan out of the water, but avoided having to sell stocks at depressed prices.

EDIT: The former plan could be extended to include perhaps re-set/restart once you were down to perhaps 10% (whatever) cash remaining, assuming you lived another 20+ years before that point occurred, so as to replenish your 'reserves'. That plan also has optionality - if for instance stocks crashed in the earlier years then the high bond weighting might mean you endured relatively small losses and could swap the portfolio for a all-stock version with a high forward time reward potential, or perhaps into index linked gilts that were maybe being priced to 3% real yields ... whatever.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » November 30th, 2021, 2:16 pm

Investment and income plan, Hard times or emergency fund are as I understand it quite different.

If your spending needs are met, by shall we say a mix of final salary pension and state pension, then you just need a emergency/hard times fund.
If however this is not the case then you need to plan your investments around liqudation dates and relative risks.

I am still working, but at the early stages of doing such planning. I have tried to split my portfolio into short term/ lowish risk, Medium term and "Adventurous". My intent is along the lines of a 30-40-30 split. As I will recieve the state pension and a similar amount from a DB scheme I regard that as a safe ratio.

However I am struggling with my nature. My short and medium term are tending to blur and the short term in particular carries too much risk as I dislike bonds. The bond fund and cash add up to 6% while my wealth preservation IT is only another 3%.

When I retire and start to drawdown, not only will I have to re-balance the investments to maintain the bands but I shall also need to consider sequence risk in my liquidations. Liquidations will also tend to move the bands without re-balancing effort. Taking income only from the short term investments will increase the risk of the portfolio.

None of the above directly considers the difference between investing for income, value or growth. It gets difficult indeed when you add that into the thought process.

hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Postby hiriskpaul » November 30th, 2021, 2:47 pm

UnclePhilip wrote:

Uncle

As others have said, there is more than one approach. To take the most basic, something like a fixed 90/10 equities/cash split, you spend from the cash, topping up with dividends and once per year rebalance. If equities are up, you get more cash, if down you have less. Another approach, as proposed by McClung and others is to spend from cash/bonds, only top-up from the equities portfolio when it is up in real terms and never rebalance back into equities. If you run out of cash/bonds you withdraw from the equities until such time as the portfolio is up in real terms again (which may never happen of course). Whether you take dividends or reinvest is a matter of personal preference. Personally I would take them and add to cash, but McClung advocates reinvesting and only selling equities when they are up 20% or more in real terms.

I always have a lot of cash, which I use for margin on option trading, so I have no use for an emergency fund. I occasionally rebalance my fixed income and equity portfolios as well and for the moment tend to reinvest dividends.

Once you work out your plan, you can see whether you actually need a separate cash allocation at all and if so get an idea as to how much it should actually be.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » November 30th, 2021, 4:47 pm

hiriskpaul wrote:I always have a lot of cash, which I use for margin on option trading, so I have no use for an emergency fund.

I hold FT250 exposure via a combination of 1x and half weighted 2x (2MCL WisdomTree), so adjustments can release cash without adjusting actual equity exposure levels. Paramount to being able to borrow at the rate that the 2x fund pays for leverage/borrowing. Somewhat like being able to raise cash by shorting bonds. £100K of 1x, swap over to £50K in 2x, £50K in bonds and generally the rewards are similar/same (US based equivalent data). Spend the £50K that otherwise would have been in bonds and the cost of that cash is the same as the bond yield/reward. Since 2007 that potential cost has been similar to the 1-3 year treasury bond fund rate (relatively inexpensive).

Can also be used as a means to squeeze more equity exposure into ISA space (2x in ISA, bonds earning near nothing outside of ISA).

hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Postby hiriskpaul » November 30th, 2021, 4:54 pm

1nvest wrote:
hiriskpaul wrote:I always have a lot of cash, which I use for margin on option trading, so I have no use for an emergency fund.

I hold FT250 exposure via a combination of 1x and half weighted 2x (2MCL WisdomTree), so adjustments can release cash without adjusting actual equity exposure levels. Paramount to being able to borrow at the rate that the 2x fund pays for leverage/borrowing. Somewhat like being able to raise cash by shorting bonds. £100K of 1x, swap over to £50K in 2x, £50K in bonds and generally the rewards are similar/same (US based equivalent data). Spend the £50K that otherwise would have been in bonds and the cost of that cash is the same as the bond yield/reward. Since 2007 that potential cost has been similar to the 1-3 year treasury bond fund rate (relatively inexpensive).

Can also be used as a means to squeeze more equity exposure into ISA space (2x in ISA, bonds earning near nothing outside of ISA).

Interesting thought. I guess someone could use a margin account or spread bet account if they wanted cash in a hurry and remain fully invested. Neither would work well with ISAs or SIPPs though.

An alternative would be to just wing it. Stay fully invested and just be prepared to sell in an emergency. There is a risk markets could be down at the time, but to offset that the emergency fund is fully invested most of the time.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » November 30th, 2021, 5:08 pm

hiriskpaul wrote:
1nvest wrote:

Interesting thought. I guess someone could use a margin account or spread bet account if they wanted cash in a hurry and remain fully invested. Neither would work well with ISAs or SIPPs though.

An alternative would be to just wing it. Stay fully invested and just be prepared to sell in an emergency. There is a risk markets could be down at the time, but to offset that the emergency fund is fully invested most of the time.

I like the 'cash' (bond) option of a three way US$ primary reserve currency, £ domestic currency, global currency diversity (stock/bond/commodity asset diversity). US stocks, UK cash, gold. US example. For that 'plan' I outlined a few posts back when that was 'CASH' initial 66% allocation in 1997, after 3% SWR that is down to around 59% (real) as of end of 2020 i.e. 'cash' has hardly been touched whilst on the growth side the likes of FT250/TJH-HYP have seen reasonable growth.

Return to “Retirement Investing (inc FIRE)”